Kernel Panics

lingenfr

5 posts in this topic

I have an OQO 02 that I am working with. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 but can't get the system stable. I use an MBPR as my primary computer and am pretty unix knowledgeable, but I am not really familiar with OS X installation, etc. I used a set of instructions posted by an OQOTalk/OQOasis forum member named trf. I followed the instructions closely and tried several installs. If I boot normally, I get a "You need to restart your computer" message either toward the end of the boot or immediately after the boot. I can boot into safe mode and it seems stable. I think the OQO required a fairly standard install. In order to get the wifi (AR5006X) working, the instructions had me:

1) Delete IO80211Family.kext from the extensions folder

2) Run KOOLSOFTS>Kext Helper b7 and install an IO80211Family.kext provided by trf

I followed the instructions which included permissions repair, etc. Wifi works (using WPA2) right after installation, however, when I reboot and come back in, the lockups start. When varies, but it happens every time I boot in normal mode at some point. The wifi does work in safe mode. The installation also includes using AppleHDAPatcher to get the audio working. Audio also works (in normal mode). The only other thing I've noticed is that the mouse can be erratic after being idle for a period of time. I was ready to start looking for/trying different IO80211Family.kext's, but thought I would check in here first. My goal is to get the OQO stable and if possible, upgrade to the most recent version of OS X it will support. Thanks for any assistance.

While I know this is an old device, I am pretty convinced that the problem has to do with either the kext I am loading for wifi or for audio. I am going to continue testing, but would appreciate troubleshooting advice to help pin it down and (hopefully) eventually solve it. Thanks.

I tried a number of different kexts, etc. with no joy. I reinstalled and changed the order to install wifi last. I stopped at each major step and ran for awhile to see when the lockups would begin. I installed the OS - no lockups. I installed audio - audio lockups. I installed wifi - no lockups. I connected to my network and put in the WPA2 password - immediate lockup. Is there some issue with WPA2 or with the combination of WPA2/Atheros wifi that is a known issue? What should I try next?