2014's crystal ball of unix version software.

Acro_Design

2 posts in this topic

Can we expect an EA Origin for linux, or perhaps we are moving into the platform independant ecosystem of the cloud?

My question is this, Have milestone events like the realisation of Steam and Android plus the publicity stunt that was the Ubuntu Edge, changed or raised the awareness of Unix so that more companies will show in interest in developing for Unix, I dont care if they dont make the software just concider and consult with the public, or will cloud based web apps and software arive before that (either way hell will freze and I get to dump windows 7 for good).

What are your predictions for 2014 "the year of the linux desktop"... (this year fingers crossed) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we'll see any major linux distro spread out through desktops. I think mobile is going to be their game. If not mobile, then maybe embedded systems might be the ticket. Valve is really pushing the linux movement for gaming, and depending on if that takes off then we may or may not see an increase in Linux gaming. I also wouldn't be surprised in the next year from Valve if we see a Steam box that's low powered, low cost, arm based that just streams games to it and maybe a few small ARM games on it as well.