Asus Z9PE-WS D8 Mavericks working 10.9.1

remote.syst3m

63 posts in this topic

After some extremely easy steps, as usual...  I've got 10.9.1 working without the use of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Only FakeSMC.kext and latest Chameleon Bootloader. I installed to my SSD externally(usb3) a copy of Mavericks using my MacbookPro. Updated it to 10.9.1, then installed the necessary components with Pandora.

org.chameleon.boot.plist includes:

Graphics == NO

Ethernet Built IN = Yes

KernelFlags \\=    dart=0 darkwake=0 npci=0x3000 -v

MacPro 5,1 Plist (for now)

Further testing will show more functionality. This setup is my backup system, Dual 2680 2.7ghz 16core w/ 32Gb RAM non-liquid cooled, and GTX 680 4GB.

Ethernet working with Intel E1000 .kext from Pandora

USB3 working with Zenith GenericUSBXHCI from Pandora (Only after updating Asmedia Firmware in Windows first!!!!!!) << (I did this a year ago)

Atto H680 + 380 working, (Why wouldnt it work... :) ) SAS Raid and LTO 6 work great.

Decklink Card works, as usual.

Davinci and ColorFront work just fine.  In Colorfront, GTX 680 renders to ProRes HQ from SonyF65 raw at 32fps. And Renders Arriraw at 47fps to ProResHQ. On 10.8.4 it was around 27fps and 41fps. I'm interested to know what performance my Titan will have, As it was around 36fps in 10.8.4. I'll test that on Monday when I get back to Canada.

I'm curious too, I'm actually running the same board as you guys... to get it booting properly I have to use three kexts (that are patched/rollback, altho I don't know where or what) : AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext.

Without those the machine boots but I get a blackscreen (aka video not initialized properly). Could you be more specific on which settings/kexts you are using ? And also model and brand of your GTX680 and Titan ?

Thank you,

A.

Sunset I was asking all this to "remote.syst3m", since he seems to be running his system pretty much vanilla which is the best solution IMHO.

I'm not on my workstation right now, will post the files later on if you want. Yes I'm running Mavericks 10.9.1... but the installation procedure isn't that easy. You must have a real mac to install previously Mavericks, update it to 10.9.1, then install Chameleon and kexts since I was unable to boot the installer with any of the install methods.

You must know altho there won't be any PM, Speedstep or Turbo at the moment... I know Rampagedev is investigating the matter, but that means it will run slower and less efficiently than under windows. When I run geekbench on both configs the gap is pretty big (more than 10k difference).

A.

When you say vanilla did you turn off or change anything with speed stepping on the mother board? I have got it to boot, no video card though. only VGA. Would you mind walking me through your process on 10.9.1.I have another mac and every tool I could need to make that happen. 

Also, what video card are you running?

So I've been running with very minimal kexts... I'm running BIOS version 3109 and another setup on 3206. Here's a quick overview, I'll create a more detailed one when I can tinker with it more. I have to use my Z9PE system at work on 10.8.4.... I would love to switch permanently to 10.9.1 though. BIOS settings did not change between ML and Mav.

Chameleon from Pandora 1.34

FakeSMC

Generic XHCI (zenith)

Intel1000e.

6,1 smbios

Boot flags = npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 dart=0 -v

Ethernet BuiltIn Yes

Graphics Enabler = No

BIOS Settings: ( I will create a guide for the BIOS settings, probably the trickiest part)

In short: System will boot with following:

CPU Settings for High Performance, Power settings set to MAX ie(Performance).

Multiplier set to CPU Multiplier (In my case x27 for 2680).

RAM Forced to 1600mhz,

Sata set to boot (obviously).

I have EVGA 4GB 680 and EVGA TITAN 6GB

remote :

Thank you for your reply, from 3109 and up (I've tested different bios versions) things haven't changed that much, I'm running latest bios version at the moment. Guess the two factors here allowing to boot almost clean are : Bios settings and GPU brand/model.

Bios settings are the tricky because the board has a {censored}load of options to tool with. The GPU one is the more annoying one, since this board is a real {censored} with GPUs, depending on the board and it's manufacturer the output might work or might not. Thanks for the brands of the GPUs... I'm stuck with a GTX 680 DirectCU II from ASUS at the moment.

Will be eagerly awaiting for your BIOS guide, since I tried 10.9.2 beta with MacPro 6,1 SMBIOS but it's not booting due to the modified kexts I'm currently using and are producing kernel panics.

Thanks,

A.

when you say chamelon from pandora, are you using enoch? Thanks for your notes. I am getting close on 10.9...

But with 10.8 curious what settings your putting for.

Chameleon from Pandora 1.34

FakeSMC

Generic XHCI (zenith)

Intel1000e.

6,1 smbios don't see this listed in pandora installer

Boot flags = npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 dart=0 -v

Ethernet BuiltIn Yes

Graphics Enabler = No

Or are you doing this with chamelon wizard?

Yes Enoch, But I've setup 1/2 a dozen times already and have used the Chameleon 2.2 installer also, really didnt seem to make much difference.

Almost done with Bios guide I need to reboot 1 more time to look at something. i just went top to bottom on all settings. NOTE:  I've disabled almost all PM because I'm on 10.8.4. It will change as I'm going through them one by one for 10.9.1 to enable Turbo Boost and legitimate Power Management. I'll get to that one in Mid Feb when I'm back in LA with updated BIOS 5xxx

remote :

PM even if it's not working yet is detected natively with latest bios under 10.9.1 and up, no need of NullCPU kext anymore, even the CPU is detected properly. Turbo and Speedstep aren't working either (even if they are activated), but it's mainly due to the build we are running. LGA2011 Xeons are supported and merged starting from 10.9.2 which is still in beta at the moment. Are you using a DSDT ?

Even running the beta, doesn't get us PM/Speedstep/Turbo working yet... quite some hacking is needed. I know some people is working hard on it to get it working. For me at the moment it's key to get rid of those patched kexts to be as vanilla as possible. That will bring more stability and will get rid of some peculiar hiccups I'm having at the moment.

Will compare your bios settings with mine then test the thing. Thank you for the help... nice case you have (super micro), how silent is it ?

Also on another subject, how often do you have to clean your liquid cooling rig ?

I found how to set the 6.1 smcbios I believe but would love to see how you did it. I install with pandora then do everything with chameleon wizard? When using your settings I get backtrace in AppleIntelCPUPowermangement during boot.

This is with a 10.8.5 system. Do I need 10.8.4?

I did set 6,1 in Chameleon Wizard. I'm not using NullCPUPM on 10.9 or 10.9.1. Only need it on 10.8.4, So I keep everything disabled because I have to go back and forth. Omni has TurboBoost working, I want to start testing these configs.

Here is my BIOS Settings list, anything not listed is either user preference , unnecessary or menu has no options.

BIOS VERSION 3109 / 3206 x64 Z9PE WS D8

"Ai Tweaker"

Ai Tuner = Auto
CPU Ratio = 27

CPU CONFIGURATION ( Advanced ):

Hyper Threading = Enabled
Active Processor Cores = All
Limit CPUID Maximum = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Server Class = High Performance (HPC)
Inter Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Local APIC Mode = Auto

CPU POWER MANAGEMENT CONFIGURATION ( Advanced ):

Power Technology = Disabled
Energy Performance = Performance
Long Duration Power Limit = 0
Long Duration Maintained = 0
Short Duration Power = 0

:::CHIPSET CONFIGURATION:::

QPI CONFIGURATION (Advanced - Chipset Config ):

Isoc = Enabled
QPI Link Speed Mode = Fast
QPI LinkFrequency Select = Auto
QPI Link 0s = Disabled
QPI Link 0p = Disabled
QPI Link1 = Enabled

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Memory Configuration (Advanced - Chipset Config):

Compatibility RID = Enabled
Memory Mode = Independant
NUMA = Disabled
DDR Speed = Force 1600mhz
Channel Interleave = Atuo
Rank Interleave = Auto
Patrol Scrub = disabled
Demand Scrub = Enabled
Data scrambling = Enabled
Device Tagging = Disabled
Thermal Throttling =CLTT
EnableHigh Temp. = Disabled
Allow 2x Refresh = Enabled

CPU IIO BRIDGE CONFIGURATION (Advanced - Chipset Config):

Intel I/OAT = Disabled
DCA Support = Enabled
VGA Priority = OffBoard

PCH CONFIGURATION    (Advanced - Chipset Config):

PCH Compatibility RID = Disabled
Deep Sx = Disabled
SCU Devices = Enabled
ONboard Sata RAID Oprom = Enabled
Azalia HDAudio = Disabled
High PrecisionTimer = Enabled

Intel® VT FOR DIRECTED I/O CONFIGURATION (Advanced - Chipset Config):

Intel VT-d = Enabled
Coherency Support = Disabled
ATS Support = Disabled

PCH SATA CONFIGURATION:

Sata Mode = AHCI Mode
SMART Status = Enabled
Aggressive Link Power Management = Disabled
Staggered Spinup = ALL DISABLED

PCI SUB SYSTEM SETTINGS:

PCI Latency Timer = 32 PCI clocks
VGA Palette Snoop = Disabled
PERR# Generation = Disabled
GERR# Generation = Disabled
Load RT32 Image = Disabled

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PCI EXPRESS SETTINGS   (Advanced - PCI SubSystem Settings):

Launch Storage OpROM = Disabled

USB CONFIGURATION :

Legacy USB Support = Enabled
USB 3.0 Support = Enabled
XHCI Hand-Off = Enabled
EHCI Hand-Off = Disabled
Port 60/64 Emulation = Enabled
USB Transfer Timeout = 20 sec
Device Reset timeout = 20 sec

ACPI SETTINGS:

Enable ACPI Auto Config = Enabled

ONBOARD LAN CONFIGURATION:

Intel W82574L OpROM1 = Disable
Intel W82574L OpROM2 = Disable

MARVELL SATA CONFIGURATION:

Marvell Storage Controller = Enabled
Marvell Storage OpROM = Enabled

ONBOARD DEVICES CONFIGURATION:

VIA 1394 Controller = Disabled
Asmedia 3.0 Controller = Enabled
Asmedia USB 3.0 Battery Charging = Enabled

BOOT CONFIGURATION:

Full screen = Disabled
Fast Boot = Enable
Skip VGA = Disable
Skip USB = Disable
Skip PS2 = Enable
Post Report = 7 sec
GateA20 Active = Upon Request
Option ROM Messages = Force BIOS
INT19 TRAP Response = Immediate
Boot Device Seeking = Normal
UEFI Boot = Disabled
Boot Option = Sata 1
Network Drive BBS Priorities = Disable for Intel PXE

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CSM Parameters  ( Boot Configuration):

Launch CSM = Always
Boot Option filter = UEFI and Legacy
Launch PXE OpROM policy = Do not Launch
Launch Storage OpROM policy = Do not Launch
Launch Video OpROM policy = Legacy Only
Other PCI device ROM priority = Legacy OpROM

I've just been using the RIght port, and using Intel 1000e driver. Not really any issues. Occasionally I notice some similar things on the other port, But doesnt seem to be in Windows or linux.

I dont overclock, In the past I've tried raising the BLCK but usually crashes and forces a CMOS reset after raising it a few points.

@Arkanis:

I only drain the setup 1-2 times per year. I put Quick release valves on my GPU to quickly pull it when needed. I also Liquid cooled my Raid card Atto R6F0.

I also changed the PSU in the 744T case to a atx PSU, 1600 LEPA. It barely fit, but I'm extremely silent under full CPU/GPU load. Fans are around 20% and Temps are between 40-55C for GPU and CPU's depending on Load.

No matter what I do I can't get an nvidia or ATI card to work with this board. I have been able to boot with nvidia card using -X. I get black screens, pci config being or white screen with ATI. frustrated. I have tried every combination listed here and on the t ony x 86 site.