MAC VS WINXP

25 posts in this topic

Hi im gettin ready to buy a new notebook, im tired of all the viruses targeted twords win xp

is the mac software user friendly enough for a guy who has never used it before to learn it

id apreciate any impute u have

thanx

Gr8

yes.... it's fairly straight forward. Probably the MOST user friendly; Apple goes through great length to make everything as easy as possible.

depending on how intensive a user you are, you may find it flustering at first... most don't seem to have a problem...

If you're opting for a Mac(intel), don't forget, you can always install xp on if it doesn't seem to be working for you.

Hi im gettin ready to buy a new notebook, im tired of all the viruses targeted twords win xp

is the mac software user friendly enough for a guy who has never used it before to learn it

thanx

Gr8

Its quite dumbed down, if you really dont know walk into an apple store, when the annoying clirk asks you if you need anything say "no im just looking" and wait till they leave, then procede to go to the mac of your choice and try it out, if a storeclirk sees you and says anything just say no or i dont need anything or im just looking so they wont bother you and stalk you through the store like a wounded antelope in Africa stalked by lions... just thought that may help

thanx

Gr8

osx is very simple to learn, i figured out the important stuff in a couple hours, and within a couple days i couldn't believe i hadn't bought a mac before. it might take a bit to get as good in osx as you might have been in xp (depending how computer literate you are), but you'll be really glad you make the switch. and while you're learning osx, you can always install boot camp and put on xp for the times where you need to do something but haven't figured out how to do it in osx. there are plenty of resources for switchers, you should check those out.

If you go in with the mentality that it's an entirely different operating system, then OS X is easy to learn.

If you go in with the mentality that OS X is exactly like Win XP and should behave like it and blah blah blah, then you'll have problems.

That is good advice if you decide to switch :thumbsup_anim:

antivirus is pontless as of right now, and the built in firewall is perfectly fine for almost anyone.

agreed, don't bother with antivirus for mac right now. firewall, yes. go into help and figure out how to turn it on, and then how to turn on stealth mode. but worry about that after you get tthe mac...

Yet the apple store sells them anyways?.. The link speaks for itself.

I like the summary under Intego's Virus barrier "It knows the unique signatures of all known Macintosh viruses..". Not like there were many to cover...

With one exception, all Mac viruses need the Classic environment or MS Office (nasty cross platform macros) to run. So for now, antivirus is useless unless you're planning on running Classic or MS Office. Even then, ClamXAV is still free and still good.

Windows viruses just...need...Windows. There is also ClamWin for Windows.

agreed, don't bother with antivirus for mac right now. firewall, yes. go into help and figure out how to turn it on, and then how to turn on stealth mode. but worry about that after you get tthe mac...

My modem came with a hardware fw/router, you just gotta configure that and your all safe :thumbsdown_anim:

Yet the apple store sells them anyways?.. The link speaks for itself.

The link says two things:

1. Apple wants to make money.

2. Some clueless customers switching over from the wintel world may be frightened that there isn't an antivirus program available for their shiney new mac.

Bottom line is that a virus program isn't needed on a mac. Yet. Crosses fingers....... :)

Apple sells such products because they have a relationship with Norton/Symantec and they can't be picky in case they're necessary at some point. That means: Apple can't say "Oh we want this product, and this one, but that one, forget it, we'll never stock it." To Norton/Symantec or any other software provider, that's a slap in the face.

Besides, even without the actual need for such utility software on a Mac, you have to realize that someday someone somewhere, probably a bored teenager that was born with a mouse in hand living in a basement someplace in Bulgaria or some other country might decide to write a "supervirus" that targets specifically Mac machines.

People think just because OSX is based on BSD, meaning it has Unix in it's heritage, makes it safe. Nothing could be further from the truth. For example: sendmail, probably the most overly abused piece of code ever written, is part of the foundation of Unix itself and provides the email subsystems.

30 years ago it was being targeted for exploits and they were discovered. Present day sendmail still regularly has exploits discovered by wily hackers and people that really should focus their time on doing something productive with their knowledge and skills.

To put it as bluntly as possible, here's an equation of sorts:

OSX based on BSD != The safest OS ever written...

It's close, I'll hand it that, but it's not perfect. There is no such thing as secure in the computer world, ever. So, Apple has to maintain good relations with companies like Norton/Symantec and others "just in case."

bb

For example: sendmail, probably the most overly abused piece of code ever written, is part of the foundation of Unix itself and provides the email subsystems.

Apple dropped Sendmail for Postfix back in 10.3.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to add something to de wxp cons. Recently I bought a phonic helixboard 24 firewire. Now I know I need a mac or a hackintosh because firewire is not fully supported by windows xp, even with the fix they released. Since I bought the board i've had firewire problems (also even when I made a partition only for my daw, just sonar6 the helix driver and nothing else).

A few weeks ago I installed Mac osX 10.4.7 (jas) and to my surprise I didn't even need a driver. Unplug it and it dissapear plug it and there it is again. On the contrary on xp if you unplug it then you have to reset the driver or reset the pc.

I hope this helps. I think windows xp is a very lousy OS and I expect the same from vista for the simple reason that microsoft don't seem to care about the quality of their soft, they just do it for the money as they did from the begining.

I'm a long time PC and Windows 98 and XP user and I would like to state that what you hear about virus in XP and Windows is lots of bogus. Yes, there are WAY more annoying viruses for Windows than there is for Mac, as it's based on linux. However, Windows viruses dont' just happen. If you just using it to check your mail and surf the internet then your fine from viruses. If you a developer then your still safe. I think most people know not to even bother looking at an email from someone like "Alphonse Roberts" and has a 40byte Excel attachment. I hardly ever yet a virus on my computer, and if I do it's just a low threat worm or something that Avast or AVG gets rid of.