Another "Still waiting for root device"

BackSheep

3 posts in this topic

I am running an AMD processor, but I expect this isn't causing the issue.

I know this is an incredibly common issue, and usually there's a simple AHCI fix to get it working, but after reading up a little about my motherboard I'm a little stumped.

My motherboard (signature) has six 6gb/s SATA ports, and two 3gb/s SATA ports.

Up until now I had my SATA ports back to front (I thought I had six 3gb/s ports), so I've been running my harddrive off of my 6gb/s port, but the install went through absolutely fine.

Now it's installed it's giving me the "Still waiting for root device" error.

AHCI is set by default on my harddrive, but I've been into the BIOS to have a look - it's definitely set.

I've unplugged all other SATA cables, and USB cables, still getting the error.

Now I've figured out I had my ports back to front, I've hooked up my harddrive to the 3gb/s port but my motherboard just isn't picking it up - obviously a motherboard issue but I've no idea what.

Is the 6gb/s port causing the "still waiting" error? If so, is there any way to get the 6gb/s port working, or do I need to find out what's wrong with my 3gb/s port?

I am having to boot with: -v npci=0x3000

I've come to the conclusion it's the fact that I'm running off of 6gb/s ports.

Unfortunately UEFI just isn't detecting my harddrive when connected to my 3gb/s port - which is obviously not hackintosh related.

I've updated my BIOS firmware to the latest release from ASUS's website, but still the same problem. Anyone got any idea why I'm having this issue?

It's definitely the ports that are the issue. I've hooked up my harddrive to a USB to SATA cable and have been able to boot with:

-v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No

Next step of course is to either fix my 3gb/s ports or find a 6gb/s workaround solution - which AFAIK, doesn't exist...