Can it be updated EVER? is it bad or good diea? how would i go aobut installing updates? do i need another mac to install drivers after applying the patches?
It can be updated. The procedure depend on how it was installed in the first place.
Say if all the patched kernel extensions, patched kernel itself were installed to the system partition (kexts to /S/L/E and kernel to the root of the disk), then you would need to backup (copy somewhere) all the altered/patched kexts and after an update, copy these patched kexts back to the original location. Thus restoring the overwritten kexts (by the updater) back. You would also need to replace the stock kerenel with the patched one (of the same version).
The above situation could be valid with any distro or if you placed all the patched kexts directly too /S/L/E (instead of /Extra/Extensions which is not affected by updater). In any case you should know which kexts were patched/replaced/modified in order to restore them. It's hard to tell which kexts are patched when using a distro, as most likely only authors can tell what modifications been made. There were patched updates intended to updated distro based OS X installs.
If all the patched kexts are stored in /E/E or even better Chameleon (with all the associated files) is installed to EFI partition, then updates are much safer, 'cos no patched kexts/kernels are overwritten by updater (as all patched files are stored separately from the system files).
In order to restore the kexts and/or kerenel, you could use either:
- a virtual OS X (on the same PC running Windows with virtual OS X running inside it)
- using another Hackintosh/Mac
- using OS X installation DVD/USB stick
There are few things to note:
- always update the patched kernel for it to match the original kernel version
- some patched kexts should also be updated (with the newer version of patched kext), as a previous version may no longer work in updated system
- it is possible that a boot loader should be update (depending on the version currently used) together with SMBIOS.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist
- make a back up before updating