Gpu heating up

FALLOFMAN

30 posts in this topic

I'll start with my system specs

motherboard: p8z77v-lx

processor: intel i5 3570k sandy bridge

8 gigs of ram

gpu: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560

OS: Mavericks 10.9.0 retail install (installed using myhack and #####)

Basically my problem is at first my gpu is running fine, when I open a few windows, it starts to work a bit more(and heat up), causing the fan to work more (which I suppose is normal but its a $250 card and when I had windows 7, it took a lot more than a few open windows/programs to get the card to start heating up). The real problem is, once I close programs and things I had open, even in idle, the card and fan of the card stays working (and heating up) and won't stop until I reboot. Also my computer randomly freezes causing my to reboot and am now wondering if this may be why. Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

Oh and also mavericks only boots if I type -f on startup, this only started happening a few days ago.

Hello

That's what happens when you use the tony's tools ... Your system is badly configured ...

We DO NOT give support tonymac's tools, he is a thief who steals things from others and want to make money from it, and the people who develop these things don't charge for it ...

My advice: Re install the system with Myhack and make a post-installation manually ...

I can help you with the post-installation, but will have to forget the tony's tools

• Like 2

Please understand that I can't possibly tell you because I don't know what issues you were trying to solve by running Voldemorts post install tools.

Install with MyHack (if you must) then post and tell us about what's not working.

For video card power management to work you need to carefully choose your model identifier and look into modifying AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. We have guides.

This is not something you can fix by running post-install "point, click-and-crash" tools.

There is currently a bug that affects Kepler cards in Mavericks causing them not to clock down when idle, but yours is not a Kepler card. But maybe your issue is related to that.

I recommend the same method that everyone uses - use a working mac or hack (or even OS X in a virtual machine) to build an installer on a flash drive or a hard drive partition. Install a boot loader to it and add configuration and kernel extensions required for the installer to boot on your hardware. In a nutshell, that's what every single guide that you will find teaches you to do.

Minimum requirements: Fakesmc.kext.

Both my motherboards (Asus P5Q-E and my P8PZ77-V Pro) can boot into the installer and complete an installation with only fakesmc.kext and Chameleon. No magic required.

All good then. Just be careful with automated post install tools. It's much better if you study and do things by hand, that way you know exactly what's happening.

I can only repeat what I've already said. I always feel strange repeating something I have just written, but here we go again (this time with an added bonus):

You must hand-modify AGPM.kext if you want to take a stab at fixing video card power management. There are guides here and elsewhere.

I still don't know what issues you were trying to fix using Voldemorts tools so either you tell me or register a new account over there and get help with them.

Use iMac13,1 model identifier in smbios.plist.

Take mine, remember to add a valid serial number. You can use Chameleon Wizard to generate it. Google to find examples of what the SMboardserial should look like for an iMac13,1.

smbios.plist.zip

btw (re: your first post) the 3570k is Ivy Bridge, not Sandy.

I only used that other guys tools to install some initial kexts when I first booted maverick, but once I started having the issues I wrote in this thread, I never touched that tool again and haven't tried fixing the problem. I read a few things here and there but I am very new at this so I thought i'd ask around. Thanks for the help, ill try out your method.

• 6 months later...
You must hand-modify AGPM.kext if you want to take a stab at fixing video card power management. There are guides here and elsewhere.

Hi,

I need your help very badly. I am facing heating problem and thereby screen artifacts.

My specs:

Dell XPS 15 L502x, i5 2450m, 540m graphics, 8GB Ram. I tuned Smbios as of MacBook Pro 8.1 using chameleon wizard and ssdt for 2450m by Rehabman. Patched for battery management with Rehabman laptop patches. not to say installed using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. myhack gave me lot of troubles. P-state and C-state working. Only BIG problem is heat and screen artifacts.

Thanks in advance.

He said "540M graphics".

Venkat:

From a quick google, MacBookPro8,1 sounds like a reasonable match for that hardware - except it has Intel HD3000 graphics, not Nvidia graphics.

OSX's power management profile for that model identifier is not set up to work with your your 540M. Either change to a model identifier from a MacBookPro that uses Nvidia graphics, or, as I've said more than once in this thread already, look up how to modify AGPM.kext so that it will work for you.

I have edited the full-quote in your post to reflect that.

If you're using TonyMac tools, all bets are off, go to their forum for support.

Either change to a model identifier from a MacBookPro that uses Nvidia graphics, or, as I've said more than once in this thread already, look up how to modify AGPM.kext so that it will work for you.

First I should say sorry for using Tony Mac Tools. I didnt know there is an issue with them. Except to use for USB installer, I didnt use any other tools. Regarding your suggestion for changing MBP model, I searched google only to find 8.1 use sandy bridge with hd3000 and AMD Radeon GFX. I am sorry again. I didnt find the method to modify AGPM.kext. Please explain here, if you dont mind. Please clarify another doubt. Does this heat issue brings up screen artifacts? or that is another problem. Unable to use laptop more than 10 mins fearing it may burn up my CPU and GPU. I am sorry again for tonymac issue. I stick only to this forum to get my issues solved. I hope no issues with Rehabman. 

Thanks in advance.

Sorry. If I change the values given in the post does my screen artifacts disappear? This problem became severe and I am unable to see anything. Please help me out. Artifacts are driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Full quote removed. Please don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them.

Hello

But your dedicated graphic 540M doens't work in OSX, because optimus technoly dosn't work...

Looking for enable HD 3000 and disable dedicated graphic in Bios

In dell BIOS or SMBIOS.? Shall I remove all related kexts leaving only hd3000 in S/L/E?

Hello

You need disable in bios… if you don’t find nothing to disable… just remove Nvidia grafikas…

All grafiks that begin with NVD* and GeForce* remove with transmac… leave others kexts untouched…

try boot with -v -f

if don’t boot with it… try this other -x -v -f

Hello

You need disable in bios… if you don’t find nothing to disable… just remove Nvidia grafikas…

All grafiks that begin with NVD* and GeForce* remove with transmac… leave others kexts untouched…

try boot with -v -f

if don’t boot with it… try this other -x -v -f

Removed all nvidia,ATI and AMD, Intel 4000 and 5000 graphic kexts from S/L/E. Still artifacts not leaving. Anything to do in DSDT or SSDT? or in SMBIOS.

Hello

What method are you using? retail or distro???

Can you put your hardware in signaute? it will help much…

Retail. Downloaded from Apple store.  Laptop Specs: Dell XPS 15 L502x , i5 - 2450m, Hd3000, Nvidia 540m, 8gb RAM. Dual Boot with windows.