• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

mondial

mondial

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
This topic should animate creating a working installation of Maverick for the 1201N from scratch.
Please feel free to leave all your experience, ideas and comments for OSX 10.9 - maybe there is a way to create an installation guide.
Thank You, Mondi

Joonie

Joonie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:x86, OSX, Linux

Finally I have Mavericks 10.9.1 running on my ASUS 1201N

ASUS 1201N 

[0326 Stock Rom]

4GB DDR2

SAMSUNG 128GB SSD

DELL mini 1510 Wifi

Everything is working [AUDIO/BT/WIFI/HOTKEY]

currently using latest Chameleon bootloader svn 2.2 2334

modified mach_kernel is used [not using Kernel patcher at the moment.]

I couldn't install this on my system at the beginning since it gave me error saying can't be installed on this system so I did SMBIOSDefaults=YES and then it let me install the package.

As soon as the package was installed I pulled out my ssd and plug that in to my desktop so I could just install bootloader via VMware..

I can't use "kernelcache" because it doesn't boot with that option so I had to put "-F" option to ignore the cache, now it boots fine QE/CI seems working with Graphic Enabler=Yes option [ I can see waves whenever I add something on Dashboard]

however, iCloud services don't seem to work [iMessage,Facetime..]

Appstore's working though..

the kext files I found are here http://www.osx86.net...-in-asus-1201n/

Hope this helps.

49832ef646c8e1ccaccadb68a39e8f2f180814.j

5345739eba55bda32ddebc1c1f858d9a202753.j

Laberlohe

Laberlohe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Unlucky I've sold my 1201N :-(

Have you tried additional bootflag "EthernetBuitIn=Yes" to fix iCloud/iMessage?

Are able to boot with "-f" after repairing permission/rebuilding kernel cache with kext utility? http://www.insanelym...-speed-edition/

Joonie

Joonie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:x86, OSX, Linux

Unlucky I've sold my 1201N :-(

Have you tried additional bootflag "EthernetBuitIn=Yes" to fix iCloud/iMessage?

Are able to boot with "-f" after repairing permission/rebuilding kernel cache with kext utility? http://www.insanelym...-speed-edition/

Ethernet Builtin =Yes didn't solve the problem, nor the kernel patcher, or NVRAM klib.. nothing worked.

kext utility 2.6.0 didn't fix the issue either.. I delelted all my extensions inside EXTRA/EXTENSION as well as extension.mkext  cuz I put all my extra kexts inside S/L/E.

Still can't boot without ignoring caches.

.venice.

.venice.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Kexts have nothing to do with iCloud services - it's a kernel thing. We need a working KernelPatcher module.

@theconnactic already filed a bug report here But as you can read in the comments, meklort doesn't have a specific date for the fix. So we have to wait patiently.

SamReedy

SamReedy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

im running 10.9 on my 1201n did it a few months ago and been using my hackingtosh desktop much more so kinda forgot about it, now the gf needs to borrow the laptop so booted her up again to check stuff out :)

and it seems very slowwwww

boot up time is very slow and also just moving about and clicking on things is slow, when I used it last it was fine

thoughts?

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts

I've fixed Clover's kernel patcher, SPDScan and other MCP-chipset related issues and put together an installer package (really, it was for my self) suitable for 10.7 to 10.10 to get everything up and running in just few clicks.

Don't mirror my files without my permission!

Some essential steps to get this going on 1201N, using Mavericks as an example:

1. Get ahold of OSX machine where you can prepare a USB MBR/FAT32 drive with CloverEFI. Get Clover r2771 and install to USB drive in the following manner:

cdd726b321.png

We just need MBR/PBR bootsectors to install, the rest is of minor importance.
2. Download Mavericks from Mac AppStore using your valid AppleID and use DiskMakerX to create a bootable USB GUID/HFS+ installer media
3. Remove EFI folder from your drive, put the contents of 1201N_CLOVER_USB archive there.

4. Go to BIOS and disable AHCI, set SATA mode to IDE. If your HDD is still formatted with OEM recovery image you need to disable BootBoster too as it will prevent you from entering Esc boot menu.
5. Start up the netbook, press Esc at POST and select your Clover USB drive. Boot from it and when GUI appears select your OSX Install Media and press space, chose Boot with Injected kexts.
6. When prompted to switch on keyboard and mouse just tap space. Go into Disk Utility and repartition your HDD/SSD with GPT (GUID) partition table. Create a Mac OS Journaled partition to install Mavericks onto. Exit disk utility and proceed with the installation. The installer will reboot the netbook and next time choose Boot OS X Install from ....*whatever you named your partition*, boot using space with injected kexts again and installation will finish.. it takes a while on MCP79 AHCI controller compared to Intel.
7. After you have installed Mavericks just boot it again using *space method* ....

8. When you have booted OSX, use same Clover package as before and install it in the following manner:

17cd5f2063.PNG

9. When that's done get my support package for 1201N and install it. Make sure to read the change log as it has some important information. 

2205a8e1ad.png

Version 1.2. (August 9th, 2014):

- Corrected a problem with serial number generator (thanks @theconnactic)
- Fixed error where installer was finishing with Failed message

- Patch added to address “ATH: Unknown locale xx” spam with Atheros 9285 (no need to mod EEPROM)

NB: Delete config.plist from EFI system partition before running the installer to ensure it generates a proper serial instead of backing up the old invalid one!

Version 1.1. (August 7th, 2014):

Spoiler

Version 1.0. (July 20th, 2014):

Spoiler

Explore your new fully functional (except HDMI audio) 1201N in whichever system version you desire ... 

Main system I'm on is 10.8.5, feels snappier, colder and less flashy, enters sleep immediately too ... can't beat that. 

Test partition has 10.10 DP3 installed, updated to Public Beta without issues.

P.S. Don't mind missing battery icon, i have my battery out.

Spoiler

styrian

styrian

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

@ Timewalker

Hello!

I thank you very much for the great package. The supportscript of the package did not work for me. It could be on one hand, that the 10.9 install, on which I have run the script, was not appropriate. On the other hand I swapped out the ssd of my desktop, with former bootloader Chameleon. I have only erased a partiton and did not reformat the whole ssd. But manually I got it working. What I can confirm is, that the clover files of your package are perfect working on a guid partition flash disk installer.

Thanks.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts

Prior to installing the support package you are supposed to have a single disk formatted with GUID partition map, with Clover r2771+ installed on ESP according to screenshot posted. The rest doesn't matter.

You are welcome.

styrian

styrian

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Hello!

Thanks for clarifying. I have got it. I am a bit a newbie on Clover and make mistakes. But they are getting lesser by time.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts

Fixed AGPM, added clock speed sensor to GPUSensors chipset 0xac:

eb29f6e6b7.png

Package updated, link is the same.. 

CPU temp dropped by 3C, GPU temp dropped by 4C (common heatsink explains it) while idleing. 

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

I tested your package and recommend it for all users, since it has better resources and results than the installation guide for Yosemite on the 1201N I was writing. Downloading DP4 now. Wish me luck.

All the best!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

P.S.: DP4 installed: works fine, just as the previous version.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts
That what it was targeted for. Thanks for giving it a go.

Good to know, I was a little greedy when sizing my partition, so now I have no space to install the update ... oh well, not that I'm dead curious or anything.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts

Yosemite shares same kind of bug as Mavericks where after sleep cycle GPU will not drop clock speed from G0 to G3 when idleing.. so it ends up being hotter than it should and caused CPU to heat up.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

You mean, hotter after waking up?

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts
Yes, exactly.

mondial

mondial

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Hi Timewalker,

for me, new to clover and your 1201 package, have a question:

First I prepared an usbstick, then installed MAV by command line and installed clover with all your option to that stick

Now: without your package installed, I can't boot anything.

But I can not select any destination volume, only my MACs SSD. So how to change it ....???

Or is that package for the post-installation on the 1201 ?

I've no idea 

without the stick I have a destination selection (only SSD, when inserting USB : it is not possible to install Support pkg to USB !)

so maybe the USB installation is bad ...?

thx Mondi

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts

Yosemite shares same kind of bug as Mavericks where after sleep cycle GPU will not drop clock speed from G0 to G3 when idleing.. so it ends up being hotter than it should and caused CPU to heat up.

The screen is still dimming when the computer is left alone for a while, a minute or so before auto sleeping. That happens both before or after the first sleep/wake, so I thought it indicated AGPM was working even after waking, but it was, of course, a bold assumption of mine.

You should try Yosemite: it runs faster than you would expect with that recent an iteration. It would be out in a couple of months, and perhaps it's good to be a step ahead. :)

All the best!

Hi Timewalker,

for me, new to clover and your 1201 package, have a question:

First I prepared an usbstick, then installed MAV by command line and installed clover with all your option to that stick

Now: without your package installed, I can't boot anything.

But I can not select any destination volume, only my MACs SSD. So how to change it ....???

Or is that package for the post-installation on the 1201 ?

I've no idea 

without the stick I have a destination selection (only SSD, when inserting USB : it is not possible to install Support pkg to USB !)

so maybe the USB installation is bad ...?

thx Mondi

Did you try using IDE instead of AHCI? Are you using the latest (modded) BIOS?

P.S.: i must add: you guys will have some difficulties adapting to Clover, but TimeWalker75a contribution is a huge step ahead for all 1201N OSX86 users, not only because of the new installation/updates paradigm (a more vanilla approach, in itself a great accomplishment) but specially the performance enhancements: now we have monitor dimming, just like a MacBook, full hotkeys support, audio after waking from sleep, lower temps (better CPU and GPU performance) and improvements under the hood (e.g.: now I can easily use the virtual keyboard with Logic Pro X without with crashing reporting wrong audio/MIDI sync).

Give it a go. There's much life in our tiny machines yet!

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,149 posts
By the way, you can reinstall the package multiple times. It backs up your config and ACPI tables from ESP. It also does a backup of SLE kexts. The Backup folder is created on your desktop. If you had serial numbers in your config they will be retained. If you hadn't a valid Air2.1 number will be automatically generated and put in config for you. This is done so that you could install next iteration of package over.

@Mondi
You need to have it in your 1201N. The installer is smart in detecting what HDD you are booting from, but if you are not seeing your disk in Clover you have either installed the Clover itself improperly or haven't followed directions about AHCI.

@theconnactic I've managed to update to DP4 in the end. It still feels sluggish even when you open a stack full of files or just edit a plist with xcode... Also, real macbook Air model B (Air2,1 basically) doesn't dim. Brightness is adjusted in steps on it too. So in that sense 1201 turned out better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy