iAtkos is not free anymore :(

KunLibertad

63 posts in this topic

i dont know if this post is in the right forum, change it if it is

the last post on the official iAtkos blog says:

- iATKOS M will be released in about 10 days

- Like you, I am either not happy about the 1 month+ delay of the release date, its life anyway..

- Unlike previous releases, iATKOS M is not free anymore. Creating an iATKOS release is a bit of work/time/knowledge, it is not only putting the lego bricks together..

- I don’t like ads, spammy flash {censored} etc. I do not complain, ever, so. Aint’ much amount, neither less for some, but this is it.

on the "Get iAtkos M" page

- iATKOS M will be released in about 10 days.
- Unlike the previous releases, it will not be free this time.
- It will be sent over a high bandwidth source when we reach the mean order count.
- It will be sent one by one to the donators.
- Previous donators whom donated -at least- the amount below are on our priority list <3 They will get iATKOS M before anyone..
- Donators that are willing to upgrade some parts of their computers do not need to re-donate, they should just contact me.
- iATKOS M is a general OSX86 release but each iATKOS_M.dmg image will be unique for its target computer. Simply, every target computer only work with their own iATKOS_M.dmg image, which will be sent one by one as I stated above.
- Donators that are willing to upgrade some parts of their computers do not need to re-donate, they should just contact me.
- Do not forget that this is OSX86 (like previous iATKOS releases), which is only for testing purposes and there is no guarantee that it will work on your computer. If you want to use Mac OS X after testing, you should buy a real Mac from Apple.

and here is how much we have to "donate" to him

- Minimum donation amount: 10$ / 8€ / 7£ / 20TL
- Send an e-mail to the donation account e-mail address including the Hardware Information of your target computer (do not change the hardware parts/configuration after sending the e-mail, otherwise it might not work)

¿What is your opinion about this?

• Like 2

I thought it like other osx86 distros should never be free.

Mavericks is free yes, but Mountain Lion, Lion, and Snow Leopard are not. They are paid software that developers worked hard on. To me, these distros unless you have a legal serial/copy to the OS is nothing but piracy. 

But it also annoys me about the reason he's doing it. Most of the work being used in the distro is work from the community, and he's putting a price on it? 

People asked why Apple was so tolerant of us in another forum, well its things like this that Apple will target osx86 with! 

I thought it like other osx86 distros should never be free.

Mavericks is free yes, but Mountain Lion, Lion, and Snow Leopard are not. They are paid software that developers worked hard on. To me, these distros unless you have a legal serial/copy to the OS is nothing but piracy. 

But it also annoys me about the reason he's doing it. Most of the work being used in the distro is work from the community, and he's putting a price on it? 

People asked why Apple was so tolerant of us in another forum, well its things like this that Apple will target osx86 with! 

I'm not so sure about that, Apple became widespread popular and more commercial since hackintosh,

at least they're selling software even on such machines and some of the hackintosh users will jump on a mac platform too, who knows.

I suggest suffering the hackintosh scene it's a markting strategy!

With a vanilla install, you know what you have. With a distro, you have no idea...

Thanks RehabMan, I'm using Niresh. since it's just the beginning of my hackintoshing. I'm sure going to vanilla once I know all the tools. The only thing I care about is security. I wonder if these guys will risk the respect and support they have from users by installing some malicious code or things like that.

i had a question, not sure If i should ask here. I'm still new to this community. I just noticed that kernel task sends and receives a lot of packets and data. the late time I checked it was 2.x mb now it is 542 kb 3,505 sent / 3,505 received packets? what does the kernel_task does?

This is going to make my position more difficult. I had always been against forbidding distros. Many new users prefer them, and I want InsanelyMac to be a welcoming place for everybody.

However once iATKOS is no longer free, it becomes a commercial spin-off of the OSx86 scene. Then the appropriate rule should apply.

• Like 13

This is going to make my position more difficult. I had always been against forbidding distros. Many new users prefer them, and I want InsanelyMac to be a welcoming place for everybody.

However once iATKOS is no longer free, it becomes a commercial spin-off of the OSx86 scene. Then the appropriate rule should apply.

This situation is difficult, on one hand we have users who are unlikely to install OS X on their PC without a distro, on the other hand, we must promote the use of a method as native as possible.

Personally, I have always helped those who installed iATKOS or other distros, now if we decide to stop supporting this method we have to ask ourselves questions:

The rule should apply to all versions of iATKOS or only the latter for a fee?

If we decide that the rule applies to all versions of iATKOS, we must apply the same rule to the other distros (eg Niresh)?

For the moderators is a duty to give us a unequivocal rule and know what the line not to exceed ...

Sorry for my english....

• Like 1

Hi...

Will be easier to help...more vanilla...

c.frio

+1.

I would not knowingly help anyone using a distro. Without having a known "starting point" it is much more difficult to diagnose problems.

Using a distro is silliness. Paying for one is craziness.

People, don't mix.

Creators of distros are selling not OSX. They selling a help to install HackOSX. See the difference.

We should not help users of these distros. There are authors who should do this.

We should help users of OSX no matter how it was installed.

• Like 1