50 posts in this topic

Hey guys, for the past couple of days I've been trying to install Mavericks on my custom rig. I've been able to succsessfully run Mountain Lion in VirtualBox, that's as close as I've come to  an install. I have a myHack USB made from my VM, and now I'm trying to install from the USB. 

Here are my detailed specifications:

-Intel Core i7 4960x cpu

-3 GTX 780 GPUs

-64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

-Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard

-512GB Plextor M5Pro SSD

-2 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDDs

I am able to start the boot process from the USB, but when I start to boot the OS itself (even when numerous boot flags), I put the system into verbose boot and it tells me it's reading HFS+ files and then it black screens, I need help and I can't figure out what the problem is...

Boot flags I've tried:

-v

-f

-npci 0x2000 and npci 0x3000

-GraphicsEnabler=Yes/GraphicsEnabler=No

-x

-PCIRootUID=0/PCIRootUID=1

Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, for the past couple of days I've been trying to install Mavericks on my custom rig. I've been able to succsessfully run Mountain Lion in VirtualBox, that's as close as I've come to  an install. I have a myHack USB made from my VM, and now I'm trying to install from the USB. 

Here are my detailed specifications:

-Intel Core i7 4960x cpu

-3 GTX 780 GPUs

-64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

-Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard

-512GB Plextor M5Pro SSD

-2 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDDs

I am able to start the boot process from the USB, but when I start to boot the OS itself (even when numerous boot flags), I put the system into verbose boot and it tells me it's reading HFS+ files and then it black screens, I need help and I can't figure out what the problem is...

Boot flags I've tried:

-v

-f

-npci 0x2000 and npci 0x3000

-GraphicsEnabler=Yes/GraphicsEnabler=No

-x

-PCIRootUID=0/PCIRootUID=1

Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

No doubt instant reboot due to locked 0xe2 MSR and PM now in the kernel (XCPM).  It has come to my attention that this is an X79/IvyE system, not Haswell, so this cannot be correct.  If the OP had provided it was X79, I probably would not have responded, as I have no experience with the X79 chipset.  It was my intention to help, not lead astray.

See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

• Like 1

Hmmm the computer itself doesn't seem to reboot but I will definitely have to look into this, reading the post you linked now...

How do I install the kernel? Do I replace the mach_kernel file on the USB stick? Or do I install it on the stick with the Pandora utility?

Or rather I should say how do I install your kernel patches? Still new to this...

Hmmm the computer itself doesn't seem to reboot but I will definitely have to look into this, reading the post you linked now...

How do I install the kernel? Do I replace the mach_kernel file on the USB stick? Or do I install it on the stick with the Pandora utility?

Sometimes the reboot doesn't work and you get just a black screen hang... Depends on the computer.

Replace the mach_kernel on the USB and on the final install on HDD.

• Like 1

Thanks RehabMan! Will have to try this! I think I have to recreate my VM again because it stops booting sometimes... Where is the kernel location on the hard drive? Is there any boot flags I need to use in order to boot the system?

Where is the kernel file located on the destination drive (HDD/SSD)?

Thanks RehabMan! Will have to try this! I think I have to recreate my VM again because it stops booting sometimes... Where is the kernel location on the hard drive? Is there any boot flags I need to use in order to boot the system?

Where is the kernel file located on the destination drive (HDD/SSD)?

mach_kernel is always located in the root of the volume. eg... /mach_kernel

• Like 1

RehabMan, Haswell and IBE are two different architectures... But i'm hoping this solves my problem.

And if this is an X79 board... problematic and not supported very well.

Got Paragon HFS+ installed on Windows, just copied your kernel over with it! Gonna reboot and see if this works!

Same black screen with your kernel..... this is frustrating.

Then it is some other problem... X79 boards are a PITA due to OS X lacking direct support for them. Probably improved in a future version of OS X due to the new MacPro.

No doubt instant reboot due to locked 0xe2 MSR and PM now in the kernel (XCPM).

See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

Wrong

And if this is an X79 board... problematic and not supported very well.

Wrong and really? Been supporting all LGA 2011 boards for 2 years.  There is no issues with LGA 2011 systems and has been supported since SL. 

The current Kernel does not support the new CPUS however as of 10.9.2 Apple has a unified kernel (New Mac Pro shipped with its own special build of 10.9). In the interim you need to install a modded kernel which adds support for the new Generation and again install it on the HDD/SSD you installed Mac on before first boot. 

Here is my install guide:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/os-x-10-8-mountain-lion/

Here is the Asus LGA 2011 support page:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/dsdt-downloads/asus-x79/

And RehabMan if you are going to give someone the run around and mislead them then don't bother posting. 

• Like 1

And RehabMan if you are going to give someone the run around and mislead them then don't bother posting.

Get off your high horse. I was just trying to help and saw the kernel instant reboot/black screen typical of Haswell machines (incorrectly read the i7-4xxx as Haswell). Everyone has the right to suggest things to try and no one is perfect... probably not even you.

But x79 boards are problematic. Difficulty with sleep/power management etc. It should improve with future OS X versions... Although I don't own one of these boards and will probably not ever buy one.

Happy New Year, BTW... Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Hey RampageDev:

Your guide is what I used originally, and... It didn't work for me but I'll try the boot flags you listed again...

RampageDev,

What nodded kernel do I use?

The modded kernel is on the DMG under Files/Tools

I think the problem here may be the three GTX 780 GPUs.

Some ideas

Always use GraphicsEnabler=no - GTX 780 (and other Kepler cards) doesn't need it, GraphicsEnabler=yes can make matters worse.

Try unplugging two of them, or boot with -x (safe mode, video drivers don't load).

Or you can try unplugging all three and use the on-die video (if your CPU has that, couldn't be bothered to look it up) temporarily until you have OS X up and running.

SLI is not supported in OS X. Not sure if removing SLI cables helps anything.

It's possible that OS X has its main display going to an output you aren't using. Usually, a DVI port closest to the motherboard will be the primary output, or the same display that currently shows your PC BIOS.

It'll be easier to unplug them than trying a million other things in vain only to find out once you're at your wit's end that it was the three GPUs all along.

When troubleshooting something that you have no clue how to troubleshoot, it's always a good idea to narrow things down and start with eliminating possible factors.

• Like 1

RampageDev,

I remade the myHack USB and included your kernel, this time it booted but is at a white screen on all monitors I am assuming I have to unplug the other 2 GPUs, I'm going to try that.

Do I have to completely remove the cards since PCI still gives them power if I just disconnect them?

Gringo, do I have to remove the cards or just simply unplug them?

You must pull them out. Make sure the one you leave in is in the correct PCI-E slot for a single video card configuration. You can look it up in your motherboard manual. If you don't have it, get a pdf copy from the manufacturer's website.

If you just unplug them from the PSU they will still be half-powered by the PCI-E slots, which will just make everything worse :)