R9 290x support in mavricks

TechGuru

64 posts in this topic

It's been there for a while. Has nothing to do with the drivers. It's the bios on the card that is the issue.

So until the bios is fixed it simply won't work?  I was hoping this was a simple driver issue to be fixed in 10.9.3.

One more time... This is not a driver issue so please stop looking at the drivers... That said the bios on the Gpu itself is to blame. It looks to be once again a new 69xx issue that most likely will never be addressed unless someone at and or apple throws us a bone...

One more time... This is not a driver issue so please stop looking at the drivers... That said the bios on the Gpu itself is to blame. It looks to be once again a new 69xx issue that most likely will never be addressed unless someone at and or apple throws us a bone...

Thanks for the information Rampage Dev, I do believe you know a lot more about this than most of us does :). Just out of curiosity, mind explaining what it is that makes the bios incompatible with a hackintosh / OS X build even if there are generic hawaii drivers (and possible framebuffer personalieis and such) available? Are the bioses locked to only work under specific OS / driver versions or similar?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/9100 we don't need a bone we have this which will soon be in every macpro and it's a 290x in firepro so the gpu is not to blame it's the drivers or lack of drivers 

Apple is not going to offer that GPU in the new system as AMD will not do what Apple would have them do to it. Besides it would not fit on the logic board they use now. You need to get deeper into what Apple made AMD do to the GPU's to understand. At most Apple may offer one Nvidia based model for 12K at WWDC because in reality CUDA 6 is blowing away OpenCL. 

A little sidetrack - is there any viritualization software for mac that supports PCI passthrough? If the 290x won't work under OS X in the near future, the next best thing would probably be to pass it through to a VM that could use it (like, gaming under windows).

Ive just seen the new Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2. It looks like an amazing card and if it were to work in OSX I would buy one. I'm guessing it has no chance of working in mavericks at the moment though? 

Apple is not going to offer that GPU in the new system as AMD will not do what Apple would have them do to it. Besides it would not fit on the logic board they use now. You need to get deeper into what Apple made AMD do to the GPU's to understand. At most Apple may offer one Nvidia based model for 12K at WWDC because in reality CUDA 6 is blowing away OpenCL. 

opencl is always being updated cuda is not and opencl will always be faster at everything no matter what nvidia does anymore. 

and apple has always supported work station cards mainly BECAUSE OF OPENCL and that won't change no matter how much you whine about it cuda is dying and even adobe knows it time to move on and on another note newest beta does not crash to desktop and is only missing the frame buffer so if we could find out what is is and work it in we will have the 290x fully working thank god and i can get back to enjoying mac os x and then get to testing 10.10 in july 

hi guys   :)

it seems that os x still hiding some secrets

on the path to help us to discover them, sharing all infos that we had seems to be a good start    ;)

a very interesting thread, just keep up the good work, guys   ;)

good news we have a new driver version in the newest beta and yet again in the 7000.kext the 290x device id is still present i will have to check if anything changed but the framebuffer.kext file has gotten bigger since last time 

Without compition to obtain faster rendering times we would be no where.

Many people didn't care CUDA or OpenCL which is faster, which is better, which is beautiful...

I have 4 R9 290, I want to use it in my hackintosh(I am still using HD6850 and GT640).

Just that is all.

So, I hope if you can focus on topic self will be better than discussing nVidia is empire or Mr. Huang is god.

let's keep this simple ALL I WANT IS TO STAY ON TOPIC. if you want to talk nvidia please make a new thread this is about amd only!! a 290/290x thread and i would like to keep it that way your cuda talk helps no one with a amd card i won't ask again and if i have to i will report you for bring negative talk to a thread and bringing it off topic aka trolling 

Well, here is not the appropriate place to discuss this but let's go:

First of all, perhaps CUDA 6 is faster then open CL, but that doesn't change the fact nVidia cards GPGPU computing is not as good as their AMD competitors at the same or even at lower price points. That's not "my opinion", but a proven fact by several reviews of the likes of Anandtech, and by various real-word situations (ask any bitcoin geek if s/he would trade his/her 7970 by, say, a Titan). This despite having, as you stressed very well, a superior platform.

So why professionals has been sticking so long with NVidia cards for applications which usually rely on a field they lag miles behind AMD GPUs? First of all, because that the developers of the said applications opted for the better implemented CUDA framework at the first moment, because it was more stable, well documented and performed better (and still is and does, but the gap is closing fast). Second, because the pro level offering from AMD - its FirePro series - used to be not exactly stellar. Think about how long Quadros dominated this market (and still do, but then again, the gap is also closing).

All in all, it makes perfect sense these days to choose an AMD card over an NVidia one for professional applications: an AMD card with OpenCL will perform better then a NVidia one with CUDA, because CUDA is better but NVidia compute engine is {censored}. This, of course, as long as the application supports OpenCL, which is becoming common place now, with even die-hard NVidia campers supporting OpenCL, like Adobe. And if you are on OSX (which, surprise!, amounts the vast majority of this forum users) and uses FCPX 10.1, Aperture or any other Apple pro app, it's a no-brainier to go AMD, since these apps are hugely optimized for AMD and OpenCL.

Just my two cents. Now, back on topic!

love the stubborn amd user beautiful and thanks for the back up i need this topic clean if you could help that would be wonderful and delete all unnecessary comments 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297187-amd-video-bios-disassembler/ i wonder if anyone is willing to test this tool with cloverv2? and report back 

ok guy's if 10.9.3 doesnt work with 290x or 290 we will et 10.9.4 right after or on the same day as the final release of 10.9.3 and if that does not work we will always have 10.9.5 and 10.10 to work with apple loves work station cards and the new w9100 is a 290x at heart but with 16gb's of video ram and super clocked and i bet apple will release support in july for those work station cards like they did for the ones inside the new mac pro which are two 7970's 

opencl is always being updated cuda is not and opencl will always be faster at everything no matter what nvidia does anymore. 

and apple has always supported work station cards mainly BECAUSE OF OPENCL and that won't change no matter how much you whine about it cuds is dying and even adobe knows it time to move on..

Im not going to get involved with a openCL / cuda flame war.. But you need to be informed that apple has traditionally used quadro cards and quadro cards have always had more feature rich drivers for mac os than any other cards they have ever used; not including cuda specific drivers. 

So your whole opinion that "apple has always supported work station cards mainly BECAUSE OF OPENCL" is off base and misinformed.  

• Like 2

Im not going to get involved with a openCL / cuda flame war.. But you need to be informed that apple has traditionally used quadro cards and quadro cards have always had more feature rich drivers for mac os than any other cards they have ever used; not including cuda specific drivers. 

So your whole opinion that "apple has always supported work station cards mainly BECAUSE OF OPENCL" is off base and misinformed.  

we are trying to get on topic do you mind ...thanks 

Sorry, alexis, but I cannot delete anything, since the forum I'm in charge with is the AMD development forum. But I see your point: perhaps if you ask politely, Rampage won't mind delete his off topic posts: he's no troll, and he in fact can help you a lot. I think you guys had a rough start, but I bet you can get along if you put this little petty incident aside. I'll start deleting mine, because it has no place here indeed. I think joe75 might as well do the same.

All the best!

let's keep this simple ALL I WANT IS TO STAY ON TOPIC. if you want to talk nvidia please make a new thread this is about amd only!! a 290/290x thread and i would like to keep it that way your cuda talk helps no one with a amd card i won't ask again and if i have to i will report you for bring negative talk to a thread and bringing it off topic aka trolling 

love the stubborn amd user beautiful and thanks for the back up i need this topic clean if you could help that would be wonderful and delete all unnecessary comments 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297187-amd-video-bios-disassembler/ i wonder if anyone is willing to test this tool with cloverv2? and report back 

As my 7970 died last week. I'm willing to test it out with the Sapphire R9 290 that should be coming soon in the mail. I'm keen to see if It can be made fully functional for use with Final Cut Pro X. 

• Like 1