Unlock volume for the new iPod 5.5G and Nano 2G

Krazubu

44 posts in this topic

Could someone please enlighten me as to what is being discussed here? If I am reading this properly, there is "locked" space on certain iPods that you can unlock to gain more space?

How much space are we talking about here?

I just purchased a black video iPod about 3-4 months ago. Would this be considered a 5.5 generation iPod?

@ Errandwolfe

The topic is as I set it, ie about the volume limit in 5.5G iPods and 2G nanos for EU.

Yes your iPod is probably a 5.5 one, unless you bought an old stock model

If someone still wants my Gopod build I can repost it.

@ Errandwolfe

The topic is as I set it, ie about the volume limit in 5.5G iPods and 2G nanos for EU.

Yes your iPod is probably a 5.5 one, unless you bought an old stock model

If someone still wants my Gopod build I can repost it.

So, US ipods dont have the limit?

######

This is a simple ten steps procedure to manually patch 5.5G Video iPods under Windows using HxD as hexadecimal editor:

1. First, plug the iPod to the USB port of your computer, after that wait for iTunes to come up (if configured to autostart) and quit it WITHOUT ejecting the iPod.

2. Start HxD (latest version is 1.6.1.0), click on the "Open Disk" button (you can find it just below the "View" menu).

3. You should see a "Removable Disk 1", select it, uncheck "Open as Readonly" and click "OK".

4. Click "OK" to skip the warning message.

5. Now click Search->Find (Ctrl+F) to open the search panel.

6. Type this in the "Search for" text line: 08009fe5940090e5

7. Select datatype "Hex-values" and click "OK".

8. The first string found IS NOT the one we're looking for, push F3 to find next...

9. FOUND! At the end of the selected string you will find the two magic bytes in "capped" position (01 00). Swap them (00 01).

10. Save (Ctrl+S), close (Ctrl+F4) and eject the iPod from the tray bar icon.

The iPod should now reboot. Go to Settings->Volume Limit and raise the volume bar to the max.

Now your iPod volume has been boosted.

######

And my notes:

In order to perform this hack you will need a Hex Editor capable of editing hard disks directly, such as HxD. Under Linux this is easy, since direct access to block devices is facilitated through the /dev directory. Typically you would issue a command like "hexedit /dev/sda1". If you don't have hexedit, then look for it in your distro's repos. Make sure you are editing the correct block device, which should be obvious since you'll see the string "iPod" near the beginning of the hex dump.

As if I need to tell you - be extremely careful; one wrong step and you'll b0rk your iPod, but if you reverse the edit you should be fine.

Once done, and your iPod reboots, when you get to the section of the guide explaining how to increase the volume limit preferences on the iPod, one thing I found quite confusing was that if the current volume (not the limit, just the actual currently set volume), is less than MAX, then after you set the "volume limit" to max, then click the centre button on the iPod, the volume immediately drops back down to the previous "normal volume" setting; making you think that the max limit hack isn't working. Actually it is working, it's just that the iPod's way of setting the volume limit is not particularly intuitive. When setting the max limit, Ignore the "volume bar" and the actual audible volume; what is important is the the little blue arrow at the bottom - its current position indicates the max volume limit, the slider bar does not. The slider bar merely indicates the current volume, not the max limit.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I'm not only a newbie to the forum but also a newbie in the Ipod world. I just got an 80 Gb Ipod video. The volume situation is a really big disappointment and I really, really want to uncap it. I've got a Mac Pro 8 core and I've tried the modified version of the gopod hack (for intel) but the Gopod still doesn't detect the Ipod, while Itunes has no problem. I've tried forcing the Ipod into disk mode and also via Itunes (enable disk usage), but Gopod still doesn't see the bugger.Any suggestions?Or should I consider getting rid of it and ordering a used Ipod from the US? (I'm mailing from the Netherlands).Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!Thank you!!ClarkOne other thing... just tried to solve the problem by 'attempting' to format my Ipod on a Windows platform so I could edit the firmware with HxD as described above, only to realize that if I did this I would have to first restore the Ipod, then format in Windows... but if I want to use the Ipod with my Mac, then I would have to again restore before reformatting it back to Mac and then Poof! back to square 1 again .Is it possible to alter this code in OSX??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have a ipod 5G 80Gig Video and I would like to confirm a couple of details.

In point 2 you mention click on the "Open Disk" button (you can find it just below the "View" menu).

there is no button this is found under "Extras - Open Disk" do you mean this?

Also I have attached a screen shot of the bytes that need to be changed can you please confirm this is correct?

post-144773-1193223197_thumb.gif

######

This is a simple ten steps procedure to manually patch 5.5G Video iPods under Windows using HxD as hexadecimal editor:

1. First, plug the iPod to the USB port of your computer, after that wait for iTunes to come up (if configured to autostart) and quit it WITHOUT ejecting the iPod.

2. Start HxD (latest version is 1.6.1.0), click on the "Open Disk" button (you can find it just below the "View" menu).

3. You should see a "Removable Disk 1", select it, uncheck "Open as Readonly" and click "OK".

8. The first string found IS NOT the one we're looking for, push F3 to find next...

9. FOUND! At the end of the selected string you will find the two magic bytes in "capped" position (01 00). Swap them (00 01).

The iPod should now reboot. Go to Settings->Volume Limit and raise the volume bar to the max.

Now your iPod volume has been boosted.

######

And my notes:

In order to perform this hack you will need a Hex Editor capable of editing hard disks directly, such as HxD. Under Linux this is easy, since direct access to block devices is facilitated through the /dev directory. Typically you would issue a command like "hexedit /dev/sda1". If you don't have hexedit, then look for it in your distro's repos. Make sure you are editing the correct block device, which should be obvious since you'll see the string "iPod" near the beginning of the hex dump.

As if I need to tell you - be extremely careful; one wrong step and you'll b0rk your iPod, but if you reverse the edit you should be fine.

Once done, and your iPod reboots, when you get to the section of the guide explaining how to increase the volume limit preferences on the iPod, one thing I found quite confusing was that if the current volume (not the limit, just the actual currently set volume), is less than MAX, then after you set the "volume limit" to max, then click the centre button on the iPod, the volume immediately drops back down to the previous "normal volume" setting; making you think that the max limit hack isn't working. Actually it is working, it's just that the iPod's way of setting the volume limit is not particularly intuitive. When setting the max limit, Ignore the "volume bar" and the actual audible volume; what is important is the the little blue arrow at the bottom - its current position indicates the max volume limit, the slider bar does not. The slider bar merely indicates the current volume, not the max limit.

• 3 weeks later...

<snip>

@bwhsh8r

What process did you use to work out which address needed modifying? I'd like to try it on my 2g Nano but the same string doesn't exist.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I have a 5.5G ipod and want to know if any one has figured out the hacks for 1.2.3 (games, sound cap). I was running altered firmware before, but I'm not sure if it uncapped my sound level or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, hex offsets would also be helpful for different versions/patches along with the original and altered bytes.

Edit: I guess the sound cap is only on European ipods. As for the games and bckground hacks, there don't appear to be any yet for 1.2.3.

• 4 weeks later...