Need Help installing Mavericks on mobo without AHCI

Eweie

39 posts in this topic

Hi. I've been using snow leopard for the past 10 months on this machine, quite comfortably but with some software limitations of course, but yesterday my main hard drive died, so I'm taking this opportunity to install Mavericks on a new hard drive I will buy in the morning.

but I'd like some guidance. I was planning on also buying a SATA controller card but I don't know if I'll be able to find one soon (I asked arround last time, no one had one) so I'm going to see if i can install it mavericks anyway.

I've seen in other topics people saying install this kext install that kext but i don't understand how you'd install it when you cant even boot into the osx installer, or how does one go about making the installer boot with no AHCI.

I downloaded the niresh distro and put it on an usb but every time i try to boot from it a spinning / appears and then my computer restarts. I suspected it was because I had usb legacy disabled on the bios because i needed it to boot to snow leopard but its not it. also verbose mode doesn't give me any feedback, the letters scroll too fast before restarting, it's a hard restart.

is this distro the best way to install mavericks on my system? how can i make it work and if not can someone please help me with what kext to install and the preparation of the installer?

I hope I can get some help soon because i'll go downtown in the morning to buy the hard drive and if possible the SATA III controller card and I really need to get this computer set up today or else Ill be behind on my work.

I have a macbook running 10.8.5 where I can do stuff in with dmg files and stuff like that if necessary.

I'm sorry for the newb questions and thanks in advanced. :bye:

my system is:
Mobo: Asrock N68C-S UCC

CPU: Phenom II X4 940 BE

RAM: 4gb ddr2 1066

GFX: XFX Radeon HD 4850

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late update.

I hadnt had time to mess with this until today. I bought a hard drive. and instead of making my own installer i just downloaded a sparse image of mavericks then cloned it to the new hard drive. i got this kernel and replaced the vanilla kernel http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3726-kernel-os-x-mavericks-1091-amd/ not sure if its the best i can get.

I also saw mentioned in this other thread someone else trying to install mavericks on a mobo with no AHCI too and someone said to use the kext "IOATAFAmily modified for use "legacy_AHCI" active Mode IDE" but offered no download link so if anyone can help me out verify if this is it http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3224-ioatafamily-kext/

I'm not sure what other kexts i need but it wont boot. i see the apple logo and it just stays there, it doesnt show the spinny thing. i used vervose mode and saw that it gets stuck in "PCI Configuration begin"

alright so I installed the kexts in this post by you iFIRE http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291554-help-pci-configuration-begin-1082/?do=findComment&comment=1942317

and now i get "still waiting on root device" but I also installed the kexts posted for that and still didnt work. :(

post-1147257-0-99745500-1392159715_thumb.jpg

post-1147257-0-03638200-1392161387_thumb.jpg

hi and thank you for the help! most links seem to be dead but i got it from this poster who attached one http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/211866-applenforceata-104-optimized-for-sl-3264bit/?do=findComment&comment=1520885 i hope it's the correct one

yes that got it past that stage and seems like all the other osx stuff starting loading but then it loaded the hard disk and some usb things i had attached and i thought it was stuck there but then minutes later i got a "resting OI catalog" and i think its stuck there.

macintosh hd and macintosh hd 2 are other harddisk where i have SL and that narish mavericks it's just some usb stick which is unrelated to the instalation im trying to boot.

post-1147257-0-39124800-1392170720_thumb.jpg

update: after being in that state for about 10  minutes or so now it began throwing this which i dont know what it means.

does it mean something is failing or its successfully booting, i dont know. but i think more stuff like that just keeps popping up.

That's graphics related, your GPU is not firing up.. but that kext works  :D 
Try GraphicsEnabler=yes, try without verbose, try a patch: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/146-qe-ci-exotic-patch/

Posted at the same time xD  :)

alright, thank you, I'll try it right now. it's still trowing me the messages about some sandbox thing i posted above, seems to be the same thing over and over.

update: i installed those kexts and use GraphicsEnabler=yes and its just at the apple logo with the thing spinning, its been there for a while now.

ok rebooted in verbose mode once again with graphics enabler to yes and it's been stuck on this for the past 10 minutes or so.

by this i mean the latest attachment..

update: :blush:  well i booted with -s and im in the system as root with text command only so i think it's definitely my graphics that isn't working right.

yup it works, i can run basic unix commands like top and stuff like that so i think it's working fine just have to figure out the graphics... i have no clue where to start, should i try other kexts? or am i missing something. from what i remember i believe i had to install something called evoEnabler.kext on my snow leopard installation but i did that almost a year ago so i don't remember if it's a necessary...

i remember before i installed any kext for my graphics it did boot into VESA mode so i dont know why isnt at least doing that now. maybe it was something the distro i used had.

post-1147257-0-46875300-1392171338_thumb.jpg

post-1147257-0-30549700-1392173548_thumb.jpg

well, this is your chipset

Chipset - NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a

You need this kext  AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kex  

nForce OS X Mavericks (10.9) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL ...

take a look in this guide, the user have same chipset nforce, download the kext in the guide and put in Extra/Extensions of your usbinstaller or S/L/E of your disk, then boot with -s and remove all graphics kexts with it

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

mkdir /kext_backup

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mv AMDRadeon* ATI* GeForce* NVDA*/kext_backup

rm ../Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

reboot

Hi iFIRE. I did what you told me but I get the same results. i also installed

FakeSMC.kext

AppleHDA.1062.kext

EvOreboot.kext

AppleRTC.Mavericks.Patched.kext

SuperIOFamily.kext

ACPIMonitor.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

from that guide and i get DSMOS has arrived then F718x: Finteck: Found unsupported chip ID=0xb0 REVISION=0x73

then after a few minutes i get Resseting IOCatalogue. and stuck again.

post-1147257-0-59838600-1392222584_thumb.jpg

I installed Mavericks 10.9 from a sparse image that i cloned from snow leopard with Carbon copy cloner to the new hard drive then installed chameleon with Chameleon Wizard.

I'm not using any bootflags other than the occasional graphicsenabler=no or yes and -f and sometimes arch=x86_64. I did not need to set any bootflags on my snow leopard installation.

I'm using this kernel : http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3726-kernel-os-x-mavericks-1091-amd/

I install the kext booting into snow leopard and copying them into the extensions directory.

right now im still stuck at DSMOS has arrived. I got rid of the Fintek error by deleting some extension related to power management i believe.

ok right now i tried this kernel http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3794-amd-kernel-for-os-x-1091091/ and some time after DSMOS has arrived I got a kernel panic

seems to be related to the apple intel power management kext but i deleted that...

ok I installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and now im back at stuck on DSMOS has arrived. no kernel panic.

post-1147257-0-67704900-1392226024_thumb.jpg

post-1147257-0-17727000-1392226324_thumb.jpg

first this is not Snow, is Maverick, the system have a big diference with snow

you have changed the vanilla kernel from your disk for a patched ?

you have deleted the graphics kexts from your disk?

this first line not Understand: I installed Mavericks 10.9 from a sparse image that i cloned from snow leopard with Carbon copy cloner to the new hard drive then installed chameleon with Chameleon Wizard.

try this flag: -f -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No amd_kernel arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000

a sparse image is a clone of a hard drisk. it's a clone of a vanilla installation of Mavericks on a mac. I booted into snow leopard which is on a seperate hard drive, loaded the sparse image into carbon copy cloner, and copied all the files into a seperate hard drive (the one i just bought). then i reboot and select the new hard drive from the chameleon loader to boot from it.

Yes I copied the kernels i downloaded to the root of the new hard drive.  the kernels are named mach_kernel in this case not amd_kernel.

I tried those boot flags and got the same results.

Yes i deleted all graphics kexts for nvidia, AMD, ATI and intel, including the ones i installed myself.

sure that you have a folder Extra in the root of your disk, FakeSMC.kext installed in the disk? send me the Extra folder

use this flag: -f -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No mach_kernel arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000

post photo were this stop

I just tried it again with those exact bootflags even amd_kernel and still no luck. i hadn't tried the -x before.

I have an extra folder on the root that i copied myself from my snow leopard instalation but i have no kexts in it. i modified both chameleon plist and sbios plist but they dont really have any special attributes. ill upload it so you can check it out.

oh and yes i have FakeSMC.kext installed. ill double check.

Extra.zip

I checked, I do have FakeSMC

ok I tried those boot flags and here is where it stops.

post-1147257-0-01465400-1392229655_thumb.jpg

ok I tried that kernel and same result. used the same boot flags.

also i noticed that i don't have any user on the users folder but Shared which doesn't have any files in. don't know if that would cause any issue.

also, theres this, I dont know if it's a critical error or normal. post-1147257-0-71508600-1392230916_thumb.jpg

used the extra folder and the boot flags and same result.

I already had the kexts from that extra forlder in my system extensions folder. should i delete the ones there and leave the ones in extra?

in your S/L/E only  this one nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext and install all from Extra to S/L/E, go to S/L/Caches and delete all content of folder, them repairpermissions rebuild cache  with KextWizard, reboot

delete all this kexts

FakeSMC.kext

AppleHDA.1062.kext

EvOreboot.kext

AppleRTC.Mavericks.Patched.kext

SuperIOFamily.kext

ACPIMonitor.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

did you mean to install nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext? i installed it. I deleted the kexts you said, moved the kexts from extra to S/L/E. deleted the caches, and repaired permissions and cache with kext wizard.

I rebooted and used -v only I got this result.

I just rebooted with -x -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No ncpi=0x2000 and i got this kernel panic. :(

post-1147257-0-34738900-1392233995_thumb.jpg

post-1147257-0-42713700-1392234356_thumb.jpg

I think i got confused... did you mean to delete those kexts from the systems extensions folder or from the extras? cause I did both. I deleted NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from everywhere and ACPIMonitor.kext I didnt have on my system.

well then i did mess up a lot of stuff. but weirdly right now i messed with some other stuff and now im in the setup screen... ill try to set up an user ill tell you how it goes :D Thank you so much for your help! I hope this works.