• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

mpalomba3

mpalomba3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Hi everyone, I went through the tedious process of trying to install Mavericks on my XPS 410 and now I would like to make a guide for anyone looking to install Mavericks on their XPS 410.

Your going to need a few things to do this

Files:

MyHack by Conti

Extra folder from insanelymac user Kvonlinee

Bios Downgrade file

These files are available for download at link http://adf.ly/bQNBZ

Supplies:

Dell XPS 410 (of course)

8GB Flash Drive

Something to make the installer flash drive on (10.6.8 or higher, can be a real mac or a hackintosh)

Mac Appstore purchased Mavericks

So now for the guide

First you need to boot to your windows partition and downgrade your bios with the bios downgrade file I have included. 

Next you  need to create your installer flash driver using my hack. Select create installer, then 10.9 installer. It should autodetect your Mavericks installation file if it doesn't click browse for it manually and select the Mavericks install.app. Once you have made the installer flash drive go back into my hack and select install extra folder. Choose install generic. Once you have installed the generic extra folder go into your my hack Flash drive and navigate to extra/extensions. And any files found in the extra folder that I included that are not already in the extra folder do not overwrite any files that are currently in the extra folder. Then you need to delete several kexts from the system/Library/extensions folder of your my hack flash drive. Here are the the kexts you need to delete, there are a lot so it may take some time.  /System/Library/Extensions/AMD2400Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD2600Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD3800Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD4600Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD4800Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD5000Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD6000Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMDFramebuffer.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AMDSupport.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50HalTesla.kext /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanTesla.kext

stem/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50HalTesla.kext /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanTesla.kext

em/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle

After you delete all of those kexts run my fix for the my hack installer and you are finished making your installer flash drive.

Now go to your computer, enter the bios setup, And set the SATA Operation to Raid Autodetect/ATA. 

Plug your my hack flash drive into you PC and boot from it.

In chameleon use the boot flags -v, -x, -f, GraphicsEnabler=No

Your installer should boot and your drives should be shown.

Format your hard drive by opening disk utility, clicking your drive, going to partition, choosing 1 partition formatted using mac osx extended (journaled) and a GUID partition table.

Once you have soon that, start the installation. 

After the installation you will NOT be able to boot into Mac OSX. You need to add more files to the hard drive. You will need to plug your hard drive into another PC to access the files on it. If you plug it into a windows PC, you will need software such as MacDrive to access it. You need to navigate to the extra/extensions folder of you HDD and add these files to the extra folder again. 

AppleACPIP2NUB.kext, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, ApplePS2Contorller.kext, Disabler.kext, FakeSMC.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, Ispcidrv.kext, NullCPUPowerManagment.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext, and PlatformUUID.kext. 

If any are already there DO NOT overwrite them.

After you finish adding those kexts, put your HDD back into the XPS and boot up the installer again. Go to your drive in dish utility and repair permissions. Then shut down, boot from the usb stick but this time boot up you HDD instead of the installer. Use the boot flags -v -f and GraphicsEnabler=No. Your mavericks install should now boot. Now install the latest chameleon. You can edit you org.Chameleon.boot.plist so you do not  have to enter your boot flags every time you boot. You can also change the timeout and several other chameleon settings.

I recommend you buy a usb audio dongle (I am using one) because there is currently no working kext for the audio in this PC and voodoohda.kext causes a kernel panic. 

If you have any problems please post them here because if you have a problem someone else probably has the same problem. Also for an immediate response google in your friend. I figured out how to get this up and running with help from several member on this site and google.

Once your hack is up and running you can update your bios back to the latest version if you choose.

You will need to buy a video card compatible with mac osx (the Nvidia 7300LE is not) I recommend the Nvidia Galaxy Geforce GT430. It's a very good card and it is not very expensive. You can find it here: http://adf.ly/bQRsw

Other then that all stock installed dell hardware should work fine. I do recommend a processor upgrade to the Core 2 Quad Q6700 and a ram upgrade (up to 8GB) these upgrades are not necessary but it will make your hack faster, the stock installed processor does fine but if you are going to do a lot of heavy editing and game playing you will want to upgrade those two things.

This PC runs OSX very well and you will be very pleased with its performance. 

You can find the Q6700 processor here you can find it for A LOT less money on ebay http://adf.ly/bQS3N

Good Luck Post here if it worked for you!

Attached Files

mpalomba3

mpalomba3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Has anyone had Success with this guide? It should work

slave-zeo

slave-zeo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Dang it. I dusted off my XPS 410 and gave it away to a friend because I couldn't get anything above 10.7 working on it. Oh well, thanks for the guide. Sorry I couldn't test it out.

patwoods

patwoods

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Why downgrade the BIOS?  I don't have windows installed and am not sure how I will do that step.  I have Lion running pretty well but would love to get Mavericks up and running, thanks!

mpalomba3

mpalomba3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Why downgrade the BIOS? I don't have windows installed and am not sure how I will do that step. I have Lion running pretty well but would love to get Mavericks up and running, thanks!

Some people claimed they could not find any drives until they downgraded the bios. You can attempt without it but you might not see the drives.

patwoods

patwoods

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

This got me as far as the installer and into the installation for about 10 minutes... followed it verbatim, thanks!

However, the installer then it ended with an error about Essentials.pkg, any thoughts there?  I am going to try to reinstall and see if it picks up where it left off.

mpalomba3

mpalomba3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have no clue what that is. When I installed I never ran into any problems... did you try a Google search? Maybe it is a common issue and someone else has come up with a way to fix it

patwoods

patwoods

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Got it to install - had to recreate the installer on another USB drive, however rebooting with all the extensions in the folder gets almost to the desktop then a reboot loop.  I have a GeForce 610 and I think it requires the Nvidia drivers but I removed all the other ATI and GeForce drivers, still no luck.

Dern it.  The installer works great.  Just can't boot the finished install.

mpalomba3

mpalomba3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Not sure what your problem is I installed using the stock installed Dell video card and then later installed my video card and drivers, if you still have the Dell one I advise you tried with that and install the correct drivers for your video card once you get to the desktop

patwoods

patwoods

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Oddness.  I can get it booted up if:  

a) I only boot off the installer version of Chameleon, even if I update the version on the hard drive

B) boot in safe mode

Of course video is not accelerated and isn't very usable.  I'll try installing the official GeForce drivers and see if that works.  I think I need to enable some, but not all of them maybe...

mpalomba3

mpalomba3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Not sure what your problem is. I'm not every experience in the word of hackintosihng. Maybe something went wrong. I would try another fresh install

kvonlinee

kvonlinee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Oddness.  I can get it booted up if:  

a) I only boot off the installer version of Chameleon, even if I update the version on the hard drive

B) boot in safe mode

Of course video is not accelerated and isn't very usable.  I'll try installing the official GeForce drivers and see if that works.  I think I need to enable some, but not all of them maybe...

I have the same graphics card gt 610, finally I have everything work. I have a update on my post

follow the link.  http://www.insanelym...-109/?p=1912241

when you boot the machine, at the chameleon enter -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No

the GT 610 work like that.  I have the full acceleration. 

ipodman999

ipodman999

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

i am unable to downgrade bios to 1.0.3 a error in windows 7

mpalomba3

mpalomba3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

i am unable to downgrade bios to 1.0.3 a error in windows 7

Right click the downgrade file and click "Run as administrator" If it doesn't work  just attempt the install out downgrading the bios, I just did it yesterday because I wanted to upgrade to 10.9.3 and it worked without a hitch and that's with the most recent bios so maybe the bios downgrade is unnecessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy