Cardbus/PCMCIA Controller ID 104C:8039 Texas Instruments PCIxx12

solu

421 posts in this topic

You need to edit the portion that matches the machine you are running, of course. E.g., if your System Profiler shows your machine is a "ADP2,1" then you need to edit that section.
:)
If you have more or less memory ranges than are in the file, you can add or remove "siblings" or "branches" in the file using the GUI tools.
yep, did that.

Since Macs are running in ACPI mode, it would seem logical that you need to take the values from Linux running ACPI or it won't work. If not even Linux supports your chipset... then good luck ;-)
like Mariusz said Knoppix not booting was a bug in the Linux Kernel on the latest CD. Linux with the most recent Kernel is supposed to boot just fine even past the PCMCIA card, at least Mariusz got rid of the clog-up during boot on his machine by replacing the kernel. I'll give that a shot on the weekend.

Again, since Apple simply used the source code of Linux PCMCIA it shouldn't be too hard to take the newer Linux sourcecode and compile a new Mac driver with it. Someone just needs to do it.
someone who knows how to. You just edited the existing driver but didn't compile it new, right?

Cheers,

Bugs.

I am downloading Knopix live 5.1 dvd now, could you please tell me where to look to find my memory ranges and stuff? (i never used linux before in my life) sorry if i am difficult

By the way - great thanks for your effort and the link for property list editor and many others - i am very optimistic that my toshiba will soon have wireless!

I am downloading Knopix live 5.1 dvd now
there is no 5.1, the latest version is 5.0.1 .. Also, why don't you donwload the CD verison, it is more than sufficient ..
could you please tell me where to look to find my memory ranges and stuff? (i never used linux before in my life) sorry if i am difficult
find the shortcut to terminal in the start menu (you will find that) and enter the command there.
By the way - great thanks for your effort and the link for property list editor and many others - i am very optimistic that my toshiba will soon have wireless!
You mean wireless via a PCMCIA card? Which one are you planning to use?

DWL g630

From D-Link wiht Atheros chip in it (apparently) H/W version C2

By the way, this is not related, i have T2500 core duo and when i install JaS 10.4.8, my CPU name isnt recognized properly in the About this Mac" window - it says 2Ghz of unknown. where in 10.4.6 and 7 it was displayed properly. I am saying this cuz you seem to have T2400 which is similar processor

oh don't be mislead by my sig, for testing stuff like this I am running my test Sys with Mac OS 10.4.7. However, important is what System Profiler says in the first window, not the little "About this Mac" window (most likely).

Freakin Awesome thanks....I edited the plist and driver with the info for my xx21 and its working perfect...finally I can use my Verizon EVDO card!!! I have a hp dv1520us....

Heres the info from my lspci -v off a ubuntu live cd...Notice the device is shown as 3080 however in windows device manager my deviceid shows 8031 but next to it you see a subsystem section that shows 3080

0000:06:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 169

Memory at b0109000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=06, secondary=07, subordinate=0a, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: 30000000-31fff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 34000000-35fff000

I/O window 0: 00003400-000034ff

I/O window 1: 00003800-000038ff

16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

so if your info matches this you can use my kext at the bottom.

EDIT: This also fixed my firewire...it seems the firewire uses the same controller...I noticed it did say something when I did the dmesg command about firewire ohci.....and so I checked and my firewire is now loaded in sys profiler...I just tested it with a video camera I have which didn't work before....thanks so much!

IOPCCardFamily.kext.zip

!! S U C C E S S !! :D

noname:~ root# dmesg | grep PC

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: TI xx12 rev 00

so here's how I did it:

- since Knoppix does not boot correctly on my Laptop as it does not contain the most recent Linux kernel with full ACPI support I downloaded the latest Debian KANOTIX distribution (which contains the most recent Linux kernel)

- ran lspci -v in terminal, and look-a-there: as pretty much expected with ACPI properly loaded the values displayed are not the same as without ACPI (the second memory window range was different):

0a:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller

Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff31

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 177

Memory at b3200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=0a, secondary=0b, subordinate=0e, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: 50000000-51fff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 54000000-55fff000

I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff

I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff

Went back into Mac OS, edited the plist which I had copied to my desktop with Apple's Property List Editor 2.1, copied the edited Info.plist from my desktop back into the IOPCCardFamily.kext in the Extensions folder, ran my lil permissions script app, rebooted - and got a little bit different error now:

IOPCCard notice: AdjustResourceInfo: Unknown error code 0xffffffff

.. so something is happening .. ;). Searched for that error in the board of this great community and found this solution from Jeva Hose and did as he said: Replaced the IOPCIFamily.kext, ran my permissions app, rebooted - BINGO !!

So attached you find both, the IOPCIFamily.kext 1.8 from Mac OS 10.4.4 and the IOPCCardFamily.kext which works for the Toshiba Satellite P100-102.

THANKS probono for getting all of this rolling :) !!

With the new/old IOPCIFamily.kext I will next try to get my soundcard and my LAN card going .. :)

Cheers,

Bugs.

[EDIT] The modified kext might also work for other (Toshiba) Laptops, so just give it a try - and please report back for which Laptop it works and for which it does not work :)

IOPCIFamily.kext_1.8__10.4.4_.dmg

IOPCCardFamily.kext_for_Toshiba_Satellite_P100_102.dmg

Bugs

By the way, your kext did not work for my toshiba

I loaded Katonix with everything "on" and in terminal , after a command, i got these values:

CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller

Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff10

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 185

Memory at de007000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=07, secondary=08, subordinate=0b, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: 50000000 51fff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 52000000 53fff000

I/O window 0: 00005400 000054ff

I/O window 1: 00005800 000058ff

Edited kext with plist editor 2.1 and did everything i had to with replacement and permissions and i still get same error in terminal:

root# dmesg | grep PC

IOPCI2PCIBridge: bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 803a PCI now active, GUID 00080da0d1424cec; max speed s400.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/TOSHIBA MK1234GSX Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 4@4

What else could i do? please take a look at my attached kext, maybe i edited it wrong or smth?

IOPCCardFamily.kext.zip

@Bugs

Great news. I've tried this one, but I still get hangup during startup. I think the problem is related to previous bug in linux PCCard implementation (It was hanging before I upgraded kernel to 2.6.18). Maybe new code will be applied in the next release of Mac OS X.

Bugs, could you do me a favour and adjust PCCard kext for me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong ...

Here is my lspci output:

07:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 18

Memory at dc106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000

I/O window 0: 00006000-000060ff

I/O window 1: 00006400-000064ff

Thanks in advance.

maybe i edited it wrong or smth?
yes you did. The sections that has to edited is ADP2,1 'cause that's how our iHacks appear in System Profiler. To make sure open System Profiler first Windows, it needs to say ADP2,1. If not you need to rename the section ADP2,1 with plist editor to what your system profiler displays.

In the section the two surplus memory ranges have to be deleted because this TI PCMCIA controller is merely using two memory ranges.

Also you did not mention the driver ID. You see that in Windows Device Manager as explained before, for this kext it needs to be 8039, otherwise you need to hexedit the driver.

kexts are attached, first zip for MikhaiL' and the SECOND for Mariusz. Don't forget that you also need the IOPCIFamily.kext 1.8 for this to work.

IOPCCardFamily.kext.zip

IOPCCardFamily.kext_Mariusz.zip

Bugs,

Can you help with mine, at boot it gives me the found xx21 and when I stick my card in the slot it shows as an unknown Vendor, USB Controller, Power Off Card at the top but won't use it. I am using a Verizon V620 Merlin EVDO Card and have the Apple drivers installed, but it does not see the card. The card is getting power, because the green lite is flashing.

Here is my lspci -v from linux:

CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

Subsystem: Hewlett Packard Company Unknown device 3082

I/O window 0: 00005400-000054ff

I/O window 1: 00005400-000058ff

Turbo50t.tif

Oh and thanks for the cool diskutil tool that's great!

@Buggs

Thanks for your efforts Bugs, but it's definately bug in the code. I tried posted kext and my system still hangs druging startup (after PCCard probe).

Maybe someone of you have enough knowledge to put code from latest linux kernel source (2.6.18) to this kext and compile it (I have no idea if its even posibble)?

Thanks in advance.

Alright, I have tried everything , and I'm sure I have done something wrong. I have a toshiba a105-s4034, with the pcixx12 controller. Here is my device read out from kanotix.

07:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 185

Memory at dc007000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O window 0: 00004400-000044ff

I/O window 1: 00004800-000048ff

I have edited these values in using plistedit pro. When I run dmesg | greppc, I just get

IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0

I have seen some people have needed to replace there iopcifamily.kext as well but all the downloads I can find for it will not open. If anyone could please lend a hand it would be much appecitated. I have my alc861 sound and intel pro 100/ve network up and running, and with this i can get wireless. Thanks again

Bugs,

Can you help with mine, at boot it gives me the found xx21 and when I stick my card in the slot it shows as an unknown Vendor, USB Controller, Power Off Card at the top but won't use it. I am using a Verizon V620 Merlin EVDO Card and have the Apple drivers installed, but it does not see the card. The card is getting power, because the green lite is flashing.

Here is my lspci -v from linux:

CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

Subsystem: Hewlett Packard Company Unknown device 3082

I/O window 0: 00005400-000054ff

I/O window 1: 00005400-000058ff

Turbo50t.tif

Oh and thanks for the cool diskutil tool that's great!

turbo try the file attached below...also check your private messages....

iopccard21modded.zip

I have seen some people have needed to replace there iopcifamily.kext as well but all the downloads I can find for it will not open.
Brad if your install does not even mount dmgs correctly you have a problem there which you ought to solve prior to any more messing with kexts. Normally that occurs after doing the wrong kind of update from Mac OS 10.4.x to 10.4.x+ resulting in a non-comaptible kernel.framework. But maybe you just have an old Mac OS install like 10.4.1 or .3? I cannot tell because you don't have a signature yet being new here. But maybe it's just 'cause you're using an old version of Disk Utility - well here's a new one. Please apply this first before continuing. Then open the new Disk Utility (the old one you need to delete before that and empty the trash!!) and run "repair permissions" and best reboot.

Which Mac OS install are you running?

Hey buggs thanks for the quick reply

I'm running jas 10.4.6, as far as the disk utility goes I have no idea. Whatever came with the install is what I have. I can tell you this I just reloaded and have not changed my kexts at all, and when I run the dmesg I get the same thing. Any suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks again

Ohh ya when I did the install I used the customize option and put in the 10.4.6 combo update, sse2,sse3, and wireless networking. Not sure if thats usefull but you lost me on the whole dmesg thing not mounting, and that being a problem with my kernal framework. So I figured I would take a shot in the dark. Once again thank you for your help, and to this wonderfull site as well, without it my hacked mac would have no sound or ethernet.

im trying to get this to work also

where exactly do i enter the device id? mine is 006c

do i use a hex editor to edit tge IOPCCardFamily? if so what do i search for in there.what hex editor do you use

do i need to convert 006c to hex?

thanks