boot0 and boot1 errors

mnfesq

2 posts in this topic

After having too many problems with the 10.9.2 beta, I decided to restore my 10.9.1 installation from Time Machine.  I used my Mavericks USB installer to restore from Time Machine backup and all went well.  Of course, I anticipated having to deal with the boot0 error because I have a 1 TB hard drive.

I followed the usual procedure of installing the boot1h file to the drive's MBR.  I actually keep a copy of the boot1h file in the root directory of my USB installer so that all I have to do is boot to the installer, unmount my OS X partition using Disk Utility, and then enter these commands in Terminal:

cd /Volumes/USB

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0

Usually, that is all I need to do.  Typically, all I need is to install Clover in my usual manner.  However, I guess I did not wipe out all of the data in my MBR so, when I booted up, I got a boot1 error.  After reading as much as I could about it, including comments by RehabMan that boot0 could not find boot1, I realized I needed to change that so I copied the boot1h2 file from my USB installer (placed there when I installed Clover on my USB installer - it's in /usr/standalone/i386/) to the root of my USB installer.  I then boot up to the USB installer, unmounted my OS X partition using Disk Utility, and then entered the following commands in Terminal:

cd /Volumes/USB

dd if=boot1h2 of=/dev/rdisk0s2

That got rid of the boot1 error and it allowed my laptop to boot without the USB installer.

I should mention that I have the HP Envy 17t-3200 CTO.  It cannot use EFI booting without way more trouble than it's worth (so far) and requires that I use Legacy Bios Booting. Nothing I have written here is original but it took me a long, long time to find this solution and I hope it will be easier for the next person by my posting it here.

• 2 months later...

Nice Tip mnfesq, but I think we need to add bs=4094 to the dd command. 

dd if=boot1h2 of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=4096 ,  

Like shown in this video  = 

Only when I added bs=4096 I was able to clear the boot 1 error in couple of 4k HDD’s.