• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars

By saying I can't reboot I meant: Screen turns off but everything else (fan, keyboard) works and it stay like this. I hope you understand what i mean

Try suggestion proposed in post #239.

HiteiKan

HiteiKan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Try suggestion proposed in post #239.

It didn't work. Still the same problem(black screen, fan on) when rebooting. I think i can live without reboot :P

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts

It didn't work. Still the same problem(black screen, fan on) when rebooting. I think i can live without reboot :P

Post ioreg with v2.1 IORegistryExplorer if you want me to look at what you did.

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

XPS machines don't turn off by just using the PS3 or OFF methods. If you are using DSDT then I suggest you to download my DSDT from the downloads section and compare it with yours. Basically looking at OFF and PS3 methods and putting those in your DSDT. http://www.insanelym...l702x-bios-a19/

If you are using Clover then you can use Timewalker's package and get the SSDT from there: http://www.insanelym...2x-uefi-clover/

HiteiKan

HiteiKan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Attached Files

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

@ HiteiKan - read my post if you want to fix your restart problem.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts

There are no calls to _OFF/_ON from DSDT and or SSDT-1 in this ioreg.

HiteiKan

HiteiKan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Sorry, DSDT editing is like a black magic for me. I'll try again later.

@ HiteiKan - read my post if you want to fix your restart problem.

Thanks I'll look in to that.

webcivilian 

EDIT: I found those diffrences but when i try to copy-paste i get like 30 errors :/

I'll try again tomorrow.

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

@HiteiKan - It's because it has the Optimus SSDT. If your DSDT does not have Optimus SSDT sections then you might have an SSDT. Copy the _OFF to your Optimus SSDT or better remove your SSDT completely and get the SSDT from Timewalker's DELL installer.

On XPS L702X and L502X the methods are called OPON and OPOF. It's just better to call _PS3 but we still have to modify the OPOF method as it does not turn off the card in a way that it can be turned on again.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts

@HiteiKan - It's because it has the Optimus SSDT. If your DSDT does not have Optimus SSDT sections then you might have an SSDT. Copy the _OFF to your Optimus SSDT or better remove your SSDT completely and get the SSDT from Timewalker's DELL installer.

Each opinion varies, but I prefer to essentially leave the SSDTs in place and patch them (and DSDT if necessary). It is simpler than copying a bunch of code out of the SSDT into DSDT.

On XPS L702X and L502X the methods are called OPON and OPOF. It's just better to call _PS3 but we still have to modify the OPOF method as it does not turn off the card in a way that it can be turned on again.

Not on this model...

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

What do you mean by not on this model?

Attached File  Optimus.PNG   884bytes   1 downloads

Attached File  Optimus2.PNG   829bytes   1 downloads

Each opinion varies, but I prefer to essentially leave the SSDTs in place and patch them (and DSDT if necessary). It is simpler than copying a bunch of code out of the SSDT into DSDT.

That's what I mean. HiteiKan is using the Optimus SSDT and does not have the Optimus methods in DSDT that is why he is getting the errors. So to get rid of the error its better to get rid of the SSDT and just the Optimus off SSDT instead of a full SSDT.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts

That's what I mean. HiteiKan is using the Optimus SSDT and does not have the Optimus methods in DSDT that is why he is getting the errors. So to get rid of the error its better to get rid of the SSDT and just the Optimus off SSDT instead of a full SSDT.

Problem is what I mention in post #247. You have to actually call _OFF/_ON/etc as I described earlier to get any results. It is simple... No patches, no results.

I disagree with your assertion that is better to "get rid of the SSDT". In my opinion, it is better to use it.

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

There are no _OFF/_ON methods on Dell L502X/L702X as I stated, they are OPOF/OPON. And you can't call them directly. You have to set the correct value for several objects and then call _PS3 else either the card will not turn off or restart will be broken. 

Again I'm not saying to get rid of the system Optimus SSDT. If you look at the attached files by HiteiKan, he has an extracted Optimus SSDT in the ACPI/patched folder. This SSDT is not needed but only a SSDT which has the _PS3 method call to turn off the card.

I had the same problems with restart as it would shutdown the computer. The below SSDT that I had posted earlier on post #73 will turn off the card but restart would break.

DefinitionBlock ("SSDT-1.aml", "SSDT", 2, "DELL ", "Optimus", 0x00001000)
{
    External (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3, MethodObj)    
    External (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM, MethodObj)    
    Method (\_SB._INI, 0, NotSerialized)
    {
        \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM (Buffer (0x10)
            {
                /* 0000 */   0xF8, 0xD8, 0x86, 0xA4, 0xDA, 0x0B, 0x1B, 0x47,
                /* 0008 */   0xA7, 0x2B, 0x60, 0x42, 0xA6, 0xB5, 0xBE, 0xE0
            }, 0x0100, 0x1A, Buffer (0x04)
            {
                 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03
            })
        If (One)
        {
            \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3 ()
        }
    }
}

To fix the restart you have to set several objects and call PS3. I have fixed this issue on XPS laptops and the card turns off with a working restart.

The updated SSDT is included in Timewalker's DELL package: http://www.insanelym...2x-uefi-clover/

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts

What do you mean by not on this model?

See files in post #226.

webcivilian

webcivilian

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

See files in post #226.

OK, I stand corrected. So for L502X it is _OFF/_ON. Still the way to turn the card off and make restart work doesn't change. Everything is the same as L702X inside those methods. 

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts

OK, I stand corrected. So for L502X it is _OFF/_ON. Still the way to turn the card off and make restart work doesn't change. Everything is the same as L702X inside those methods.

Seems like the only exception is calling \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM prior to calling _PS3 (as you have in post #253). It is very much a {censored} shoot with various computers as to whether to call _OFF or _PS3. Often times, they do the same thing.

No need to copy any code from SSDT to DSDT...

Given that the ACPI files seem totally different from what you're expecting, this should probably be verified (via inspection of the _DSM code) by the OP.

HiteiKan

HiteiKan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hi

I've copy/pasted everything from webcivilian's DSDT and everything seems to be ok. Is there any other (easier) way to do this without copying entire SSDT?

orsngepzr

orsngepzr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi!,i wanna kown does it work on AMD 8500/8700m series?There's a "Method(SGOF,xxx)" in my SSDT-3 and "Method(_OFF,xxx)" in SSDT-4,i am not very sure the relationship between SGOF and _OFF,can u give me some advice? If u are glad to,i am very happy to provide my DSDT&SSDTs! Thanks a lot!!

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,457 posts

Hi!,i wanna kown does it work on AMD 8500/8700m series?There's a "Method(SGOF,xxx)" in my SSDT-3 and "Method(_OFF,xxx)" in SSDT-4,i am not very sure the relationship between SGOF and _OFF,can u give me some advice? If u are glad to,i am very happy to provide my DSDT&SSDTs! Thanks a lot!!

You will need both files. To understand the relationship between SGOF and _OFF, read the code for each.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Optimus, Disable, NVidia, Acer, Laptop, V3-571G

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy