GTX780 rev. B problems

Soolbakken

22 posts in this topic

Hi. I finally built my first hackintosh, everything works perfect except preview, MS word, Quicktime and luxmark. 
I have read a lot about the problems with the GK110 chip (rev. B?) and openCL. I thought the problem was reserved to the rev. B, while rev. A should work fine, have I missed something? 

I have checked with cpu-z (windows) that it is true that I have a rev. A chip

My build
- Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
- Intel i7 4770K
- 32gb ram
- Sandisk ssd

Mavericks 10.9

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone!

I also just built my first Hackintosh. I'm using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti WindForce 3X OC and have the same problems:

• OpenCL apps crash on launch (I tried running LuxMark)
  • QuickLook can't display PNGs
  • Preview.app crashes when opening a PNG

In addition to the above I seem to have trouble with OpenGL too: StarCraft 2 crashes after playing for a few minutes. Everything works fine in Windows 8 however, including running a FurMark stress test for 15 minutes.

BTW according to this netkas thread GPU-Z apparently reports revision A1 no matter what card your have. The tell is actually the BIOS Version it reports:

• 80.10.* means Rev. A
  • 80.80.* means Rev. B

post-1275308-0-19426700-1388609084_thumb.gif

Everything is fine. I didn\t install any drivers, but it seems the card works much better than 295 GTX. I didn't try Adobe, but I haven't had any problems yet. The card is ZOTAC GeForce GTX 780 AMP! Edition. http://www.zotac.com/ru/products/graphics-cards/geforce-700-series/gtx-780/product/gtx-780/detail/geforce-gtx-780-amp-edition-2.html

Logic Pro X works fine!

wja1.png

@OP: Are you sure you have a rev A chip? GPU-Z apparently says Revision A1 no matter what. Apparently the BIOS Version will let you know if you have rev A or B (see my earlier post).

@Parkol: What's the GPU-Z BIOS Version for your card?

The problems with GK110 revision B chips seem to be well known. The most comprehensive thread I found so far is 10.9/10.8.5 nvidia opencl crash on 780 (GK110 Rev B) at Netkas.

Because of the problems (OpenCL and OpenGL crashes, Windowserver crashes, Preview.app doesn't display images, QuickLook doesn't work for images) I removed the 780 Ti from my Hack (for now) and am using a GTX 680 (used to be in my Mac Pro) instead.

@Parkol: What's the GPU-Z BIOS Version for your card?

80.10.3A.00.0C (P2083-0020), revision A. I tried to open PNG files and it works fine, no freeze or smth. Which programm should I try? I can try.

I did Luxmark

2egh.png

Happy new year everyone!

I also just built my first Hackintosh. I'm using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti WindForce 3X OC and have the same problems:

• OpenCL apps crash on launch (I tried running LuxMark)
  • QuickLook can't display PNGs
  • Preview.app crashes when opening a PNG

In addition to the above I seem to have trouble with OpenGL too: StarCraft 2 crashes after playing for a few minutes. Everything works fine in Windows 8 however, including running a FurMark stress test for 15 minutes.

BTW according to this netkas thread GPU-Z apparently reports revision A1 no matter what card your have. The tell is actually the BIOS Version it reports:

• 80.10.* means Rev. A
  • 80.80.* means Rev. B

I obviously have bios version 80.80 ...  :( Thanks for helping out! I really hope nvidia release an update soon.

@Parkol:

Good for you then, enjoy your card! :)

In that Netkas thread I linked someone found an issue with rev A cards as well, but it seems a lot less severe than the rev B issue.

I obviously have bios version 80.80 ...  :( Thanks for helping out! I really hope nvidia release an update soon.

Maybe you want to change the thread title to "rev B" then (if possible)? Wouldn't hurt to have a thread dedicated to this issue I think.

I'm hoping for an updated driver too, but that thread @ Netkas didn't get my hopes up. :(

Unfortunately, I can not change the thread title. Wonder if it is possible to use the built-in graphics on the motherboard along with gtx780 in a dual screen setup? 

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Only staff can change thread title. Done.

Wonder if it is possible to use the built-in graphics on the motherboard along with gtx780 in a dual screen setup? 

FWIW I had to disable the CPU's built-in graphics, otherwise the Hack wouldn't boot with the 780 Ti - the boot process stopped after a message like missing bluetooth controller transport. From what I read the video driver is supposed to load after that IIRC.

I haven't tried using the built-in graphics together with the GTX 680 (yet), so not sure if the above is related to the 780 Ti in particular, GK110B in general or something else entirely.

@ boli:

I actually managed to use both graphics cards. The system works faster, and Preveiw works too :lol: The only negative so far is that Photoshop CC will not open, After Effects, Lightroom and Premiere works. (All of the Adobe apps worked when I used only GTX780)

post-1275141-0-08086800-1388875945_thumb.png

post-1275141-0-24229500-1388875955_thumb.png

post-1275141-0-54023100-1388876422_thumb.jpg

Interesting, and good for you. :)

I tried enabling the Intel 4600 today, when the GTX 680 was in my Hack, rather than the 780 Ti. It didn't finish booting: stopped at grey Apple, likely the same as before (that's when the message I mentioned earlier was printed in verbose mode).

• 5 weeks later...

It gets even better.

As discovered by our plucky member Malaxor, by copying a piece of the GLDriverbundle to 10.9.1 you can fix GK110B issue in 10.9.1 and STILL have CUDA.

So far, this literally looks like a "Perfect Fix". Makes "B" cards equal to or better than the "A" cards. (Note, doing it this way kills GTX780 Ti drivers)

I have tried same in the B04 10.8.5 web driver and no luck.

Curious how long until Tony, Moe, and Larry try to package up in a "TripleBeast" package and call it their own. Or will the fact that it is a "***BETA***!!!*** UNRELEASED!!!***" driver keep their nerd greed at bay? Bets?

It gets even better.

As discovered by our plucky member Malaxor, by copying a piece of the GLDriverbundle to 10.9.1 you can fix GK110B issue in 10.9.1 and STILL have CUDA.

So far, this literally looks like a "Perfect Fix". Makes "B" cards equal to or better than the "A" cards. (Note, doing it this way kills GTX780 Ti drivers)

I have tried same in the B04 10.8.5 web driver and no luck.

Curious how long until Tony, Moe, and Larry try to package up in a "TripleBeast" package and call it their own. Or will the fact that it is a "***BETA***!!!*** UNRELEASED!!!***" driver keep their nerd greed at bay? Bets?

Thank you very much for the tips rominator. Finally things go in the right direction! OpenCL and CUDA works is certainly not wrong! : D

post-1275141-0-30264700-1391507384_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

OK, there is a new Web Driver out and new CUDA.

You will likely find that updating both will kill CUDA.

REMAIN CALM.

In 10.9.2, all you have to do is open the Nvidia control panel and choose the OSX Default Drivers and reboot.

No need for the frantic OS reinstalls cloning, etc I just saw at MR. Even worse were the various personalities at TM, there is a guy over there still pushing his "Rip out OpenCl, rip it ALL OUT" solution. Someone needs to drop his pride and think. Ripping out OpenCl is a STUPID solution when just moving a library file allows best of both worlds, OpenCL and CUDA working in 10.9.1 and 10.9.2.

For those folks with GK110B GTX780 or GTX Titan, you need to do the library switch again to run in Default Drivers, this will give you BOTH OpenCl and CUDA. The beautiful thing is, after you install the web drivers, both folders you need to do the switch are sitting there in your Extensions folder. The regular one is here:

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Right next to it in the extensions folder is the web driver one, I am not going to tell you the name but here is a hint. It looks pretty similar but has the word "web" in the name. You dig down into each one and drag the library from the web folder into the regular one. You'll have to swear to know what the heck you are doing with your password. Then you run a repair permissions and reboot. If you don't have a "B" card, you don't even need to do this. (and it won't do you any good)

The only people still out on a limb are the GTX780Ti and GTX Titan Black folk. You MUST use the Web Drivers to have acceleration, and this means NO CUDA for now. But obviously it is coming.

There is a reason Nvidia didn't let us have half baked drivers before, we have to remember that. But reading the humorous questions at TM, wow, no idea how they are so patient.

To break it down again for 10.9.2:

​GTX780 & Titan "A" cards - don't bother with Web Drivers yet, no point. In 10.9.2 everything works fine. DONE

GTX780 & Titan "B" cards - install the web driver, then do the library switch and run with default drivers, DONE, everything works.

GTX780Ti and Titan Black - Install Web Drivers and wait for CUDA fix. OpenCl and OpenGl working great already.

There, thats it.

• Like 1