Forcing DVI output during installation (Nvidia 210) // Black Screen

Marmite

8 posts in this topic

I'm currently trying to get Mavericks running on some parts that I quickly ordered - I'd returned my MacBook Pro to my previous employer before realising I had a few things I'd been meaning to do.

So I checked the HCL and bought some fairly recommended components: including this graphics card, the Nvidia 210.

Initially I tried installing from a boot media configured via dd in linux - and I could boot in to the installer fine.. once I'd removed some of the NV* .kexts. Prior to that I would get a black screen.

Well, due to other issues with that install media - I downloaded a copy of Mavericks from the App Store today (whilst at work) and quickly threw together a new USB installer using #####. However that dreaded black screen has come back, and I'm pondering whether there is a better way to remedy it than just removing a lot of kext files?

My understanding is that Mac OS X is correctly identifying the card as having a HDMI port, and automatically sending the output to this - neglecting the DVI + VGA ports. I'm using DVI though!

Am I barking up the wrong tree by reading about NVCAP? Or should I just be looking at removing the .kext files? Maybe I'm wrong all together! I've seen people discuss solving this via custom EFI strings and other mechanisms - but these are primarily post-install fixes right? I'm just trying to get through the installation itself right now!

Cheers guys

Ah, I can understand - and I respect that considering this forums stance regarding that area of things. (I must say, it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth too)

However this issue isn't really specific to mb - it happened when making installation media directly using dd and manually inserting .kext files. Which is a bit annoying, I will probably remove the NVD* .kext files again and see where that gets me.

Cheers

Just installed hfsplus/hfsprogs/hfsutils on my Laptop and modified the installation USB like this:

MintBox / # mkdir osx86
MintBox / # cd ./mnt
MintBox mnt # mount -t hfsplus -o remount,force,rw /dev/sdc1 /mnt/osx86/
MintBox mnt # cd ./osx86/System/Library/Extensions/
MintBox Extensions # rm -rf ./NVDA*
MintBox Extensions # cd /
MintBox / # umount /dev/sdc1

I've popped it in to my new build and booted with the following flags:

-v GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Now I have been able to boot in to the installation and I'm going to walk to the shop whilst it installs.. I fear I'm going to have a nightmare when it's installed!

As expected the issue is down to the geniune Apple stock kext files. Fingers crossed!

Solved.

Removing the NVidia specific Kernel Extensions allowed me to install and boot up post-installation. Furthermore, I could copy them back post installation with no adverse side effects - and even use VGA.

The card is recognised too. There could well be an aspect ratio issue with my display though, but I don't actually think that's the graphics card specifically.

1zmckds.png

:o you have a 1024x768 monitor?

haha, I can understand your shock but no! Unfortunately Mac OS X doesn't seem to want to detect my monitor correctly, but I suspect that's due to an issue with the age of my monitor. Either that, or Mavericks' hatred of VGA.. :(

I did post another thread about it - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294539-incorrect-resolution-but-gfx-card-is-detected-correctly-nv-210/?do=findComment&comment=1975347 - but the crux of it was after trying a fair few solutions I decided I may as well just buy a nice modern display with HDMI input and 1080p reso. (Currently using an old 1600x900 display with VGA)

the gfx card is recognized...but not accelerated...most likely you will need to add your device id to the nvidia kexts :smoke:...or perhaps you did not repair permissions when copying the nvidia kexts back to extensions...

Oh! Now that's pretty interesting actually! I figured that as the gfx was recognised that was it..! I shall give that a go, I think I used Kext Utility since to check the permissions in the directory since. However I definitely didn't add my device ID to any of the kexts.. doh!

Perhaps there is a possible solution to my resolution issues then. I'll still treat myself to a new display :P (Just means I can wait a little later and try and get a bargain in the sales)

• Like 1