[GUIDE] Install Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with NVidia graphics

xangel9626

225 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot for your help Xangel 9626, you are very kind.

I tried the -f option but it doesn't change at all.

I tried replacing my DSDT by yours on the extra folder and it didnt work either.

I have been randomly changing settings in the BIOS (and I messed it up)

I have been playing with Chameleon a little bit, but it doesn't help either.

I think that the best option will be to start all over again from scratch. It would help me a lot if you can tell me the configuration on your bios, maybe mine is messed up. Or maybe the problem is my own patched DSDT, don't know, but I think i didt well, (I followed carefully the instructions of a video I found online.)

I will try again during the following days... it is being hard and very time consuming! At least I have the hope that other people like you achieved to install it in this laptop :-)

Thank you, I'll tell you any news

I know it's hard, it took me a long while to get everything working and fusion's help with my DSDT.  I failed to get the installation working more times than I can count and I wanted to toss my computer out the window on multiple occasions, but eventually I got it working.  I'm sorry I can't be more help immediately, but I have only so much time in the day because of work.

I will try to get to your DSDT this weekend and patch it and see if it works any different than what you got.  Reset your bios to default, turn on AHCI, and turn off Intel Dynamic Acceleration.  Everything else should be left alone.  Have a little patience and everything should work out eventually.

It doesn't remember from one install to the next, it just means you have the same problem in both installations.  Which version of Mavericks image are you using?  Someone in this thread had issues using 10.9.1 (I think), but was able to do a successful install with 10.9.0.  Try booting the installer with just -f.  At one point I couldn't boot with -v -f without errors, but with just -f, it was fine.  Also, do you have a Bluetooth installed?

Sorry I deleted the previous message, since I achieved to get into the installer screen again. I don't know why, but this time it worked with -f

I am not sure about the installer version, (this time I downloaded it from torrent), and it is slightly different from the one I used before and also from the one you explain in your post (for example, the Packages folder was already in its place since the beginning). 

I have the internal bluetooth that came with my 1720, it was working fine in Windows.

Now the installer is in 33%. I'm excited again (but sleepy hahaha, tomorrow I have to work) I hope so much that it will boot after the install, I will let you know. Thank you!!!!  :thumbsup_anim:

:( No luck. Installed correctly, reboot and frozen in the same point when booting from the HD:

[IOBluetoothHCIController::setConfigState] calling registerService
**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][protectedBluetoothHCIControllerTransportShowsUP] -- Connected to the transport successfully 

I tried -f too. Time to sleep now! thanks for your help anyway  :)

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I can not perform the post installation steps since OSX will not boot after the installer reaches 100%. I think I followed carefully your instructions but I might be wrong somewhere. I tried several times from scratch with the same result,it always gets frozen in this point:

**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][protectedBluetoothHCIControllerTransportShowsUP] -- Connected to the transport successfully 

That's because you have to do the post install from another installation of OS X.  You will not be able to boot the Mavericks hard drive until you complete all the post installation steps.  I had a previous installation of Mountain Lion on a separate hard drive already in my laptop.  I just booted into MLion and did all the post installation steps, then rebooted into the Mavericks drive.  I'm assuming you have a Mac or OS X install on a computer?

I have an iMac in my house (I go there twice in a week) and a close friend has a mac mini in my workplace, I am using it these days in order to prepare the Mavericks USB. I don't have other OSX installs in my inspiron, but I have a linux live CD, I dont know if it could help.

What should I do? Should I install another OSX before I follow your guide? How can I install it if it doesnt boot?

Thanks a lot for you patience

:( No luck. Installed correctly, reboot and frozen in the same point when booting from the HD:

I tried -f too. Time to sleep now! thanks for your help anyway  :)

As @xangel9626 mentioned above, the newly installed Mavericks volume won't boot until FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller kexts are copied across to the hard disk in the post-install steps.  You can also do this (without an existing OSX install) by booting into the Mavericks USB installer ---> go to Utilities ---> start Terminal

Here, I'm assuming your OSX volume is named "Mavericks"

Type the following lines, pressing <Enter> after each line...

cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/Mavericks/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext /Volumes/Mavericks/System/Library/Extensions/
cp -R /Extra /Volumes/Mavericks/

Then update system caches ...

cd /Volumes/Mavericks
fsck -fy
mount -uw /
touch /S*/L*/Extensions
kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel  (for Yosemite, can use kextcache -Boot -U /)
kextcache -system-caches
reboot

This time, you should be able to boot into the Mavericks installation from the USB installer and follow the rest of the post install procedure (install other kexts, Chameleon on the hard disk etc).

Good Luck!

Long time no see fusion, you beat me to the punch :).

@hysp, fusion's method is the easiest, it will get you basic functionality to boot into your hard drive and complete the post install instructions.  Once you have booted into Mavericks, remember to delete the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from your extensions folder during the post install as you will be using the ApplePS2Controller.kext that I provided.

Another method, if you are uncomfortable with using command line, would be to get a USB hard drive enclosure, remove your hard drive from your laptop and connect it to the Mac that you are using to complete the post install.

Let us know if you have any luck.

Thanks a lot!  :) Im doing it right now. It seems that:

kextcache -Boot -U /

is not a valid command. "unrecognized option -Boot" 

unrecognized option -Boot
usage: kextcache <mkext_flag> [options] [--] [kext or directory] ...
kextcache -prelinked-kernel <filename> [options] [--] [kext or directory]
kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache [options] -prelinked-kernel
kextcache -update-volume <volume> [options]
kextcache -system-caches [options]

I will try to find online something similar to the -Boot modifier

I am not sure, but I read online that -Boot is only for Yosemite, so I skipped that line.  However it seems that it is working, since I entered in a Setup screen, I will update you guys any news when the configuration is over. Thank you so much!!!  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

I'm glad you're getting somewhere.  Since you got the computer to boot to the configuration screen, you should be good.  You might want to make a backup before you start messing with post install just in case you make a mistake, save you some time of having to do a reinstall.

I use Carbon Clone Copier (CCC).  I make a clone on a spare hard drive that I have just in case I mess anything up and I always do my updates/mod testing on the spare before I do anything with my daily drive. 

Thank you so so so much @fusion71au and @xangel9626!  :D  :D

My system is working perfectly now! full speed + bluetooth + sound + wifi... I can't believe it yet! I owe you so much, if there is something I can do for you I will try to help you too. I am graphic designer, so that is what I can do :D

Thank you again, it is so beautiful that there is people like you out there willing to help others. 

Now everything is perfect so far, except some keys that are not where I would like them to be, but I can get used to it. 

THANKS!!!  :drool:  :thumbsup_anim:  :D  :yes:  :lol:
  • Like 1

I'm glad you finally got it all sorted out.  You can easily change the keyboard layout in OS X from system preferences.  The only other thing I think you have left is rebranding the wifi card to airport so you can get airdrop, I wish I could remember the exact instructions I used, but with a little reading, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Congratulations and enjoy.

The only difference after rebranding will be airdrop? If I achieve it, will I need to start the process all over again from the beginning, including DSDT?

I already changed the keyboard layout to fit my spanish keyboard, but there are still some keys in the wrong place, such as [ ] { } and @ wich works with Windows+(other key) instead of Alt + (other key).

Copy / Paste are also changed  (alt+c alt+v instead of control+c & control+v).  But that is a minor issue.

Thanks again for your help, I am really happy :-) 

Actually, copy and paste in OS X is cmd-c/cmd-v.  On a real Mac keyboard, the cmd button is in the position of alt on a windows keyboard.  Even though the keyboard is a Windows keyboard, the ApplePS2 kext makes it act like a Mac keyboard, so you would have to look at the layout on a real Spanish Mac keyboard to know the correct positioning of the buttons.

Yes, you only get Airdrop functionality added to the wifi card and it'll show up as an Airport card in the system specifications.... not really a big deal either way.  No you would not have to start over or redo your DSDT, you do the rebranding in Linux (from Live CD) and boot into OS X and it should just work as an Airport card.  I don't use Airdrop and I did it just because I wanted to see if I could.  It's the same reason I made my laptop into a hackintosh, I don't even like Macs, but I'm a computer geek and like doing stuff like this.

Hi again! :-)

The system is working fine, it is working much faster than my previous installation of Windows. However, I found a couple of weird things that I can not understand.

1) The system sometimes is starting at 1,2 GHz and other times at 2GHz. It is happening randomly
post-1444556-0-46978800-1422790293_thumb.jpg

I found in the Bios that there is a max and a min, is it possible to start always at 2GHz? 

post-1444556-0-26476000-1422790290_thumb.jpg

2) Randomly, I get a failure screen while booting. It is happening often, but not always. Sometimes it happens, I turn it off and on again and everything is perfect again. Once the OS is loaded there is no more problems, and the system is stable. If the error happens, the OS will not boot. It is not a big deal, just restart several times until it works... but I wonder if it could be fixed since it is a bit annoying.

CPU 0 caller 0xffff... : "TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s)failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x2, NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0
[...]
process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task 
post-1444556-0-70313200-1422790286_thumb.jpg

post-1444556-0-70313200-1422790286_thumb.jpg

post-1444556-0-26476000-1422790290_thumb.jpg

post-1444556-0-36665800-1422790292_thumb.jpg

post-1444556-0-46978800-1422790293_thumb.jpg

could it be because I wasn't able to run the following command as I mentioned before?

kextcache -Boot -U /

Each line is a reboot, red = not bootblue = ok but 1.2GHz,  green = perfect!

-f   OK (2 GHz) Perfect!!!

-f   ERROR

-f   ERROR

-f   OK (1.2 GHz)

-f   OK (1.2 GHz)

-f   ERROR

-f   OK (1.2 GHz)

-f   OK (1.2 GHz)

-f   ERROR

-f   OK (1.2 GHz)

-f   OK (1.2 GHz)

-f   OK (1.2 GHz)

===============

now without -f

OK (1.2 GHz)

OK (1.2 GHz)

OK (2 GHz) Perfect!!!!

OK (1.2 GHz)

OK (1.2 GHz)

===============

changed bios: boot in "auto" mode

OK (1.2 GHz)

===============

changed bios: boot in "Thorough" mode (Do not skip any steps in the boot process)

OK (1.2 GHz)

OK (1.2 GHz)

===============

changed bios: boot in "minimal" mode

OK (1.2 GHz)

OK (2 GHz) Perfect!!!

OK (2 GHz) Perfect!!!

OK (1.2 GHz)

OK (1.2 GHz)