SSD question

Kynyo

6 posts in this topic

• 4 months later...

After five months it drops from 99% to 98% lifetime.
What can I do? If i Shrink disk (for OP) it will be OK? I guess it will be around 15GB just for OP.

I wrote around 2.8TB till now.

Screen%20Shot%202014-07-08%20at%2013.25.

NAND in SSDs are rated for a certain number of program/erase cycles, which basically means each block of NAND can only be written to so many times before they wear out.  What you are seeing is normal wear on a SSD.  The only way for you to not have that number drop is to not write to the SSD.

The short story: don't worry about it.  In almost all consumer usage models, the NAND in a SSD will last longer than the SSD will remain useful (due to size, performance, etc).

Hi, anyone has a solution to enable TRIM in 10.9.4? 

I know that is the most important factor for the life of the SSD - I lost a Vertex 4 for not enable this.

I was reading the command line as I paste below has some problem:

TRIM enabled by using the following commands. 

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage /IOAHCIBlockStorage.original
Patch the file to enable TRIM support:
sudo perl -pi -e ‘s|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00). {9}(\x00\x51)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x 00$2|sg’ /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

Most people recommend a soft called TRIM ENABLE, but it's not free.

Any recommendation? 

Thanks.