New MacBook - Experiences

munky

21 posts in this topic

So I received my replacement MacBook today (the last one had random shutdown syndrome).

The stock RAM sticks had thermal paste on them, the trackpad button is spongy and sometime unresponsive, the left Command key sticks.

All in all, not terribly impressed. This is a brand new (week 39 build) MacBook which shipped direct from the factory last week, to me.

I just hope they've replaced the thermal assembly so that random shutdown is gone for good.

Now im debating with myself... can I live without the notebook for another few weeks until I get another replacement? Or do i just put up with it?

thanks. what i might do is demand a new one but insist i keep my existing one until it arrives.

If it was me, I'd keep demanding a new one until you are satisfied. That seems like pretty bad build quality for a week 39 machine.

Mine is a week 31, and I've had no problems with it so far.

totally unacceptable!!!

Apple is supposed to be BETTER than the rest!!!

you wouldn't stand for IBM or DELL pulling that {censored}

Apple should be no different

or it that the real message behind the "think different" ads :)

Call AppleCare and the first thing you need to say is "I need to speak with your supervisor." Then when the supervisor comes on, demand to speak with HIS/HER supervisor. Keep going up the chain until you can't go up any more and your problem will get fixed.

yeah eventually: "Steve, you and i have a problem and here's how we're gonna fix it..."

i'd send it back, you're not gonna want to live with all those problems for the lifetime of the system. besides, those are the things wrong with it that you KNOW about, what if there are others you still haven't found?

Yup, I agree - complain until you get it fixed. As we say here in America (which we probably stole from you), the squeaky wheel gets the grease. ;)

It really is unacceptable, though.

really is unacceptable munky...

keep you mac and demand a new one, i have seen them doing it for Pwermacs G5.

I really loved ASUS, until they were designed by apple to made the macbooks, oh my god.. i would never buy an asus notebook!

i would never buy any windows notebook again anyway.

What is happening with the legendary Quality conrtrol from apple?

Munky keep us informed!

ok, so a friend of a friend has come by a macbook 1.83, wanted me to 'have a look at it' (she knows nothing about computers). so in my room i currently have my week 39 1.83 macbook, and a week 32.

the differences:

my trackpad button is spongy and sometimes unresponsive - hers is clicky and great

my left command key sticks when pressed - hers doesnt

but here's the killer... i had actually noticed this myself but thought i must be imagining it...

THE SCREEN ON HERS IS BRIGHTER!!

wtf is that about? i had thought to myself a few days ago...hmm this screen doesnt seem quite as bright as the last one (my first macbook, which sadly had random shutdown syndrome but was otherwise fantastic), but thought i must be imagining it, but NO - it really is not as bright.

so... the latest macbooks would appear to have some 'quality issues' shall we say. this damn notebook is going back to apple.

now.. who thinks i should:

1) RMA it and get my money back, wait for Core 2 Duo version

2) Demand a replacement, and demand to keep this one in the meantime.

vote now :)

im not so sure MacBook (non-pro) will go core 2 anytime soon, maybe just the pro.

i have 14 days in which to inform apple of my intention to return the machine (or request another), so i'm going to wait a while and see if anything transpires of the updated macbooks - an actual release or some more concrete info.

Wow... I'm shocked... I know I'd be so upset if I had a lemon like that...

but it got me thinking...

I'm one of the many who are waiting to hear about the C2D MBPs - I need it for work, actually, and they are going to hook it up for me... but is it a bad idea to order it right away? Wow... I cant believe the problems you are having with a week 39! Should I worry about a week 1 C2D MBP? My gut says yes...

a core 2 duo mbp should theoretically be just like a revision to the macbook pro, since the merom processor is a pin-compatible, drop-in replacement for the yonah.

of course, if they decide to change more about the mbp than just the processor, that argument perhaps doesnt hold water.

a core 2 duo mbp should theoretically be just like a revision to the macbook pro, since the merom processor is a pin-compatible, drop-in replacement for the yonah.

of course, if they decide to change more about the mbp than just the processor, that argument perhaps doesnt hold water.

Thats one mac that has some problems, surgest some counseling for it!

BaYlisS!