System Assessment - Snow Leopard on Irwindale Xeon

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts

If you use a second hard drive for OS X (which I highly recommend) you won't have to back up XP. The drive that holds Windows XP will not be touched by the OS X installer or anything else. It's perfectly safe, Disk Utility cannot write to NTFS formatted drives. The only thing you can do from Disk Utility is to format the entire drive, but that's not really something you can do by accident.

You could probably install OS X onto the external hard drive, I guess it could work. It depends how well USB (or your TI Firewire if it's a Firewire drive) works from the get go.

Actually, you could probably even install Snow Leopard on the external drive while it's connected to your MacBook Pro, assuming it allows that.

Then make the required modifications when the installation is done (Chameleon bootloader, configuration settings, drivers, kernelpatcher module or patched kernel) and then connect it to your PC and see if it boots.

That's definitely the approach I would take, and what I would have recommended from the beginning if I had known that you have an external drive.

Jasara

Jasara

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello

@Gringo Vermelho...

I think only FX 5500 work in 10.5.5 and doesn't work in 10.5.6 or high(i have one FX 5500)

But i believe FX 5200 work in 10.5.5/5.6/5.7... in that time i looking for info about my FX 5500 and i saw this info about FX 5200(i think was oldnapalm that said this)... so i think FX 5200 work in these versions... Or not?

@Jasara

Welcome

anyway... this PC is old, i fact is waste time try install OSX on it... currently you can buy a new PC with a low budget.

It does not really have anything to do with a budget really, regardless of age, this is not a basic desktop pc, it is a workstation that still runs faster than my wife's new $2,200 Windows 8.1 "doorstop", as I have come to call it. If nothing else, it will be an educational experience and at best, I will have a third Mac ... which leads me to another question, I have a dinosaur mac mini here that I use for a media server, it runs 10.4, is it possible that it would have the video drivers I am looking for or do you know where they are located?

Thanks again

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts

The last nvidia drivers and framework that support Geforce 5xxx series cards are in the 10.5.5 combo update.

They will probably not work on Snow Leopard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy