Backup Image of HDD dual booting OSX and Win7

lucdavey

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've been playing with mac osx on my pc for about and month now. I've done about 30 fresh installs testing out what is actually needed and what I do need etc.

I'm at the stage now where I have everything set up to my liking, and was thinking I should make an image of the drive with both the OS's and EFI on it, so if i kill something playing around ( I can't help but tweak) I can just pop in a boot disk and re-install the HDD images, putting me back to where I am now, nice and clean and 100pct functional. :)

Usuually I use Ghost for such task, ( the OLD ghost, uses a msdos boot disk, very old)  but Im unsure if its going to work with osx on the drive. I mean I think It might as its just imaging the drive, but it also takes out the 'blank' space, so the end file is only as big as the data on the drive and not the entire drive, so im not sure it can read the OSX partition to image it...

Is there any other simple options such as ghost ?  Something I can make a bootable usb with and boot to that, re-install the image over my potentially corrupt mac osx/ win7 drive ? 

I've been browsing google for a while and am finding alot of fansy programs, none that are simple and effective like good ol' ghost :) 

Any sugggestion would be greatly appreciated

ps.  I would test ghost, but 20 installs is enough :)  I don't want to bugger this one up I jsut want to preserve it lol

Use clonezilla to clone the entire drive, 99% of the time it works perfectly. It's basically a Linux live dvd made for coming drives, partitions, and images. It has never failed me and I've made several clones of multi-os drives. I was even able to clone the hdd from my fusion drive when it was failing... Cloned it to the new HDD, and it booted up as if nothing happened.<br /><br />It's pretty user friendly, more so than dd IMO. I usually make sure to unplug any other drives just to make sure I don't get confused (I have about 10 drives total connected to my rig).<br /><br />Hope that helps.

Just to add to that, it doesn't do anything with blank space or anything like that since it's a block-level clone.

• Like 1

OK awesome I'll check it out. Im guessing the image is going to be 160gb which is the size of the drive,  but if it works, I don't mind, its only going on a spare old hdd that I'll unplug once I'm happy with the image.  

Your advice is much appreciated Jamie, thanks

I generally use true image server 9.7.<br />It is for windows but it is able to copy hfs+ partition too.<br />Need to reinstall boot loader.<br /><br />If you wanna copy os x partition, you can use carbon copy cloner.<br /><br /><br />Hint before copy partition split os from data ( you will reduce the size to copy)<br />

• Like 1