60Hz 4K on Mavericks with GTX 760? [UPDATE: 10.9.3 works [UPDATED UPDATE: maybe]]

Ricky Romero

171 posts in this topic

I can see that the display is connected in the Displays Preferences, and I can pick other resolutions (at my peril), but I can't adjust the refresh rate, nor can I see what refresh rate it's trying to send to the display.  It's acting like a built-in display from a MacBook Pro or iMac in that respect; they don't expose refresh rate options either.

(Frustrated) Hackintosh + GTX 780 + Dell UP2414Q here.

I don't know if this will get you any further along, but there is a way to adjust refresh rates:

If you OPTION-CLICK the Scaled radio button (such wonderful adherence to interface guidelines), the pref panel will start showing additional choices.

kSLcxrH.jpg

If you then select the "Show low resolution modes" checkbox, you should get a "Refresh Rate" popup.

(It may start out grayed and disabled, but if you click another mode, such as 3840x2160, then click back to the hidpi 1920x1080 mode, the popup should enable.)

This would also be a way of using another monitor (via the Displays preference's Gather Windows) to get a UP2414Q that had started up black (30.3 Hz) onto its valid rate.

Now to get a 60 Hertz option into this popup... 

I'm really looking forward to upgrade my old 24" screen with lovely retina beauty on my hack, but this 30Hz issue is making me to nervous to buy one right now. 

Has anyone got the Samsung U28D590D or the ASUS PB287Q and first hand experience with this two monitors? I read somewhere the Samsung should run @60Hz, as it's not using Multi-Stream Transport to drive the display, but what about Asus? I would prefer the Asus because of its VESA mounting option.

If you OPTION-CLICK the Scaled radio button (such wonderful adherence to interface guidelines), the pref panel will start showing additional choices.

[snip]

If you then select the "Show low resolution modes" checkbox, you should get a "Refresh Rate" popup.

Sadly, doesn't work for me in 10.9.3.

I tried messing with EDIDs but I'm inept with SwitchResX.  However, it did show me that the machine is detecting the refresh rate for 59.997 Hz.  Changing it to 60 Hz predictably borked the video on both displays.

Right now I'm going to reboot and try different combinations of cables.  Not optimistic at this point!

After much rebooting and experimentation, here is what I've figured out using a clean 10.9.3 install.

• DisplayPort in and of itself isn't the problem. I can turn off DP 1.2 and get a signal on the UP2414Q, and I can also use DisplayPort with my U2711 (I normally use DVI).
  • When DP 1.2 is off, I can use both monitors side-by-side in 10.9.3 (with the UP2414Q running at 30Hz). This is probably what I'll end up doing for the time being.
  • Refresh rate options are not presented for the UP2414Q in 10.9.3 and DP 1.2, and the only available option when using DP 1.1a is 30Hz, even under lower resolutions.  The latter is presumably because all the resolutions listed in the Display Preferences are virtual and the actual signal going to the monitor is always native resolution.
  • Display Maestro can set higher refresh rates under DP 1.1a as it's not dealing with virtual resolutions, but no refresh rate options are presented under DP 1.2.
  • Swapping a full-size DisplayPort cable to a mini DisplayPort cable doesn't help.
  • Changing the SMBIOS to MacBookPro11,2 (2013 Retina MBP) doesn't help.
  • Leaving my SMBIOS on MacPro6,1 (2013 Mac Pro) doesn't help.

This brings me to the conclusion that something in either the DisplayPort 1.2 communication or the MST support is broken with my specific system.  Perhaps the EDID is not being sent correctly over DP 1.2.  Maybe other 4K monitors work, though I wouldn't use a different one unless it had a similar pixel density.

I'll give this another go when the next OS X release hits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Ricky Romero, thank you for your info!

I am now running the final 10.9.3+UP2414Q with DP1.2=off and I can get 30Hz and multiple resolutions!

I wonder if the UP2414Q will ever work at 60Hz (does it on a real MacPro6,1?), looking forward to try with the Yosemite beta.

Cheers!

@Ricky Romero, thank you for your info!

I am now running the final 10.9.3+UP2414Q with DP1.2=off and I can get 30Hz and multiple resolutions!

I wonder if the UP2414Q will ever work at 60Hz (does it on a real MacPro6,1?), looking forward to try with the Yosemite beta.

Cheers!

Yes, before I returned my legit 2013 Mac Pro, I was running 10.9.3 with full 60Hz and a Dell UP2414Q.  Support for the Dell was part of the excitement around 10.9.3.  I emailed Nvidia about this and they gave me the run around because I am using the Web Drivers for a Titan Black which isn't on their supported cards list.  It's def driver related tho.

Currently, the Dell can run at 60Hz on Hackintosh with AMD cards (Tahiti XT etc... R9 280X, HD 7970 etc..) and a 6,1 SMBios.  No Nvidia cards can currently run the UP2414Q at 60Hz. 

• Like 1

FYI, an ASUS PB287Q works on my Hackintosh with GTX 780 at 60 Hz, I just got it this morning. Apparently it doesn't need the MST shenanigans to get 60 Hz support.

Here's the relevant output from System Info:

ASUS PB287Q:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Television: Yes

Its larger 31.5" sibling as well as the 24" Dell I will take to work to use with a 2013 Mac Pro.

Edit for clarity: The display is run at 2560x1440 HiDPI (which unfortunately does not show in System Info).

Yes, before I returned my legit 2013 Mac Pro, I was running 10.9.3 with full 60Hz and a Dell UP2414Q.  Support for the Dell was part of the excitement around 10.9.3.  I emailed Nvidia about this and they gave me the run around because I am using the Web Drivers for a Titan Black which isn't on their supported cards list.  It's def driver related tho.

Currently, the Dell can run at 60Hz on Hackintosh with AMD cards (Tahiti XT etc... R9 280X, HD 7970 etc..) and a 6,1 SMBios.  No Nvidia cards can currently run the UP2414Q at 60Hz. 

I may get the 280X and sell my GTX760 then! Thanks!

FYI, an ASUS PB287Q works on my Hackintosh with GTX 780 at 60 Hz, I just got it this morning. Apparently it doesn't need the MST shenanigans to get 60 Hz support.

Here's the relevant output from System Info:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz

Its larger 31.5" sibling as well as the 24" Dell I will take to work to use with a 2013 Mac Pro.

Are you scaling? Shouldn't the native resolution be 3,840 x 2,160 @ 60 Hz with Retina resolution at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz?

Are you scaling?

Yes, I'm running it at 2560x1440 HiDPI, which means the image is rendered at 5120x2880, and displayed at the display's native 3840x2160. Sadly the HiDPI part does not show up in System Information.

This is the resolution I'm using (note the image is from this article about the Samsung U28D590 and not my own machine).

osx-4k-preferences-10-9-3.png

Shouldn't the native resolution be 3,840 x 2,160 @ 60 Hz with Retina resolution at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz?

If your definition of "retina resolution" is "2x2 physical pixels for every logical pixel", then yes, it should.

Personally I think that while 1920x1080 HiDPI provides the sharpest possible image, stuff is way too large on a 28" display - let alone the 31.5" I was using before that.

I am now running the final 10.9.3+UP2414Q with DP1.2=ON and I can get 30Hz (nothing on 60Hz).

DP1.2 started working after I changed the definition to iMac14,2 (From MacPro 6,1). Now I don't need to keep switching the display DP when I use Windows.

• Like 1

I am now running the final 10.9.3+UP2414Q with DP1.2=ON and I can get 30Hz (nothing on 60Hz).

DP1.2 started working after I changed the definition to iMac14,2 (From MacPro 6,1). Now I don't need to keep switching the display DP when I use Windows.

Can you post a IOreg from both SMBIOS. Thanks. Perhaps we can address the issue with a simple SSDT table. 

For some reason I can only get 60Hz working if I boot from the USB pen drive EFI (attached) and then select my SSD disk in the Clover boot screen.

I have not been able to copy or set the EFI correctly on my SSD to boot without the USB.

Could you share your clover version (or an installer)?

'coz I can't get 60hz working with your EFI (780ti and UP2414Q owner here)

Could you share your clover version (or an installer)?

'coz I can't get 60hz working with your EFI (780ti and UP2414Q owner here)

I created the PenDrive with Clover v2k r2689 and Mavericks 10.9.3

I can only get 60Hz if I boot with the PenDrive EFI by selecting it with F12 when the computer boots, then I select the Maverick SSD disk with that EFI.

If I copy the EFI to disk I get a black screen unless I remove the nvidia injection. I will keep trying to make it work directly on the SSD later today.

I created the PenDrive with Clover v2k r2689 and Mavericks 10.9.3

I can only get 60Hz if I boot with the PenDrive EFI by selecting it with F12 when the computer boots, then I select the Maverick SSD disk with that EFI.

If I copy the EFI to disk I get a black screen unless I remove the nvidia injection. I will keep trying to make it work directly on the SSD later today.

I get a black screen too, if I keep nvidia injection turned on. Maybe some property injections can make 60hz working.

I get a black screen too, if I keep nvidia injection turned on. Maybe some property injections can make 60hz working.

I noticed that I can only boot at 60Hz if: I boot from USB with the EFI I shared and the Mavericks on the SSD has the EFI with MacPro6,1

What do you mean by "SSD has the EFI with MacPro6,1"? Do I miss something?

Sorry, it's very confusing, the circumstances to get the 60Hz are really weird.

For some reason I get 60Hz if I boot from a USB PenDrive with the Default Clover EFI (that plist does not have a SMBIOS and it defaults to iMac 12,2) and instead of booting the installation (on the PenDrive) I select my Mavericks SSD already installed on the Clover Screen.

Now, on the the Mavericks SSD already installed I also have Clovers with its own EFI and plist, that plist is MacPro6,1. I am not sure if it is a coincidence but with iMac 14,2 it did not work.

Do you guys now if that makes any sense? Would a second EFI/plist do something? I cannot just copy the USB EFI to Disk, that does not work, I need to run first the USB and then the SSD.