Power management for Sandy/Ivy Bridge/Haswell CPUs

Pimentel

533 posts in this topic

In KernelAndKextPatches section, use this:

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>KernelPm</key>
<true/>

I have heard that it's only patching the kext to prevent KP. If I don't have KP, I don't need that. Is that true?

If you read the OP correctly and RehabMan post it says -xcpm is only required for Ivy Bridge otherwise the default AICPUPM will be used.

Haswell defaults to XCPM and doesn't need the flag.

My Haswell doesn't use the flag and uses XCPM

• Like 1

If you read the OP correctly and RehabMan post it says -xcpm is only required for Ivy Bridge otherwise the default AICPUPM will be used.

Haswell defaults to XCPM and doesn't need the flag.

My Haswell doesn't use the flag and uses XCPM

Mine is an Ivy Bridge CPU.

I have attached my config.plist and SSDT.aml. Thank you.

Is there any special setting I need to change in BIOS as well?

Archive.zip

There's no problem with my BIOS setting. I decided to reinstall everything and report back.

Should I keep using the "DropOEM"?

Update: Finished installing everything. I am able to see "AICPUPMI" stuff. I am not able to see anything related to "xcpm" still. Does it matter how I generated SSDT? I use "-c 1 -w 3 -turbo 3200 -x 1" arguments.

Hi,

I've patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 1st post, then make SSDT.aml for my CPU Core i5-2520M and remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. But system hangs on during boot. I've Yosemite 10.10.3 with Clover installed on my Dell Precision M4600. I can't boot without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. And with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext my system boots very randomly. Often I got KP. 

There are my files, I used, so can somebody look at them to recoignise the problem?

thanks

m4600.zip

here ya go

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302310-sandy-bridge-e-ivy-bridge-e-power-management-1010-yosemite/

skip step 1

skip step 2 it says for asus. if msr 0xe2 is locked check bios for a setting called CFG Lock if its locked)(clover pmpatch does not work for x79)

you already did step 4

With this hack, it's still running the legacy power management, not the XCPM

Hi,

I've patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 1st post, then make SSDT.aml for my CPU Core i5-2520M and remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. But system hangs on during boot. I've Yosemite 10.10.3 with Clover installed on my Dell Precision M4600. I can't boot without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. And with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext my system boots very randomly. Often I got KP. 

There are my files, I used, so can somebody look at them to recoignise the problem?

thanks

Boot your OS X again, and if stop, take a photo and put here.

Boot your OS X again, and if stop, take a photo and put here.

Hi, there are two photos:

1. PStates with NullCPU

2. Screenshot of booting system without NullCPU, when the system hangs on:

PS: AppleIntelCPUPower is patched, SSDT.aml I have generated for my CPU, in Clover DropOEM are checked. But without NullCPU system won't boot.

post-106794-0-60205000-1432450316_thumb.jpg

post-106794-0-71404300-1432450334_thumb.jpg

I think it is good, because with NullCPU system can boot and other kexts are loaded, but OK, I will try to move kexts as you wrote and post the result.

Edited:

I tried move kexts to EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10 but the same result. If I remove NullCPU, system won't boot, it freezes and screen is the same as in post #399

Edited 2:

I think the problem is with DSDT.aml, because it not my own generated DSDT, but I found it on web for my laptop with similar hardware.

Edited 3:

Problem is with Clover bootloader. If I use Chameleon, I don't need NullCPU and then Intel speedstep works after patching AICPUP.kext

But I have one question: what about update osx from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4 etc. Must I patch AICPUP every time after update or exists any other method?

• 5 weeks later...

@Pimentel

Would this procedure work with Xeon W3690 CPU ? codenames are, afaik, Gulftown/Nehalem/Westmere @ http://ark.intel.com/fr/products/52586/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3690-12M-Cache-3_46-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

Additional info @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulftown

If not, how should I procede?

Cheers & Regards,

chatdeau

It will I tried it with my z800 which has dual E5640 Westmere's lost the turbo ratio and 1000 points on a Geekbench doing it so reverted. I have went with PikeRAlpha ssdtprgen beta version which allows you to do custom processors gets me all the ratios even with the nullcpu loaded I see all the changes in speed stepping in the Hardware Monitor.app.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/ssdtprgen-sh-v15-7-beta/