[GUIDE] Install Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with NVidia graphics

xangel9626

225 posts in this topic

first of all hello everyone,I'm new to this forum.the truth is im not new but I've been only a leecher so far :) maybe one day ill be the one that helps other people but it won't be any time soon

i want to thank you xangel9626 very much for your guide...without it my 1720 would never run mavericks..and fusion thank you very much for your dsdt...you are my heroes:)....dsdt patching is not for me...tried it since 10.6,with no luck(tried it yesterday again using immo guide...with no success:)..

i have the same specs as xangel in my 1720 except my cpu is t7500(2,2ghz) and i have dell 1505 wifi card which works but i think is not recognized as airport(doesn't bother me at all) and the bluetooth works with darwinx 1530 bluetooth kexts...i used your xangels/fusion's dsdt and it works perfectly(even with different cpu)...ive tested it with geek bench and performance is on par with the 2008 macbook pro(santa rosa) with the same specs...THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS

but now i have a little problem that i beg you to help me with...i searched the forums for solution for weeks but with no luck...i upgraded the ram in my 1720 from 2*1gb ram to  2*2gb ram...bios recognizes it and windows works perfectly with it...the problem is the mac won't boot with both rams inside...it gets stuck at waiting for dsmos and gets error something like flow_disconnect_kernel returned 0 and won't boot...when i put out the second ram and keep only one of my new 2gb rams-mac boots and works normally again.it drives me crazy,I've tried everything(even diff ram from real macbook-with no succes)...maybe the ram is limited on 2gb in dsdt or something like that....please help

druvix - have you tried to disable speedstep and Intel Dynamic Akc in BIOS.also disable virtualization if it is enabled...if nothing works try to boot with -cpus=1 -v -f to get you through os x install...i think i had to use cpus=1 first time i installed mavericks...it took 2hrs to install...i had the sam error as you all the time in the installer

@mirko888,

You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback.  We've all benefited from the great work of others in the community - I'm just trying to put a little back :).

Differences in RAM configuration can also affect the ACPI tables and require repatching of the DSDT (see this thread)

Pls upload your untouched DSDT and I will have a look at it for you.

Hey guys sorry I have been gone so long I am just very busy just a little background here I moved from va to tx going to college now have a 2 year old and a wife so I am a little bit busy right now I will keep you all updated as this progresses but as of right now I am working on getting a friend to let me borrow their MacBook

Thanks for the DSDT Fusion and Mirko, 

It has helped as I can now get further on but it seems to be freezing at the coloured wheel of death, the 1720 Dose not react to Trackpad or keyboard (but dose if I plug in my Apple USB keyboard and mouse)   Tried changing all the relevant Bios settings 1 at a time, including using the -cpus=1 etc but still the same end result.    

After studying your guide I realised that I've not used all the Kexts you mentioned in (things you will need) not including the extra ones in each package,  am I now being dumb here and not doing what would be obvious to someone else?   

I am Enjoying getting stuck into this and Im hoping that I will retain some of this information so I to can be of use in the future,  Although I think my Girlfriend is getting tired of having one-sided conversations  :) 

@druvix,

An easy illustrated guide for creating the Mavericks installer can be found in the All In One Vanilla OS X Installer Thread.  All the kexts you need for the installer (only 2 required) are found in DarwinX's post here and for the configuration files in /Extra, you can use Xangel's as an example.

I basically followed the guide with some minor changes to create an install USB:

• In part 2.0, I used an mbr formatted USB with 1 partition Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) - some older BIOS based computers can't boot off GUID USB.
  • In /S/L/E, place FakeSMC v3.3.1 & VoodooPS2Controller.kext v1.1.0 (no need for NullCPUPowerManagement.kext with DSDT in /extra).  Install current version of Chameleon v2.2 r2344 into the USB and make sure that the mach kernel is on the root.
  • You can omit most of 2.2.  Create an /Extra folder and copy over XAngel's smbios.plist, org.chameleon.boot.plist & your patched DSDT.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext enables use of keyboard and trackpad during install.

Boot flags - I used only -v & -f. 

-v Verbose output is necessary for troubleshooting.  Saying there is a coloured wheel of death doesn't help with diagnosis :)

-f Ignores kernel caches and makes sure the kexts we added to S/L/E above are used

If you have hangs, pls post screenshot.

PS talking to ur girlfriend is probably more important - happy gf/wife happy life  :hysterical:

Edit @mirko888,

Attached is the DSDT patched from the native one you posted below ---> place in /Extra.  I'm assuming you extracted this in linux while you had both sticks of 2GB installed.....otherwise back to square one.

DSDTmirkoedit.zip

• Like 1

thank you very much fusion71au...please take a look at my dsdt when you have the time

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3tEhE9Cwl_OWWFzYnBCTlI0OW8&usp=sharing ---this is my dsdt dumped from live ubuntu

@druvix

im not sure but i think first time i managed to install mavericks without your error appearing in the installer was with the following flags -v -f -x -cpus=1 ...and disable virt,speedstep,and ida in bios...not sure if it helps but its worth a try :)

Edit : 

thank you fusion for your dsdt..yes it was extracted with ram installed...tried booting with it but with no success...stuck at waiting for dsmos...tried changing my smbios from 5,1 to 3,1 pre made one for c2d MacBook Pro and i almost got it to boot but it gets stuck right before it usually boots...after bluetooth initialized and right before ntfs-3g mounting of my ntfs partitions...dsmos arrived and everything  but it hangs right after bluetooth initialization..

maybe the problem is that this type of MacBook Pro only supports upto 3gb ram as stated here

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270?viewlocale=en_US#link7

i tried putting my old 1gb ram in second slot and boot with only 3 gb ram(one 2gb new stick,and one 1gb old stick) and it booted normally...i don't know anymore...what do you think...going to sleep...will try to play with diff smbioses tommorow and will let you know if i managed to run all 4gb....thank you for your help once again

Sorry I should have explained a little better,   I have been booting Using the -v at all times as it gives me a little bit of an idea whats going on.    After using the Correct DSDT I've managed to get past the verbose output and the Apple logo has appeared + Im getting the Little beach ball spinning, It dose this indefinitely, at first I thought it was totally unresponsive but I then plugged my USB apple keyboard and mouse and I could now move the spinning wheel around the screen but still just stayed at this screen.    

I did have a little bit more luck this morning,  using part of the guide you linked above and Xangle's Guide I've managed to get to the disc utility and format the drive,  but When I went to instal It said I needed to Do this Via App store.   I had forgot to copy over the Packages File (step 10)  I blame talking to my girlfriend lol :) after copying this file across its freezing at the screen I posted Above.

post-1290648-0-64141600-1390673413_thumb.jpeg

thank you very much fusion71au...please take a look at my dsdt when you have the time

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3tEhE9Cwl_OWWFzYnBCTlI0OW8&usp=sharing ---this is my dsdt dumped from live ubuntu

@druvix

im not sure but i think first time i managed to install mavericks without your error appearing in the installer was with the following flags -v -f -x -cpus=1 ...and disable virt,speedstep,and ida in bios...not sure if it helps but its worth a try :)

Edit : 

thank you fusion for your dsdt..yes it was extracted with ram installed...tried booting with it but with no success...stuck at waiting for dsmos...tried changing my smbios from 5,1 to 3,1 pre made one for c2d MacBook Pro and i almost got it to boot but it gets stuck right before it usually boots...after bluetooth initialized and right before ntfs-3g mounting of my ntfs partitions...dsmos arrived and everything  but it hangs right after bluetooth initialization..

maybe the problem is that this type of MacBook Pro only supports upto 3gb ram as stated here

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270?viewlocale=en_US#link7

i tried putting my old 1gb ram in second slot and boot with only 3 gb ram(one 2gb new stick,and one 1gb old stick) and it booted normally...i don't know anymore...what do you think...going to sleep...will try to play with diff smbioses tommorow and will let you know if i managed to run all 4gb....thank you for your help once again

Very strange.  Xangel has 4GB RAM, MBP 5,1 SMBIOS and it seems OK for him.....what BIOS version are you (A09 is latest)?   Also what non native kexts do you have in S/L/E?  I'm wondering if you have an old 32 bit kext in there somewhere eg refer this thread and this one for examples--->hangs if memory is 4GB or more.

@druvix,

the fact that you made it to the disk utility stage means a successful boot and dsdt is probably OK....it usually takes quite a long time from the blank screen until you see the installer to choose language, utilities etc.  Make sure you unplug any unnecessary USB hubs and peripherals (except the USB installer)....also a good idea to check the SHA1/md5 on your Appstore installer download to see if it is corrupted http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1658909 .

Well I've managed to get it to start installing now Using Xangel's Guide without any alterations.  Its still going as we speak.  taken about 2 hours so far!  It said 21min at the start.  I assume these are Microsoft minutes and not your standard minute.    

Inspired by Mirko's comment on the Ram I thought I would try using 2 sticks of Ram I pulled from my Girlfriends 2007 iMac (she's getting really fed up with me now)  anyway It didn't work but after putting my ram back and trying it again, Its worked!   the only thing I can think of is it wasn't sitting correct in there maybe, Although windows 7 was working perfect when I stuck my Corsair SSD back in to pull my DSDT.    Any ideas? lol 

Thanks again for all your Advice!!    I will let you know If I get it running fully  :D

From what I can remember, it shouldn't matter how much ram you have in the computer.  I've never ran into any problems with 2gb or 4gb, but I've had 4gb since Snow Leopard, so I couldn't tell you if it makes a difference.  It's always possible you have a stick of Ram that might be on it's last leg and that was causing the issue, I've seen that before.

The install does take a long, long time to complete, so just have patience.  I made the SMBios 5.1 using Chameleon Wizard, I had nothing but errors and issues when trying to use one I found on the internet, even though it was exactly the same as what the Wizard made.  Sometimes this stuff is picky.

EDIT:  One thing I remembered, if you use anything other than Chameleon r2269, you might have issues.  I tried upgrading it once using the Chameleon Wizard to r2284 (I think) and it screwed my system completely.  I had to revert to r2269 to get it working again.  It's always good to have spare hard drives with working OS X installed.

I bet Its on its last legs,  the laptop is kinda old now and its had some heavy use.   Its a little like triggers broom.   I've replaced the Screen,  CPU, GPU (Was8400m) and its had countless Drives.   Its been to America twice, Spain once and seen most of England oh and its been sat on,  hence the replacement screen.  I will purchase a new stick before it dies,  I think 2gb is pennies from Ebay anyway.     

I was wondering If it could have been something like that so I have been over the guide a tonne of times too, checking and double checking all the files to make sure I hadn't done anything silly.   I ended up using a 60gb drive to make the installer as writing data to that was a lot quicker than the Cruzer blade I was using before.     

I've got "Less Than A Minute" now anyway ;)

@fusion71au 

yes I'm on latest bios a09,i have all the kexts xangel used in his guide + some kexts from darwinx(links in the first xangels post)-CSRAppleBluetooth.kext,DellBluetoothHCI.kext,IOBluetoothFamily.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext...will try to delete them all and boot without them,thanks...ill let you know if it worked

@xangel9626

​yes I'm on the newest chameleon available from chameleon wizard...i will try with the older version you said,thanks...ill let you guys know if it works

@druvix

just be patient,getting through the installer is the hardest part(at least was for me),"less than a minute" lasted 30mins on my 1720.good luck

i finally managed to boot mac with 4gb inside..but with the flags maxmem=2046 hahahah...atleast i don't have to take the memory out when i boot my mac partition instead of windows now (not that i ever boot windows now that i have mac but its nice to finally screw my 1720,he's been butt naked for weeks hahaha)

r1g0pf.jpg

i tried deleting all of the extra kexts i installed (the ones that weren't in the xangel guide) and still nothing..hangs at waiting for dsmos :hysterical:...only diff is bluetooth doesn't get recognized now...tried old chameleon version xangel suggested but with no luck

qqtsaq.jpg

getting frustrated...if my dellBook doesn't boot soon with all memory available i will {censored}-slap him so hard he will never recover :lol:  thanks guys for your help...it doesn't bother me so much that it won't read all 4gb,i just won't to know why the fck not??? I'm going to rest in the dark for a while,and cry under a blanket hahahah  :)  cheers

EDIT:

there must be something 32bit on my system.kext or something.i managed to boot with maxmem=3gb.for whatever reason it won't boot past 3,5gb ram...tried booting with -force64 and edited smbios(added memory serial numbers to it) but still nothing...im now going back under my blanket with eyes full of tears :yes:  

2aew7b7.png

EDIT 2 :

i tried using smbios 3,1 and almost got it to boot....almoast :(

35l88xd.jpg

SMBios 3.1 won't work.  From the look of your second verbose screen, your C-states aren't initializing properly.  After removing the Bluetooth kexts, did you redo the extensions.mkext files and place it in the /System/Library/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup folder?  Also, try booting with -f if you aren't.

Well I got past the instal,   The last minute took about another hour lol.   Im now freezing just after bluetooth warnings in -v  

I've not finished trying different setups and options but I'm starting to run out.    I'm hoping i didn't make the mistake by using my running copy of mavericks on my MacPro to complete the steps in Post instal?  

on an slightly unrelated note,  When installing mavericks did you have to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse?   My touchpad and keyboard on the laptop was working perfect but Mavericks wouldn't allow me to continue with setup without detecting a mouse and keyboard.   

post-1290648-0-77018400-1390768166_thumb.jpg

@druvix:

Using your Mac Pro shouldn't have made a difference, all you're doing is moving files around and using Mac utilities to fix stuff.  I didn't need an external keyboard and mouse, once I got the install done, I finished the post-install stuff from Mountain Lion and when I booted up, everything worked.  I usually just close out the keyboard detection and select the keyboard type manually from System Preferences.  If I remember correctly, I kept getting stuck at Bluetooth when I was trying to figure out my install, I'll have to look back at my other threads to see what I did to get past it.  I'm confused as to what is different between the Inspiron 1720 and the Vostro 1700 that is making you guys have such a hard time getting your installations working.

Well I've managed to get it to boot,  Took me some time but I think it was my stupid fault (again) on my Mavericks drive I hadn't installed the Fakesmc after doing this I got it to boot If I remove this it stops booting again, although once its up and running I get a warning saying the fakesmc.kext cannot be used.  

My Built in keyboard, touchpad, wifi and sound don't work,   graphics are fine,  and cpu running at full speed.   these I can hopefully sort out over time.   I think Im going to make a Clone of this drive before I continue to mess around with it as I know this boots  (kind of)   

Thanks for all your help!  Slowly getting there with this old laptop and Im learning ALOT  

post-1290648-0-50574500-1390848262_thumb.jpg

@xangel that cstates error keeps repeating from the first time i booted mavericks,dont know why ....but i think it doesnt effect my ram problem,and yes i booted with -f after deleting kexts

@druvix copy your kexts again and overwrite everything that asks,boot with -f,then use kext wizard on your mac partition

@mirko888 @xangel9626

The c-states error is normal -none of our Dell Laptops have working c-states (only p-states work).  This is because the LPC device is fundamentally different to Apple's and can't be corrected through dsdt or other means - see my post here.

re mirko's RAM issue - wonder what brand/exact specs of RAM you are using?  Could be a compatibility issue between the RAM and BIOS (although on the other hand, the fact that Windows works OK with 4GB points to a 32 bit kext issue).  Out of interest, did you do a vanilla install?  A lot of those all in one installers put uneccessary kexts in S/L/E.....

Also to exclude a BIOS setting anomaly, maybe reset to optimised defaults and ensure hard drive is in AHCI mode, HPET 64 bit etc.

Edit: Have a look at this forum post on determining which 32 bit kexts are in your system.  In terminal, type

kextstat

to show all the kexts used in your system.  All the Apple ones should be OK for 64bit.

Then use kextfind to filter out the non 64 bit ones

kextfind -not -arch x86_64

and

kextfind -f /Library/Extensions -e -not -arch x86_64

@xangel: I don't think my patched dsdts are the issue.  Mirko has stated that he has used both the dsdt I edited for you (which works with 4GB on your machine) and the one I did from his native dsdt extracted from BIOS in linux with 4GB installed--->they both work on his machine save for the 4GB RAM issue.  I am certain I didn't add a patch restricting memory usage to less than 4GB :P .

@mirko: Disk partitioning to mbr or GUID shouldn't have any influence on your RAM issue (although I do strongly recommend GUID for reasons I outline in this post).

@druvix

That error is a permissions problem that can be corrected running disk utility and repairing disk permissions.  You should use kext wizard or kext utility to install kexts to avoid this problem.

For post-install into your hard drive's S/L/E folder, you will need FakeSMC and also

• AppleAPCIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller (alternatively VoodooPS2Controller)---> for your trackpad and keyboard
  • VoodooHDA--->for sound
  • ACPIBatteryManager--->for battery meter
  • AppleBCM440Xethernet--->for ethernet
  • Wireless--->Depends on your hardware.  You'll find that the Intel wireless cards won't work with OSX, regardless of any kexts.  The ones supported natively by OSX and recognised as "Airport" tend to be Broadcom (if you're lucky, you may have a Dell TrueMobile 1505) or Atheros chipset based cards.  See my post here
  • Patched AppleRTC--->to prevent CMOS resets with sleep
  • Regressed AppleACPIPlatform--->to prevent reboot on invoking sleep more than once
  • Optional- patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement--->Id of the Dell 8600gt is inserted into patched kext for better performance/power mx

kexts in blue are from DarwinX's post.

PS You should use a photo editing program to blank out your serial number in your previous post :).

@druvix

When you get the kind of error you got with the fakesmc, try doing a permissions repair on the hard drive.  For the keyboard, mouse and audio, I would try replacing the files again, rebuilding the extensions.mkext and moving it into the S/L/C/com/Startup folder.  I think I didn't explain it properly, you need to drop the kexts into the S/L/Extensions folder, then drag the entire folder onto the Kext Utility to build the extensions.mkext.  Make sure you boot with -f when you restart.  Yes, do make a clone.

@mirko

No, your c-states aren't going to affect your ram, only the speeds that your processor is supposed to run.  Your situation is very weird since I have never seen anyone have issues with their ram not being fully recognized.  I know it may suck since I have done this about 20 times before I got a working system, but you might want to try reinstalling to see if you get the same issue.

EDIT @ Fusion

That's what I get for walking away from my computer for a second to help my son. LoL

I'm at a loss, I have no idea why your computer would do that.  I have never had a problem with my computer reading the right amount of ram ever and I started with leopard.  From everything I read, the Inspiron 1720 is exactly the same as the Vostro 1700, so you should technically not be having that issue.

To verify my own instructions, I went ahead and created a new installer and did a new installation on a blank drive I had.  The whole thing took just over 2 hours and everything is working as expected.  The only thing I can think that could be the issue would be the DSDTs may have something wrong with them which is causing the different problems everyone is experiencing.

As a self inflicted insult to my instruction writing skills, if anyone may be having issues understanding any of the individual instructions as I wrote them, please let me know so I might be able to elaborate on them a little better.  It's possible that I may not be clear enough for anyone but me to follow them. :)