A few post-install questions

TheDirTchamber

38 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I'm happy to say that I have a working Mavericks installation on my system, but there are still a few issues that I need to fix, so I hope someone will help. 

First of all, my video card is a nvidia 8600GT, with a VGA and a DVI port. My monitor is connected via VGA, but if I connect another one to the DVI port, the main monitor goes to "sleep". Is there any way I can have dual-monitor on Mavericks?

Secondly, there's one annoying issue that happens on every login. I get a pop-up saying something like "the disk you inserted cannot be read by this computer", with 3 options, Initialise, Ignore and Eject. I'm sure that it refers to a Linux partition (I also have Linux and Win installed on other disks). How can I make the damn thing SKIP trying to initialise that disk?? I've read somewhere that creating a small FAT32 partition on that disk resolves the issue, but I can't do that, unfortunately. Any other way?

Lastly, I have a generic question regarding kexts. Do I have to update them from time to time, like drivers in Windows? I'm thinking mostly about video and audio drivers.

Thank you :)

Do I have to update them from time to time, like drivers in Windows? I'm thinking mostly about video and audio drivers.

Nividia does update their drivers, but I'm not sure 8600GT is supported by the driver. Apple does update some system components (including drivers) occasionally (with System version updates). But again, 8600GT is not the newest card, so I doubt anything would be updated in order to improve performance of this particular card you have.

On audio. It depends on the audio device you have (on-board codec or PCI/PCI-E audio card or even USB card) and how this device was made to work (patching native Apple drivers or using VoodooHDA or a third party driver). If it's an on-board card used with a patched native Apple drivers, then situation is the same as above. VoodooHDA and 3-d party drivers can be updated as the newer version is released. Some versions of VoodooHDA may work perfectly  with one set of hardware and may not work with the other.

Since Apple develops both the hardware (design) and software, they are, for the most part, the only source of drivers for their hardware. Hence drivers are updated via System version updates (contrary to Windows where devices are supported by an appropriate manufacturer and these drivers can be updated manually).

As to the Linux disk, install the file system driver and it should mount instead of asking to initialise it.

Nividia does update their drivers, but I'm not sure 8600GT is supported by the driver. Apple does update some system components (including drivers) occasionally (with System version updates). But again, 8600GT is not the newest card, so I doubt anything would be updated in order to improve performance of this particular card you have.

On audio. It depends on the audio device you have (on-board codec or PCI/PCI-E audio card or even USB card) and how this device was made to work (patching native Apple drivers or using VoodooHDA or a third party driver). If it's an on-board card used with a patched native Apple drivers, then situation is the same as above. VoodooHDA and 3-d party drivers can be updated as the newer version is released. Some versions of VoodooHDA may work perfectly  with one set of hardware and may not work with the other.

Since Apple develops both the hardware (design) and software, they are, for the most part, the only source of drivers for their hardware. Hence drivers are updated via System version updates (contrary to Windows where devices are supported by an appropriate manufacturer and these drivers can be updated manually).

As to the Linux disk, install the file system driver and it should mount instead of asking to initialise it.

Thanks man :) The Linux partition problem is now solved. I still have the dual monitor issue, but it doesn't bother me that much now, maybe when I feel like watching a movie on the TV (the second "monitor") :D

I have another question. There's an app that it's supposed to show temperatures of the CPU, GPU, etc., it's called HWSensors. For me, it doesn't show anything. Do you have any idea why? I suspect that the GPU overheats, because I have random reboots from time to time, so I want to know for sure if that's the cause...

Do you have any idea why?

There is a must have kext called FakeSMC. This kext in turn has various plug-ins to enable hardware monitoring. The one you need is IntelCPUMonitor. This one is needed to monitor CPU related features. Other plug-ins can provide other functions i.e.: fan speed monitoring and chipset temps.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2585

As for the reasons of possible overheating, it might be due to not working/disabled (with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext) power management.

As for the reasons of possible overheating, it might be due to not working/disabled (with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext) power management.

Hmm, not sure about this one... My Mavericks installation is (I hope there's no hate for this one too :P ) Niresh, and I left the options intact in the setup. I did install yesterday some patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement kext (also from the Niresh website) hoping it will solve my shutdown problems, but it didn't. So I really don't know how to check if that NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is working or it's disabled. 

P.S. Here's what I found: "Patched Apple Intel CPU Power Management is an alternative to NullCPUPowerManagement. It does the same thing as NCPM, except it doesn't break sleep mode or speed-stepping.". So I guess that Null thing breaks stuff, not fixes it, right? And that patched kext I installed SHOULD work, but the damn issue remains...

Hello

P.S. Here's what I found: "Patched Apple Intel CPU Power Management is an alternative to NullCPUPowerManagement. It does the same thing as NCPM, except it doesn't break sleep mode or speed-stepping.". So I guess that Null thing breaks stuff, not fixes it, right? And that patched kext I installed SHOULD work, but the damn issue remains...

If you're using singnature hardware, so... isn't necessary patch AICPUPM

Patch AICPUPM is almost only for Core i CPUs, some cases Sandy Bridge or high models...

So... to get Power management working in this CPU, you need only enable P and C States in org.chameleon... with help app Chameleon Wizard.

NullCPUPM disbale AICPUPM and your CPU need AICPUPM loaded to get a good(functional)PM... so do what i said above and forget NullCPUPM, if you have this already installed in your hack... please remove it.

So... to get Power management working in this CPU, you need only enable P and C States in org.chameleon... with help app Chameleon Wizard.

My CPU is a C2D, does this apply to this model too?

In Chameleon Wizard I have "Generate P-States", "Generate C-States" and also 3 options, "Enable C2 state", "Enable C3 state" and "Enable C4 state". Do I check all of them? I'm a little uncomfortable using this app, as I've used it before and it completely screwed up my boot, but I hope it'll be ok this time...  :unsure:

Hello

Distro is good, but ver temporary... you never will get 99% with it... and you cannot install any bootloader, include Chameleon... P and C States are settings given by Chameleon... without chameleon... just apply P and C States doesn't serves to nothing...

I gave to you a solution to install OSX... RETAIL SOLUTION... check this please...

After install OSX RETAIL, please install chameleon... a guide about this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295630-instala%C3%A7%C3%A3o-e-configura%C3%A7%C3%A3o-do-chameleon-bootloader/
Translate.

Hello

Distro is good, but ver temporary... you never will get 99% with it... and you cannot install any bootloader, include Chameleon... P and C States are settings given by Chameleon... without chameleon... just apply P and C States doesn't serves to nothing...

I gave to you a solution to install OSX... RETAIL SOLUTION... check this please...

After install OSX RETAIL, please install chameleon... a guide about this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295630-instala%C3%A7%C3%A3o-e-configura%C3%A7%C3%A3o-do-chameleon-bootloader/

Translate.

Niresh has Chameleon, and it's installed. :) And I have to say that I'm very close to having a perfectly working OSX installation. Everything is fine, except that power management issue (I'll try these options in Chameleon Wizard and report back) and the dual-monitor thing.

Hello

I'm from old school kkkkkkkk no too much... 1st distro i used was iPC 10.5.6 and it didn't have a real bootloader, just config files...

I waiting this work to you... but remember... if you want get a retail installation, get that solution.

Hello

Retail - Native support(Vanilla Support) | OSX running 99%, Great Power management | Most compatibility | You can update your OSX version without problem(with combo update or via AppStore if you're using Clover) | You know what your're doing

Distro(Niresh,iAtkos....) - Modified Support - more adjust are required to run a simple hardware | OSX never get 99% sometimes doesn't get 80%, Bad Power management - more adjust are required | You cannot update to others versions, you need re-install OSX | You don't kow what you're doing, because you pré-configured it, but don't configure it now...

Summarizing... Retail installation is 1000% better than distro

Damn...you're killing me, guys :)) I have everything set-up in OSX, apps installed, etc...it's frustrating to think that I have to do it all over again with a clean install... Also, it was a nightmare to GET to the setup on my PC, I think I've spent 2 days trying different flags till I got it right, so it's not that easy for me... And I'll have to find kexts for everything, so that's an extra pain in the ass. But what the hell, I never backed away from a challenge :) I'll try this retail installation and, hopefully, I'll be able to reply again here, via OSX :P

Hello

Retail - Native support(Vanilla Support) | OSX running 99%, Great Power management | Most compatibility | You can update your OSX version without problem(with combo update or via AppStore if you're using Clover) | You know what your're doing

Distro(Niresh,iAtkos....) - Modified Support - more adjust are required to run a simple hardware | OSX never get 99% sometimes doesn't get 80%, Bad Power management - more adjust are required | You cannot update to others versions, you need re-install OSX | You don't kow what you're doing, because you pré-configured it, but don't configure it now...

Summarizing... Retail installation is 1000% better than distro

I made the USB stick and it's ready, I'll try to install Mavericks later today and report back. 

Since there's no point in opening a new thread about this, I'll ask here: do you think this retail image (or any distro, for that matter) will work on a HP 530 notebook? I did try to use the USB stick with Niresh, but I can't get past the bootloader list (hitting Enter on the Mavericks entry just returns me to the list almost instantly, no matter what flags I try). I think I've seen some message about a magic number (it's very fast, I can't see the full message...).

Hello

Maybe, what HP 530 specs???

Don't confuse the things... and foerget Niresh, use that solution i gave to you... it's ready to boot

You need configure your Bios: olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1804

Other thing... if you gonna try use HP 530 to install OSX, try boot with: -v cpus=1

Hello

This HP 530 is good, but graphic card (GMA 950) isn't supported... so, you can you can install OSX, but without QE/CI

Well, it doesn't work. The notebook is "stuck" in a reboot loop, and I don't even know where or how to add some boot flags, the cursor just flashes for a second and the notebook reboots again, no error message, no nothing. Strange...