DVD tray opens at boot and how to move User account to a secondary NTFS HDD

sonnhy

5 posts in this topic

Followed this guide for installing..

[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Mavericks!) - Tutorials (The Genius Bar) - InsanelyMac Forum

Two question: 

1) How can i move Download, Pictures, Video, etc (all user folder i mean) to a NTFS HDD, that I also use on Windows to store this things?

2) The DVD tray always open when i boot Mac OS, what's the problem? Also, when i click on "close tray" on the topbar it doesn't work, I have to close it manually..

Oh gosh.. So, how can i keep both windows and Mac OS X user file update/syncronized? I was thinking I could make a partiotion to my Data HDD, but then I'd can't read it on Windows, which is no sense, because I do want Windows to read those files..

Also, as far as i know, there're no partion type that Mac OS and Windows both support..

It doesn't support it natively, but there's a way to read NTFS, am I right?

exFAT works great for a shared partition. Avoid FAT32, it's from the stone age.

The best way to share files between OS is over a LAN, that way file systems don't matter.

NTFS write support can be enabled in OS X but I don't recommend it. Microsoft has never released the full specs of the NTFS filesystem, which means that 3rd party implementations of it can never be trusted.

Your DVD drive bug is really funny, check for a firmware update.

If you speak about MOVING your user files (i.e. like you would do in Windows moving My Pictures, My Music etc. folders to a different partition/disk), then it is possible but it (the target disk/partition) HAS to be HFS+ partition AFAIK.

If you speak about storing your date (without moving the actual folders from /Users directory) that it would be available (read only) by both OSs, that's another story. Windows can read (not write) HFS+ partitions WITH BOOTCAMP HFS+ driver installed (the driver is officially provided by Apple for Macs with Windows installed). OS X can also READ (again not write) NTFS. So for example then working in Windows, you can still access the date stored on OS X partition (and vice versa).

Now if you want to be able to BOTH READ AND WRITE to such a partition (from both OSs), then as GV recommends, use exFat. Since both Windows and OS X support this file system (read/write). Or use LAN attached drive/storage (be it Time Capsule or NAS).

• Like 1