Saving data on messed up OSX86 HDD

roawr

2 posts in this topic

Dear InsanelyMac,

until I was stupid enough to do an 10.6.8. v1.1 update and reinstall some .kext my Hackintosh worked like a charm for the last four years. I set it up with Kakewalk back then and never had any trouble, see the components in the list below. But right now it fails to boot and I don't have a clue how do get it running again, because I didn't had a look into the whole game for years.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L F11b

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Sparkle GeForce 9800GT 512MB
4GB Kingston HyperX DIMM DDR2-1066
1TB Hitachi HDD

ASUS WL-138gv2

Here's where the boot process stops; I think the reason is a wrong FakeSMC.kext I reinstalled:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation faileACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialize
systemShutdown false

Being in this kinda dumb situation right now, I got two questions:

1. Is there any way to fix this, maybe by exchanging the aforementioned FakeSMC.kext with the right one?

2. If not, is there any way to access the HDD (with a bootloader or cd) to copy my personal data from the boot partition to an external hdd?

As you may see in the last question: I'm not hesitating to do a fresh install, but I need a lot of the date on that drive before I can do that. Thanks in advance!

2. There are few options available.

• If you have Windows installed on the PC, install an official HFS+ driver from Boot Camp and then you would be able to read all the data from the disk
  • If you have Windows installed on the PC, install a 3d party applications to read HFS+, such as Transmac, MacDrive
  • Install a virtual OS X on a Windows PC and use it to copy files
  • Boot from OS X install dvd and copy all the info with Terminal to a spare disk (be it FAT/exFAT or HFS+ - NTFS is not supported)
  • Some Linux distros can read HFS+, so you could boot from a Live CD and copy the info to a spare disk
  • Use a spare disk to install OS X to, then use the current drive as a source to import user date from (OS X during post installation setup, offers you to import information, application, settings from an existing OS X installation (be it Mac or HDD with OS X installed)). Be sure to import only data - not settings or applications