I am going to be building a hackintosh or buying and iMac in a few weeks, and I need some advice.
I will be using:
- Premiere Pro (mostly)
- FCP X (when desired by clients and prepping for teaching editing)
- After Effects (infrequently)
- Photoshop (frequently)
- AVID (rarely)
- MAYA (looking to learn)
My main concern is compatibility with software, I have the patience to build a system, but not to figure out what isn't work with my production software once in a stable OS X environment. Also I would prefer Thunderbolt, but I can live without it.
Once stable with the OS, how much work has to go into fixing other software issues?
With a student discount, I can get the following iMac ($2,878 with tax and shipping):
- 27" iMac
- 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
- 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2X8GB)
- 256GB Flash Storage
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
- 3 year AppleCare
I would add another 16GB of ram at a later date. I would also either use 56 GB as a Win 8.1 OS drive or figure out an external solution.
Here was my planned hackintosh build ($2,562):
- 27-Inch LED-Lit IPS Professional Graphics Monitor (ASUS PA279Q)
- EVGA GTX770 4GB
- Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core
- Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Z87
- Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHz
- Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III (OS 10.9.1)
- Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III (Win 8.1)
- Corsair Graphite Series Black 600T Mid-Tower Computer Case
- EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G 80PLUS Gold Certified
- ARCTIC MX-4 Carbon-Based Thermal Compound
- Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i