Cardbus/PCMCIA Controller ID 104C:8039 Texas Instruments PCIxx12

solu

421 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to my post

suprisingly bugs' kexts (iopccardfamily and iopcicard..) on page 2 worked even tho the memory ranges dont match up ?! When booted into osx it picks up my atheros card (not working) but it tells me all the device info... im thinking thats a plus... dont have any other cards to test unfortunatly (acer aspire 9420)

I'm also getting the response in terminal after reboot:

IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0

(I used Solu's IOPCCardFamily.kext.zip from the beginning of this post and

thought it might work since the device/vendor IDs are the same as mine)

Any suggestions what this (invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0) means? / what to try next?

I'm trying to get the card-reader slot on the front of this laptop to read memorystick.

Figure it must be dependent on the cardbus controller in some way, so was hoping

that if I got the CardBus up and running, the memory reader might not need any

other drivers (I wish) ...but nothing is that easy.

My system is a Gateway MX8715 running JaS 10.4.8 Here's my device IDs:

Generic CardBus Controller

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8039&SUBSYS_0685107B&REV_00\4&6B16D5B&0&48F0

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia

Controller

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_0685107B&REV_00\4&6B16D5B&0&4AF0

All help is appreciated greatly. I'm not smart enough to do this by myself. I can't believe I've gotten this far!

I've got the built-in WiFi and sound working in OSX86 JaS 10.4.8 on this $550 refurbished laptop!

Thanks for getting involved Dag0n. When I move Bug's kexts (from page 2) into the Extensions folder (repair permissions etc...) and reboot, my system hangs during the grey apple stage. Then I boot up using F8 -v (verbose mode) and see that the system hangs right after the words: "IOPCCard Info: Intel PCIC probe: TI xx12 rev 00"

Not being any good at terminal, I have to boot from / upgrade from the JaS 10.4.8 disc in order to get the drive back to a state where it'll boot again. This is a pretty clean (latest JaS 10.4.8) install so not sure why Bugs' kexts are crashing my system.

Well that was too easy to work twice; the JaS Install wouldn't update anything this time around so I was forced to learn some basic commands in terminal to go delete the IOPCCardFamily.kext which I did and was able to boot again. Looks like using Bugs' kext was too simple to be true. I'm now downloading the "latest Debian KANOTIX distribution" to find the values for my specific hardware configuration. (I do have the TI xx12, but I guess it makes a difference that I'm on a Gateway MX8715 and not a Toshiba) ...well almost done downloading KANOTIX. I have no idea what to do with the info, but if I keep starring at "page 2" of this post, it might sink in. As always, any input is welcomed.

Well that was too easy to work twice; the JaS Install wouldn't update anything this time around so I was forced to learn some basic commands in terminal to go delete the IOPCCardFamily.kext which I did and was able to boot again. Looks like using Bugs' kext was too simple to be true. I'm now downloading the "latest Debian KANOTIX distribution" to find the values for my specific hardware configuration. (I do have the TI xx12, but I guess it makes a difference that I'm on a Gateway MX8715 and not a Toshiba) ...well almost done downloading KANOTIX. I have no idea what to do with the info, but if I keep starring at "page 2" of this post, it might sink in. As always, any input is welcomed.

Even with wrong memory & io ranges, you should get "start failed" or any other error message instead of system freeze. At least for me. I'm also using JaS 10.4.8 with PPF1 & PPF2. However just try put your own memory & IO ranges to your kext file. Just boot your kanotix cd and run this command in the terminal:-

# lspci -v

Locate your PCMCIA adapter, you should see two of this device, just take the first one. The second one is your card reader. You should see two value for Memory ranges & two value for IO ranges. Write down this value.

Boot your OSX. I assume you have copy IOPCCardFamily.kext kext file to Desktop. Do this step:-

1) right-click the kext file

2) choose "Show Package Contents"

3) double-click "Contents" folder

4) open "Info.plist" file with "Property List Editor"

5) In Property List Editor, you need to edit IO Port Ranges and Memory Ranges.

Root --> IOKitPersonalities --> IOPCCardFamily --> Configuration Settings --> ADP2,1

You should see four entry for Memory ranges. Delete two of them since you only have two memory ranges.

6) Save and exit.

7) Copy IOPCCardFamily.kext file to /System/Library/Extensions/ directory.

8) Fix permission - diskutil repairPermissions /

9) Reboot (I assume you already copy IOPCIFamily.kext kext file to /System/Library/Extensions/ directory)

Oh yes, card reader still not working even after you do this. I also don't know how.

Good luck. :D

Thanks Kizwan (and I appreciate the detailed instructions) ...but It's still not working. I'm so close I can almost taste it! Here's what I did:

(After starring at "page 2" of this post for a while)

I booted the kanotix cd (with options: ACPI and DMA on) and got my values:

CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller

Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 0685

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 169

Memory at d4007000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=03, secondary=04, subordinate=07, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: 50000000-51fff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000

I/O window 0: 00003400-000034ff

I/O window 1: 00003800-000038ff

16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

Then I downloaded the two files from Bugs' SUCCESS on page 2 (IOPCIFamily.kext_1.8__10.4.4_.dmg & IOPCCardFamily.kext_for_Toshiba_Satellite_P100_102.dmg)

I edited the IO Ranges and Memory Ranges in his IOPCCardFamily.kext using Apple's Property List Editor 2.1 under ADP2,1 (same name as in my System Profiler)

There wasn't any extra memory ranges to delete since I was using Bugs' kext. I saved the changes and moved the 2 files to my Extensions folder.

Then I ran Bugs' "lil permissions script app" (which saves a lot of time and keeps me out of the terminal) and rebooted.

And again, during startup, same as before (in verbose boot); the system hangs right after the words: "IOPCCard Info: Intel PCIC probe: TI xx12 rev 00"

I think you were on the right track when you said, "Even with wrong memory & io ranges, you should get "start failed" or other error message, not a system freeze"

There must be something else wrong. Anybody have an idea why it would freeze there? ...cuz I'm about to give up (especially since kizwan told me that even if I get this

part working, my memory-card reader's still gonna be dead. ...but it's really hard to let go this close to figuring it out. It definitely has to do with IOPCCardFamily.kext

because as soon as I delete that file, I can boot again. I'm attaching a .jpg of my plist edit in case anyone can see something I did wrong.

EB-PLIST.jpg

I used glitchman's kexts and the IOPCCardFamily.kext from this thread. When I boot up the computer hangs. Booting with -v the last 3 lines say:

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC Probe: TIxx12 rev 00
USB caused wake event (EHCI)
Debug driver registered: AppleUSBUHCI

lspci -v from Ubuntu outputs:

07:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
	 Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff10
	 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 18
	 Memory at f0906000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	 Bus: primary=07, secondary=08, subordinate=0b, sec-latency=176
	 Memory window 0: 88000000-8bfff000 (prefetchable)
	 Memory window 1: 8c000000-8ffff000
	 I/O window 0: 00005000-000050ff
	 I/O window 1: 00005400-000054ff

I am running 10.4.8 (installed from the JaS DVD). What the problem?

EDIT: I have attached my IOPCCardFamily.kext file

IOPCCardFamily.kext.zip

@eager beaver & @Site Owner: Do you use any external device, such as USB wireless device? Try uninstall the driver for that external device & try again. If still not ok, try disable USB device at BIOS, just to see how it goes.

Please post your system spec, including any external device, so we can see what is going on.

Good call. It probably is the built in Realtek Wireless USB hardware giving me the problem. That was the first issue I solved, getting that up and on the net (never did get the built-in Ethernet working) I was able to download a working OSX driver with installer from Realtek but eventually I started having problems with that losing connection and becoming unreliable so sad to say it, I finally gave up and loaded it with XP (beats the Vista it came with anyway). I hated doing it but the WiFi was the deal-breaker and I'm not smart enough to write my own drivers. In case anyone's interested, it was a Gateway MX8715 (Refurbished) laptop. I'd gotten the sound working and WiFi (for a while anyway). The cardbus issue was more about getting the built-in smart-card reader working because they seem to be linked and my girlfriend said that was one of the main things she liked about this laptop. CHICKS! ;)Thanks everyone for your help. I feel like a loser for giving up. Now I'm going to try and get my Asus Spresso (barebones) up and running with OSX86. The gateway laptop was my girlfriend's so I had a limited amount of time to get it working or give up and load xp (she didn't care either way, I convinced her it would be great as a mac if it worked and to let me try)This is a little off topic; I couldn't find a forum topic that matched this question, but does anybody know of a decent forum discussing the possibility of Jobs & Co. making all this legit? indications? counter-indications? I can't be the only one wondering about Apple's "big picture" plans for OSX on PC "officially". I'm not much of a conspiracy buff, but when I go download a driver from Realtek for OSX, I wonder; why are they developing that? Surely it can't be just for us out here on the fringe. All I can find is random comments and opinion from people way more clueless than me, but the members here seem to have a better idea of what's going on so I thought I'd ask here. (I told my girlfriend that I'd try again if Steve ever made it official) If no one knows of a good forum already discussing this, maybe I'll start one.

Here is a driver patching method for the Cardbus/PCMCIA Controller ID 104C:8039 Texas Instruments PCIxx12 for Darwin.

How was it done?

In a nutshell:

First, identified the card under Linux (the same information can also be found in the WIndows device manager)

0000:02:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8039

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 201

Memory at f4200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=02, secondary=03, subordinate=06, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: 40000000-41fff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: 42000000-43fff000

I/O window 0: 00005000-000050ff

I/O window 1: 00005400-000054ff

Second, entered the correct values for I/O window and the Memory window into Info.plist using a plist editor (the values are Base64 encoded in the file, so a text editor is not sufficient)

Third, repaced the name of a similar TI bridge with "xx12" so that it is correctly recognized

Fourth (important): Used a hex editor to edit the device ID into the binary driver. Important: device ID "8039" becomes hex "3980".

Afterwards, your Cardbus slot should be working in Darwin, you should see a message during verbose boot mentioning your PCMCIA slot.

How do I edit the file so it matches my Memory and I/O ranges?

"How do I edit the file so it matches my Memory and I/O ranges?"

I did it following the SUCCESS instructions (with downloads) on page 2 of this thread.

I also listed the process above on this page.

It seems harder (when you read) than it turns out to be.

I never got mine to work but don't let that stop you.

My probem lies elsewhere with the USB conflicting.

"How do I edit the file so it matches my Memory and I/O ranges?"

I did it following the SUCCESS instructions (with downloads) on page 2 of this thread.

I also listed the process above on this page.

It seems harder (when you read) than it turns out to be.

I never got mine to work but don't let that stop you.

My probem lies elsewhere with the USB conflicting.

Hey thanks.... yea its just there are too many pages in this thread =/ Thanks

Hey eager beaver, I followed your instructions and modified my IOPCCardFamily.kext, and the system hangs upon boot.

If I boot in verbose mode, the last 3 lines read:

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC Probe: TIxx12 rev 00
USB caused wake event (EHCI)
Debug driver registered: AppleUSBUHCI

What's the problem, and how do I fix it?

I'm at a loss. Does your pc have a built in card reader? ..mine does and I wasn't able to get mine working. ...figured there was a conflict with the USB but had to give up. Anybody else want to chime-in on this?

Yea, my laptop has a memory card reader and a cardbus reader. I don't care about the memory card reader, I just want to be able to use PCMCIA cards. And what is the deal with the USB? What does USB have to do with the cardbus reader?

@eager beaver & @Site Owner: Do you use any external device, such as USB wireless device? Try uninstall the driver for that external device & try again. If still not ok, try disable USB device at BIOS, just to see how it goes.

I've also read that disabling firewire might help too. Can't I just disable USB or firewire in OSX, instead of in the BIOS?

Has anyone gotten this problem fixed??? I need my PCMCIA, so I can use the wireless card that I got...

I've also read that disabling firewire might help too. Can't I just disable USB or firewire in OSX, instead of in the BIOS?

Has anyone gotten this problem fixed??? I need my PCMCIA, so I can use the wireless card that I got...

I forgot about disable the firewire. You may need to move all kext file for firewire to another location to prevent it from loading. I never tried this before since I don't have firewire device. You could get the list of firewire kext file using this command:-

# ls -al /System/Library/Extensions | grep -i firewire

I think it is much easier if you disable it at bios. However, please let us know if your PCMCIA work.

Did you use IOPCIFamily.kext file from Mac OS X 10.4.4? If yes, I think this file was the cause of your system freeze. Many hardware depend to this kext file. So using old kext file on newer system is not good, I think.

I GOT IT!!! By removing all the FireWire extensions, I was able to boot up w/ my Cardbus slot working!!! Thank you all so much for your help.

Hm, this I must try. I've only used Firewire for OS transfer purposes and networking, and I've had this Airport sitting here since the summer...

And indeed, you are right. Dragged my firewire extensions to another folder and ran the PC Card driver. Started up brilliantly. Doesn't like my Airport card though. It continuously repeats:

"kernel[0]: IOPCCard: shutting down socket 0."

It does this until I remove the card. I'll try popping in other cards and see if I get the same result.