R9 290x support in mavricks

TechGuru

64 posts in this topic

There was a trick that used to work with the dreaded 69xx series cards, which was to use a 69xx card to power a secondary monitor, while the the primary screen was hooked in the IGPU. Since the ID's are already there, did someone tried this trick with a R9 290X?

There was a trick that used to work with the dreaded 69xx series cards, which was to use a 69xx card to power a secondary monitor, while the the primary screen was hooked in the IGPU. Since the ID's are already there, did someone tried this trick with a R9 290X?

yes i did and nothing happened they also used that tricked the the 7000 amd cards before the sleep trick and fbuffer thing was done 

guys, if it needs some cleaning, I'm your man

aspirateur.gif      statue.gif

but please alexis and the others, try to deal with your differences of opinion in private

thank you for your understanding

^_^

• Like 1

yes please clean out all cuda and nvidia thanks 

Please do not be a fan boy and be open minded. If you want to portray yourself as you have, not considering alternative gpus, cursing, lack of willingness to work with others and such, then so be it. I really would like to work with you with this issue but you make it impossible.

Anyway... the issue has nothing to do with the drivers but the BIOS of the GPUS. 

Now to educate you on a few things about Apple and AMD drivers is that since Apple added support for the AMD 6xxx gen they have always included the majority of Device ID's for the majority of the GPU models. This does not however mean the BIOS on the GPUs will or can work with the drivers. So unless the BIOS on the cards is rewritten and then loaded using the Boot Loader or Flashed to the GPU there will be no progression. If you still feel that it is a driver issue then look at the AMD drivers for windows as they have not released a non beta version since last year so Mac OS X is the last thing on AMD's mind. 

Even if we can get around these issue by the time we do something newer and faster and cheaper will be upon us such as the AMD 8000 Series or Nvidia's 800 Maxwell Series (which some are out already). 

Please do not be a fan boy and be open minded. If you want to portray yourself as you have, not considering alternative gpus, cursing, lack of willingness to work with others and such, then so be it. I really would like to work with you with this issue but you make it impossible.

Anyway... the issue has nothing to do with the drivers but the BIOS of the GPUS. 

Now to educate you on a few things about Apple and AMD drivers is that since Apple added support for the AMD 6xxx gen they have always included the majority of Device ID's for the majority of the GPU models. This does not however mean the BIOS on the GPUs will or can work with the drivers. So unless the BIOS on the cards is rewritten and then loaded using the Boot Loader or Flashed to the GPU there will be no progression. If you still feel that it is a driver issue then look at the AMD drivers for windows as they have not released a non beta version since last year so Mac OS X is the last thing on AMD's mind. 

Even if we can get around these issue by the time we do something newer and faster and cheaper will be upon us such as the AMD 8000 Series or Nvidia's 800 Maxwell Series (which some are out already). 

THIS IS A AMD THREAD ONLY!! HEND THE NAME A TITLE DEAL WITH IT 

guys, if it needs some cleaning, I'm your man

aspirateur.gif      statue.gif

but please alexis and the others, try to deal with your differences of opinion in private

thank you for your understanding

^_^

THE SOONER all nvidia {censored} is cleared out the sooner we can get back on topic and thanks for the offer i was getting sick of the thread going so far off topic yet again with useless {censored} 

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC:os x 10.9.2 is installed and now updating and i have flashed a custom bios with ln2 mode to fix any performance problems so my card is now seen as a 290x lighting and i am installing 10.9.3 newest now and wiill try uefi mode for boot and other things so if we can stay on topic for good without nvidia fanboys or cuda bull that would be great thanks 

Are you sure about that, Rampage? How did you come to this conclusion? Or is this a logical deduction based on elimination of other possible causes of the Hawaii cards not to be working...?

So unless the BIOS on the cards is rewritten and then loaded using the Boot Loader or Flashed to the GPU there will be no progression. If you still feel that it is a driver issue then look at the AMD drivers for windows as they have not released a non beta version since last year so Mac OS X

Look at the usage of PC GPUs on Mac Pros, which have EFI, so no boot screen, but as long as there are drivers for the GPU, it will work: yes, even Cayman ones (6xxx). Perhaps, if the drivers already support them indeed, the Hawaii cards only need some workarounds to actually load the drivers, just as Cayman. What makes me skeptical about this being a BIOS issue is that the cards won't work even when powering a secondary monitor.

Alexis, by the way: did you try putting the boot loader at the EFI folder? That was the definite solution for the 7xxx cards that cause booting gibberish and freeze.

P.S.: Rampage and a Alexis: if it's indeed a BIOS issue, can this tool be of any help? http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1868686/edit-graphics-card-bios-rbe-gpu-note-work-amd-ati-cards.html

I tried... alexis6669 I am trying to work with you but in the end you do not want to work with others. 

@theconnactic you can get the ROM that way. I think we need to disable the Crossfire part of the GPU. It keeps looking for another card to enable crossfire with since it does not use a Crossfire bridge. The card acts like some 4850's did back in the day when a CF bridge was connected which would cause the system to just reboot. This is just part of the issue I believe but with that done you should be able to boot in but this is just a educated guess. 

• Like 1

Are you sure about that, Rampage? How did you come to this conclusion? Or is this a logical deduction based on elimination of other possible causes of the Hawaii cards not to be working...?

Look at the usage of PC GPUs on Mac Pros, which have EFI, so no boot screen, but as long as there are drivers for the GPU, it will work: yes, even Cayman ones (6xxx). Perhaps, if the drivers already support them indeed, the Hawaii cards only need some workarounds to actually load the drivers, just as Cayman. What makes me skeptical about this being a BIOS issue is that the cards won't work even when powering a secondary monitor.

Alexis, by the way: did you try putting the boot loader at the EFI folder? That was the definite solution for the 7xxx cards that cause booting gibberish and freeze.

P.S.: Rampage and a Alexis: if it's indeed a BIOS issue, can this tool be of any help? http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1868686/edit-graphics-card-bios-rbe-gpu-note-work-amd-ati-cards.html

tried uefi and efi and normal boot all with the bios of my card in play but as we are able to now use feed back app in os x i reported the 290x as not working i gave them my bios and the current drivers i suggest you all do the same maybe if we complain enough it will get {censored} done i also provided my mac pro info that no longer turns on but this does not mean i give up yet but i found out another issue my intel hd 4000 graphics dont work in 10.9.3 either which is odd 

I tried... alexis6669 I am trying to work with you but in the end you do not want to work with others. 

@theconnactic you can get the ROM that way. I think we need to disable the Crossfire part of the GPU. It keeps looking for another card to enable crossfire with since it does not use a Crossfire bridge. The card acts like some 4850's did back in the day when a CF bridge was connected which would cause the system to just reboot. This is just part of the issue I believe but with that done you should be able to boot in but this is just a educated guess. 

we should be able to do that in the bios of the card and then reflash it on one of the bios on the card and the ln2 bios gave me a good boost in speed in windows woot 

:jester:

You send in a report from a hack thats using a PC card and think something is going to become of it.. !?!

Sorry man, you just lost any confidence or credibility that I might have had with you actually being able to solve this issue.

• Like 2