Unable to connect to the internet with forcedeth kext due to known linux issue with ASROCK N68C-GS FX Motherboard

jig36

3 posts in this topic

I'm using a ASROCK N68C-GS FX Motherboard.

The short version is I can't connect to the internet via ethernet cable.

The cable is plugged in to the ethernet port on my motherboard. When I tell Ubuntu to connect automatically with DHCP, it spins for a while and then fails to connect. When I give it a manual address (and set up the appropriate routing instructions on my router) it says it's connected, but I cannot access the internet or even ping the router.

Same issue with OS X using 10.6 how can the issue be implemented into OSX?????

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2020571.html

achkap

March 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM

after contacting with as rock the guys there gave me the following answer.

Thank you for contacting ASRock.

We did various test on BIOS but cannot improve this.

After doing some research, we found changing some driver(forcedeth) setting would help on this.

It seems that there's something wrong at LAN driver for NVIDIA chipset (forcedeth) working with AM3+ CPU.

And due to the non-working driver, you might also see the system not really powering off when shut down or freeze when restart system.

Here's the steps to temporarily enable the network:

step 1. Enter Ubuntu recovery mode:

a. Power on system and press "Shift" during boot up for GRUB memu.

b. Choose "Advanced options for Ubuntu" > Ubuntu, [kernal version] (recovery mode)

step 2. Choose "root" and key in below command:

# rmmod forcedeth

# modprobe forcedeth msi=0 msix=0

# exit

step 3. Choose "resume" to resume normal boot

Now the network should be ok till next boot with AM3+ CPU.

If the trick works on your system, please modify below file to automatically run the script when boot up:

step 1. Add the line "exec rmmod forcedeth" at next line of "script" in the file /etc/init/module-init-tools.conf

Add the line "modprobe forcedeth msi=0 msix=0" to /etc/rc.local

step 2. Restart system for check

For detailed steps, please have attached file for reference.

Reference: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1003297

tried both things and they work great. it even reboots and shuts down normally. so if anyone has this try the above solution.

jesse3

August 18th, 2013, 03:54 AM

Package changed in 13.04

step 1. Add the line "exec rmmod forcedeth" at next line of "script" in the file /etc/init/kmod.conf

The fix to the issue from the manufacture is above in the quotes I just don't know where to go or who I can speak with that would be able to help put the fix into OS X since it's a linux fix and the forcedeth driver was ported from linux?????

• 3 months later...