Unlock volume for the new iPod 5.5G and Nano 2G

Krazubu

44 posts in this topic

If you have tried to unlock your brand new iPod video 5.5G with GoPod and your intel mac, you've probably didn't managed, Gopod saying no iPod is detected.

I thought 1st that it was because the new firmware required a new method, but it seems it's only because of Gopod being PPC, after I recompiled it for intel it worked immediatly.

If you are not familiar with Xcode compilation (or lazy :D ), you can grab my build attached to this post.

Good luck and post your results :)

Link restored on 10/07/07 :

New Gopod build that should fix the path issue

If you have tried to unlock your brand new iPod video 5.5G with GoPod and your intel mac, you've probably didn't managed, Gopod saying no iPod is detected.

I thought 1st that it was because the new firmware required a new method, but it seems it's only because of Gopod being PPC, after I recompiled it for intel it worked immediatly.

If you are not familiar with Xcode compilation (or lazy :D ), you can grab my build attached to this post.

Good luck and post your results :)

Thanks, and everyone who has decently new firmware (my mini had it) has this limit... this program is also good for windows :D thanks for recompiling it for everyone! :thumbsup_anim:

-

Hello, please, I have 80GB 5.5G iPod and a windows xp pc. As you know, the official Gopod version doesn't work, can you please tell me how to use your file on a windows pc or can you please recompile a windows version of Gopod that works with 5.5G?

Than You very much.

Stefano

i tried downloading the re compile and it said the uncompression failed and i tried it manually and it just keep getting different archives like .gz then dmg.zip then like tar.gz2 or some crazyness like that

Well, I figured out the issue. It's looking for some files in the devlopment folder I used to build it.

I updated the file, try to DL it again, if it still doesn't work, just move the app where it would like to be :) (look in the console to find that path)

There's probably a cleaner method but I'm not used to compiling

krazubu - I am confused. goPod 1.4 doesn't detect the 2G nano under Windows either... so I don't see this can be a build problem with PPC vs Intel macs? Surely it's problem with the goPod detection routine not detecting the new 2g nano?

I have looked through the goPod source code and I am sure that someone with only slightly more understanding of it than me could alter it to work with the new 2G nano. Any takers?

Hi there

Krazubu: Have you done this with a 80 or 30 GB 5.5 iPod?

(I have a 80 GB and I've read somewhere that there are some physical differences between the new 80 GB harddrive and the others...)

regards

Magnus

... of course theres some physical diferences between the new 80 gb hdd and the others.... they needed to make it bigger.... and yea it will still work, this has nothing to do with the harddrive at all.... im pritty sure its in the firmware.... it will work

... of course theres some physical diferences between the new 80 gb hdd and the others.... they needed to make it bigger.... and yea it will still work, this has nothing to do with the harddrive at all.... im pritty sure its in the firmware.... it will work

What I meant was that the new 80 GB-disk uses "perpendicular" disk technology, so that it can store 80 gb on the same two platters that the 60 gb stores 60.

I thought maybe that made it more difficult to access the disk to adjust the firmware, but I guess goPod doesn't do stuff on that level (direct disk-access)...

Anyways, I tried to use the Krazabu-edition of goPod on a friends Intel-mac with my Windows-formatted 80 GB'er, and... it didn't work. Do you think it's becuase it's Windows-formatted?

(I can't mac-format my ipod, so if this is the case, I'll probably have to wait until the "official" goPod makes it work.)

Magnus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
manbug, if the version I posted doesn't work, all you have to do is to recompile the sources yourself. That worked for me, there's no reason it doesn't for you, it's a matter of seconds

I've tried to compile source in UB version but unsuccesfull, error "undefined symbols"....

• 3 months later...