[black-screen] Fresh Install 10.9 on Asus Rampage IV Extreme w/ i7 4930K

MeuPRodrigo

51 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

First of all I want to say thanks to the community and to all the people on these forums making their own Hackintosh and helping people make them.
This post will transform into a guide as I achieve my OS X Mavericks install on my computer.

I recently bought new hardware to build a new PC/MAC for image processing (os x) and gamming (windows).
This is my hardware :

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Motherboard : Asus R.O.G. Rampage IV Extreme, X79, LGA2011
Processor : Intel Core i7 4930K C2 BOX, 3.2GHz, LGA 2011, 6C/12T
CPU Cooler : Noctua
GPU : Asus GTX-770 DirectCU II 2GB GDDR5
Power Supply : Corsair RM Series RM850 (850W)
Case : AeroCool XPredator Evil Black Edition
RAM : G.Skill RipJaws Z Series (4x4GB)

SSD1 : Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic, 250GB (windows installed)
SSD2 : Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB (ready to install os x 10.9)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So first of all I want to say that I tried to install OS X 10.9 by different ways and with different guides/tutorials.

• I tried the first method from RampageDev (myHack Install Method) but all my combinations of bootflags ended up :
    • or with a grey screen (apple logo on) but no loader, and I get stuck there ...
    • or a black screen (no grey screen with apple logo) where I get stuck.
      • PS : I did NOT try "DSDT=No" or "-f" bootflags, as I only read it later ...
      • PS2 : I tried different combinations of these bootflags : "-v -x cpus=1 npci=0×2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No PCIRootUID=0/1"
  • I also tried the second method from RampageDev (UEFI Clover Install Method) but I encountered this problem :
    • After installing OS X and Clover on the USB drive, I boot with it and I get the Clover Bootscreen.
    • I see a main button (square and big) that says (EXTERNAL MAC) with the caption (Install OS X from USB drive) but even if I can change the boot options (with spacebar) I just can't get the install to launch ... I click on the "Install" button but only see a quick refresh of the screen and he stays there ... in two words, just can't launch the installer.
  • I also (deseperatly) tried another method, from a T guy wich I would not explain here as I read the topic about this :)

But I tried to install OS X on my 120GB SSD before I installed my Windows on the 250GB SSD.

But after failling so many times I decided to report my OS X install, and installed Windows first on my 250GB without any problem.

So NOW, the next step would be install OS X on this drive.

So what am I doing now ?

1. I'm at work, but will continue my work this afternoon as I get home ... The point of this post is that I will probably need help for this first hackintosh, and some of you probably have some advises or remarks to give me before I go home and try it again this way. Here some questions I thought about :
    1. Am I doing something wrong ?
    2. Should I be following a different guide that those ones I quoted ?
    3. Do you know if my hardware need some pre-install step that I could have forgotten ?
    4. And what bootflags could be useful for my installer to boot ?
  2. I will try to make a new USB stick with OS X Mavericks on it, but will probably read carefully this post by Shiloooh
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286994-asus-rampage-iv-extreme-x79-guide-extract-edit-your-own-dsdt/
    1. Should I extract my DSDT or use the one made by RampageDev on his x79 Asus zip ??

Thank you very much for reading me :)
André

Ok, update !

Followed this tutorial : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

And some files from RampageDev (kexts and boot.plist) ;)

Got to installer with bootflags "-v -f" but at the end, and even if I have a partition formated with OS Extended (journalised) he keeps saying me :

"Mac OS X Mavericks can't be installed on this computer"

Any idea ?

You have to identify the computer as one that supports Mavericks.  You do this by creating and installing a smbios.plist to the USB drive.

From your tutorial:

2. Chameleon wizard to create a smbios (basically identify your machine as a mac) and to help with bootloader problems

I suggest making a smbios.plist that identifies your computer as a MacPro 5,1 or newer.

You have to identify the computer as one that supports Mavericks.  You do this by creating and installing a smbios.plist to the USB drive.

From your tutorial:

I suggest making a smbios.plist that identifies your computer as a MacPro 5,1 or newer.

Ah! This is only needed for vanilla install right?

Yes and yes.

I didn't do it because it worked only with the 5.1

But could you still tell my what this file is, and what was this step about ??

------

Now the tutorial says that I should fix the installer with the terminal, by booting from the USB drive.

1. From the installer go to Utilities and Terminal.
2. Type cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
3. Type: cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
4. Type reboot

I will do it and come back here tell you what the result is ... but I think I'm again on the rails (of this tutorial at least).

Thanks for your support !

I didn't do it because it worked only with the 5.1

MacPro 6,1 is not in the file, only MacPro 3,1 - 4,1 - 5,1

But could you still tell my what this file is, and what was this step about ??

Apple only supports Mavericks on certain recent models of Mac.  The Mavericks installer checks the model of Mac you are trying to install on then looks up in the list to see if it is a supported model.  If you want to install Mavericks on your Hack, you must tell the installer that it is one of the supported models.  You did that by setting MacPro 5,1 in the smbios.plist which defines the model characteristics of your Hack.  The other choice was to delete PlatformSupport.plist in which case, the installer can't perform the test and just allows the installation to procede anyway.

Nice, thank you very much for this super reply.

Going to an exam now and will try to boot up after it.

Yesterday I managed to install OS X on my SSD, I "patched" the installer like said in tutorial but that is what I get :

- if I boot directly to my Mscintosh HD : it says that there is no functional OS and forces me to reboot

- if I boot on the USB drive, I got the Darwin screen and I can choose from "USB (Install OS X)" "Windows" or "Macintosh HD".

If I choose the USB drive I will boot to the installer again...

If I choose Macintosh HD with -v -f I get stuck on a grey page with Apple logo and loader image but it stays there ...

Did I forgot something ?

Thanks again :)

Ok so now I'm about to resume what I was doing : "try to successful install OS X (seems ok) and be able to boot post-install".

But just for a thing I tried to boot to my other SSD, where I have Windows, (250GB : Windows installed, 120GB Macintosh trying to install) and I thought installing Mac OS X on another drive wouldn't touch my Windows partition BUT it doesn't boot. It asks me for a bootable drive or something like that.

Shouldn't I be able to boot Windows as before trying to install Mac OS X in a separate SSD drive ?

Thanks

Ok so :

Thats the step where it doesn't work.

Part 4 – Initial booot
1. Reboot your system and boot to the USB stick again but this time select your OS X install. This should boot you into your installed copy of OS X.

I fixed the installer with the terminal commands after booting on my USB drive, and rebooted on the USB key.

When Darwin x86 appears, I choose to boot on "Macintosh" with "-v and -f" bootflags as to boot to the installer.

Result : Black screen ... trying now changing the boot flags ... but it appears I can't boot into my installed OS X.

Result 2 : Now if I boot without any bootflags I get the apple grey screen with the apple, but no loader.

Result 3 : with "-v cpus=1 npci=0x2000" => black screen

Result 4 : with "-v -f cpus=1 npci=0x2000" => black screen

Ok now I'm trying the "MyHack Method" from RampageDev again. To check if it's better.

So, made the USB drive (OS X Extended Journalised - GUID) and created my OS X installer with MyHack 3.3.1

myHack 3.3.1 Copyright © 2009-2013 SojuGarden.com
http://myhack.sojugarden.com
Install Type: Create OS X 10.9 Install Disk
Target: /Volumes/usb/
Scanning for OS X 10.9 Installation Sources...
Mounting InstallESD.dmg
Mounting Mac OS X Base System.dmg
OS X 10.9 Install ESD mounted & verified.
OS X 10.9 Base System mounted & verified.
Unmounting /Volumes/usb/
Erasing target volume...
Updated target to: /Volumes/myHack OS X 10.9 Install Disk/
Copying base system files to target volume...
Transfer complete. Transfered 1116MB @ 6 MB/s 
Copying installation packages to target volume...
Transfer complete. Transfered 4577MB @ 27 MB/s 
Extracting mach_kernel...
Copying mach_kernel to target volume...
Transfer complete. Transfered 8MB @ 8 MB/s 

Unmounting /Volumes/OS X Base System/
Unmounting /Volumes/OS X Install ESD/

Installing generic Extra...
Transfer complete. Transfered 996KB @ 996 KB/s 

Enabling kernelcache...
Done.

Adding myHack shortcut to installer's utilities menu...
Done.

Modifying OSInstall.pkg...
Done.

Modifying OSInstall.mpkg...
Done.

OSInstall.framework will not be patched.

Installing myFix 2.2 terminal app...
Transfer complete. Transfered 40KB @ 40 KB/s 

Installing myHack.kext...
Transfer complete. Transfered 1MB @ 1 MB/s 

Installing lspci...
Transfer complete. Transfered 484KB @ 242 KB/s 

Installing utilities for OS X Installer...
Transfer complete. Transfered 1MB @ 1 MB/s 

Fixing permissions on binaries...
Done.

Copying myHack.app to installer...
Transfer complete. Transfered 7MB @ 0 MB/s 

Removing problematic extensions, a copy will be stored in Extra/RemovedExtensions

Backing up ApplePolicyControl.kext...
Transfer complete. Transfered 120KB @ 20 KB/s 
Removing...Done.

Backing up AppleTyMCEDriver.kext...
Transfer complete. Transfered 92KB @ 46 KB/s 
Removing...Done.

Backing up AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext...
Transfer complete. Transfered 72KB @ 36 KB/s 
Removing...Done.

Done.

myFix 2.2 Copyright © 2009-2013 SojuGarden.com

Installing chameleon bootloader...

Installing file system loader...
Unmounting /Volumes/myHack OS X 10.9 Install Disk/
Flushing boot sector...
Installing disk loader...
Device partition type is GPT...
Flagging first partition as active...
Installing partition loader...
Verifying partition loader...
Partition loader verified.
Mounting /dev/disk2s2

Done.

myFix 2.2 Copyright © 2009-2013 SojuGarden.com

Target is OS X 10.9 Installer

Correcting ownership and permissions on extras...
Done.

Merging extra extensions with system extensions...
Done.

Removing old system caches...
Done.

Regenerating system caches...
Waiting for kextcache to finish rebuilding system caches...
This may take a while in some cases...Please be patient!
Done.

2) Then I tried to boot on the USB drive. (I removed also all other hard drives from the computer to focalise on OS X install)

Result1 with no bootflags : stuck at apple logo with no loader ...

Result2 with "-v cpus=1 npci=0×2000" as says RampageDev tutorial : very short code and then blackscreen ...

Result3 with "-v -f cpus=1 npci=0×2000" : the code is longer but after 3-4 seconds I still got a blackscreen ...

3b same with GraphicsEnabler=Yes : same result

3c same with -x : same black screen ...

Result with "-v cpus=1 npci=0×2000 GraphicsEnabler=No" : same black screen

####

What do you think ? I'm having some trouble to understand exactly what I'm doing and where is the problem :/

Thank you a lot

Result : Black screen ... trying now changing the boot flags ... but it appears I can't boot into my installed OS X.

Result 2 : Now if I boot without any bootflags I get the apple grey screen with the apple, but no loader.

Result 3 : with "-v cpus=1 npci=0x2000" => black screen

Result 4 : with "-v -f cpus=1 npci=0x2000" => black screen

It is likely that your graphics card is hanging your boot.  Actually, you are probably booted, but the graphics card won't display the Desktop.

When you get to this point again, and you will, try the following boot flags:

-v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No

It is likely that your graphics card is hanging your boot.  Actually, you are probably booted, but the graphics card won't display the Desktop.

When you get to this point again, and you will, try the following boot flags:

-v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No

Just tried that : very quick code and then blackscreen ...

And I saw : Nvidia : 14MB ? somewhere ... does it help ?

Update : tried without any USB3.0 ports used, and same result (bootflags: -v cpus=1 npci=0x2000)

After advises from R. de Toro i changed my /Extra/ Chameleon.boot.plist :

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,4)</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> arch=X86_64 npci=0x2000</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

And tried :

-f only : stuck at logo logo, no loader

-v -x : Codeeeee and then black screen ... but surely I saw Asus GeFore (...) probably GTX770
-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No : same stuff but without the line about the GC

After advises from R. de Toro i changed my /Extra/ Chameleon.boot.plist :

<string>hd(1,4)</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> arch=X86_64 npci=0x2000</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

And tried :

-f only : stuck at logo logo, no loader

-v -x : Codeeeee and then black screen ... but surely I saw Asus GeFore (...) probably GTX770

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No : same stuff but without the line about the GC

Hi, you need to know what is your partition drive location, mine is 1.4 but maybe yours is 0,2 or 2,2. 

Hi, you need to know what is your partition drive location, mine is 1.4 but maybe yours is 0,2 or 2,2. 

Oh my god I'm a noob. and change it in the plist right ? I'm doing it now !

EDIT : (0,2) OS X Install USB Drive (1,2) Macintosh HD (where i want to install it), I put (1,2) right ?

And I try to boot with -v ? -f ? -x ? What about GraphicsEnabler ?

Ok so I added this instead to the plist file :

<string>hd(2,2)</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f arch=X86_64 npci=0x2000</string>

And erased the mach_kernel with the one in the folder /tools/Ivy Bridge E Kernel (10.9) only/ because I think I have an according processor.

Let's try

Oh my god I'm a noob. and change it in the plist right ? I'm doing it now !

EDIT : (0,2) OS X Install USB Drive (1,2) Macintosh HD (where i want to install it), I put (1,2) right ?

And I try to boot with -v ? -f ? -x ? What about GraphicsEnabler ?

Let graphics=yes and if not work try without. Add <key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string> -f arch=X86_64 npci=0x2000</string>

<string>hd(2,2)</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f arch=X86_64 npci=0x2000</string>

?

No no, if you said is 1,2 put 1,2