Cannot boot without USB

rhui099

32 posts in this topic

Will your laptop boot from the target HD when it is installed in the external USB enclosure?  I ask because I worked on a laptop that would not boot from a GUID partitioned HD when installed in the laptop. I needed to partition MBR to get the machine to boot from the internal HD.  Mac OS will run from an MBR HD but it will not install without modifying the OS X installer. In my case I cloned an installed OS X to the MBR HD (the clone utility complained but did it's job when I insisted it do so) and then installed Chameleon to the HD.

I'll try doing that later because I'm already running a 7-pass secure disk erase on my hdd that started 5 hours ago..and I'm afraid to skip it which can possibly break my hdd in the process...(or not, i dunno)

I'm curious if my hard disk is causing the problem..can I just replace it with SSD and dual boot from there? Or is the problem caused by the laptop itself?

Because if replacing the hdd would work, then I'll just buy one and ditch my current hdd..leave it in the enclosure for good; I plan to buy an SSD later anyway.

I doubt the problem is the HD. In my case the laptop would not recognize a GUID partitioned HD. The 'problem' was in BIOS not HD, I could find no settings where the BIOS would recognize the HD.

When setting up a laptop to be a Mac I clone an installed Mac OS to the laptop HD from one of my desktops. I use Digital Dreamer's script to add and remove kexts and install the bootloader to the laptop's HD. I then install the HD into the laptop and make any changes required to various kexts to get as many functions as possible working on the laptop. To change to MBR from GUID I reformated the HD and went through the clone process (I use CarbonCopyClone for cloning) again.

I use Digital Dreamer's script to add and remove kexts and install the bootloader to the laptop's HD.

Can you please give me a link to that script? So I can try it out.  ^_^

I did a search on the forums and found this, is the script named "HackInstaller.zip" ?

Also, if that method goes well, do I still have to use that script to add kexts in the future? or can I normally proceed with KextUtility?

Yes, that's the script. Carefully read DD's first post in that thread as explains well how to use the script and what it does. There is nothing "magical" about the Script, it's merely a tool that can do a number of things to aid one in creating a Hack.

If you want to use some other utility to add kexts after running his script you can do so as his script does not add/alter any 'special', hidden kexts. His script keeps a copy of replaced kexts in the Extensions folder and restores them when you remove kexts you have added using the Script.

• Like 1

Yes, that's the script. Carefully read DD's first post in that thread as explains well how to use the script and what it does. There is nothing "magical" about the Script, it's merely a tool that can do a number of things to aid one in creating a Hack.

If you want to use some other utility to add kexts after running his script you can do so as his script does not add/alter any 'special', hidden kexts. His script keeps a copy of replaced kexts in the Extensions folder and restores them when you remove kexts you have added using the Script.

I used DD's script to install chameleon boot loader from another hackintosh to my target HD (in a usb enclosure), then I installed the target hdd back to my laptop, and it still did not work.

I found a fix though, I noticed that when I startup my laptop, there are two options: press F2 for BIOS Setup or press F4 for recovery. I can boot without using a USB by pressing F4 on boot (boot to recovery disk) and chameleon runs fine.

Given my setup, I think I can conclude that a GUID partition would not be able to boot via chameleon (not sure about clover), but I think an MBR partition would be able to boot through without going to recovery (F4), I can try that but I've already put too much time just to make my current install work, I guess I will try some other time since my goal is to have an OS X environment to code apps with.

Btw, I am missing sound for my Samsung RF511 (the RF511 that has i7 2670QM cpu and HD3000/GT 540M graphics), I can only have sound via bluetooth (headset/speaker).

I tried DPCI Manager and it says i have a 6 series/c200 series chipset family high def audio controller, i hope I can find that somewhere.

Thank you very much PimentelX86iFIRE, and everdone for all of your help and effort, I really appreciate it.

Have you tried VoodooHDA for audio? There is one in the Hacinstaller audio/repository/VoodooHDA folder. Be advised that AppleHDA and VoodooHDA will cause a KP if both are installed in S/L/E. So either delete AppleHDA before installing VoodooHDA or install AppleHDADisabler along with VoodooHDA to prevent the KP.

You can use hackinstaller to install the kexts or use one of the kextinstall utilities. If you use Hackinstaller make sure the kext folders in the 10.9Kexts folder contain only the kexts you have used to configure your laptop. The 'stock' version contains the kexts for DD's gigabyte board. You need to configure the kext folders to contain only the kexts you have used for your laptop (kexts in the 'repository' folder do not get installed). When installing kexts using Hackinstaller make sure the kexts are toggled to install to 'system' not 'Extra' if you have Usekextcache set to yes.

• 1 month later...

Hey man i have the same problem, and the same laptop! (with i5 & 8GB RAM) I was wondering if you ever got it to work? and to get the sound to work you ]need to use kext utility to install this (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=106490)