6 replies to this topic

passoporto

passoporto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Greetings,

I just upgraded my cpu from a 3.16 GHz Core 2 Duo to a Xeon X5460 3.16 GHz Quad Core by doing the 771 to 775 mod. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P31-3GS with a paltry 2 Gigs of DDR2 SDRAM 666MHz. I'm running a dual boot system with OSX Lion 10.7.5 and Windows XP SP3. The problem I'm having is that my EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512 MB shows just a black and grey screen with a few white boxes (like a test pattern) after boot-up. Booting with -v revealed a problem with NVEnabler and someone (from the site that cannot be named) suggested making a custom DSDT which I did and was able to boot (using the old Core2 Duo) with Graphics Enabler=No and eliminating NVEnabler from S/L/E.

However, using the Xeon X5460 I get the same black and grey screen. I am able to boot with the Xeon if I disable the DSDT, use GE=Yes and with PCIRoot=0 but then I only get 1024x768 resolution and, of course, no acceleration.

What makes this so fustrating is it boots up perfectly with Windows XP! Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Oops. I forgot to mention that when I go to System Info it correctly identifies the Quad Core CPU as a Xeon X5460. And I also noticed that when I successfully booted with the Xeon (again DSDT off, use GE=Yes and with PCIRoot=0) Temperature Monitor no longer was able to read any CPU temps-only temp for my HDD.

passoporto

passoporto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

All aboard!!! The GA-P31-S3G is now leaving on Track 1 direct to Harpertown!!

I finally found success in swapping out the IOPCIFAMILY and AppleACPIPlatform kext from my SL Retail DVD as detailed by Douggle here in this thread

http://www.insanelym...ull-qeqi/page-3

I noticed his error log was almost exactly the same as mine http://pastebin.com/3aZ8kuwV and later he mentions that when he disabled NVEnabler his System would hang at the NVDANV50.hal kext. Exactly like mine. Although, why the Quad Core needed this rollback is still a mystery. I'm wondering if this problem would have simply gone  away with an upgrade to ML or Mavericks? Anyone?

I haven't been able to drive my system in anger just yet as I only have the stock Core2 Duo fan but everything seems to be working. I even have Dual Monitor support and hot swapping.

I installed the latest HWSensors Binaries and now I have CPU monitoring capabilities although the Heatsink and Main Logic board temps show a continuous 126 C and 73C. (This seems to be a bug and has been reported by other posters as well). Also it seems that Temperature Monitor has some limited capabilities with the installation of the HWSensors kexts because now it too shows all cpu temps and the erroneous Heatsink and Main Logic board temps but no voltage or fan speeds.

Thanks again. And thanks Douggle!

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts

That you have to boot with DSDT=no suggests to me that you should re-extract your DSDT with the Xeon CPU installed, and patch it again.

DSDT is fixed-function but its contents will change when enabling CPU features in the BIOS, or installing a CPU that supports different features, installing more RAM etc.

Deliberately setting PCIRoot incorrectly will prevent EthernetBuiltIn and GraphicsEnabler from working. Possibly other things as well once OS X is running, not sure, I've never tried it, it's not my idea of a fun time :D

PCIRoot=0 is the Chameleon default and therefore there's no need to specify 0 - unless your real PCIRoot is 1 and you're doing it deliberately to prevent GraphicsEnabler from working. In which case GraphicsEnabler=n should be enough...so what you're doing there doesn't really make any sense, unless you're trying to prevent things from working correctly.

On Gigabyte boards the PCI Root is historically 1. Look for a pinned topic in the DSDT section called "tequila fix" or something like that for more information.

passoporto

passoporto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the reply

And sorry,

I should have included more specific (and useful) info in my post.  Everything is working fine with my DSDT injected, GraphicsEnabler=No and PciRoot set to the defaults ( i.e. no input specified in Chameleon) and NVEnabler.kext removed from S/L/E*.

Thanks again

*Although I suspect that NVEnabler would probably work now with the SL kext mod I have not tried it.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts

How can it be working if you have GraphicsEnabler=n and no NVEnabler.kext? You must be injecting via DSDT then?

The 9800 GT should work just fine with GraphicsEnabler=y, as long as you're using a not completely antique Chameleon build.

Of course to test that, you'd have to completely remove the DSDT code for it first.

There must be a better way to get it running than swapping those kernel extensions...

Laberlohe

Laberlohe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

There would also be the possibility to use an EFI string...

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts

Yes but that's complicated and has no advantages. Also, to generate one, instead if just running gfxutil, people will use EFI Studio or OSX86Tools, and then be tempted to click other "interesting" stuff which will inevitably break everything. These antiquated and obsolete tools lead users down the narrow, dark path of how things were done in 2008. We still occasionally have people posting that they have "enabled Quartz" or corrupted "About this Mac" with OSX86Tools.

GraphicsEnabler=y is by far the easiest method to get an nvidia card going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy