[GUIDE] Install Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with NVidia graphics

xangel9626

225 posts in this topic

@ froschlurch, please add your system specifications to your signature.  If you need any assistance understanding anything or getting anything to work, just let us know and we'll do our best to sort you out.

@xangel9626  Thanks a lot for your DSDT! I didnt have much time today, but I tried quickly your DSDT and the system didnt boot, (I got a different error not seen before). I will try it again another day and let you know. The strange thing, is that after I got that error several times,  I booted from my cloned backup copy and restored the previous DSDT  in my main Mavericks installation, then I restarted again and it was working at 2GHz. I though it was just by chance, but I restarted 4 times in a row and I got 2GHz in every boot. I can't understand it...   However, I didn't tried enough, maybe tomorrow will start again at 1.2, who knows!   The randomly appearing error while loading is still happening, but I don't know if it is a big deal...  maybe it is going to get solved when I try with your DSDT again, I will let you know, but today I just wanted to tell you that surprisingly after your DSDT I got 2GHz in every boot even if my DSDT was restored (I never though computing could be so random hahaha).

@froschlurch, I followed the following steps:

Aditional hardware: get another mac to setup the the installation USB, and get an 8GB USB in which you are going to create the installer. 

0) Set up the BIOS: Reset your bios to default, turn on AHCI, and turn off Intel Dynamic Acceleration.

1) Get an Ubuntu live CD and burn it. You can install it in a USB, but it is a bit harder, (that is actually what I did)

2) Run Ubuntu. Extract your DSDT and patch it, use this patches: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54233359/Dell%201520%20Patches.zip   I did it following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFogU5s3e8

3) collect the files that @xangel9626 listed in the first post, "things you will need". For steps 3 and 4 in his list you have to use a small application contained inside of one of the listed zip files, using it you will be able to create your own SMBios (I choosed Macbook Pro 5.1 in the dropdown) and your own org.chameleon.Boot.plist with selected features. Then you should add Max_valid_dma_addr=1024 manually to your  org.chameleon as @fusion71au mentioned (in page 5, I think, I dont remember). For Match_kernel (step 5) you need a program called Pacifist, and follow this instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lba1vH2wbdA

4) Create the installer following @xangel9626 steps listed in his first post (1 to 21), in the section "create the installer". I did it several times from different Mavericks images downloaded from different sources. Once it was exactly as he said and it was very easy. With the other image I downloade there were minor differences but you will be able to figure out what is different or you can ask here (different folder content, or small variations).

5) Follow @fusion71au commands in order to copy basic kext to be able to boot. Use commands from post #185  The last command (the one with -Boot) didnt work for me, but it is OK

6) Remove the USB. Boot from the internal HD. Follow  @xangel9626 steps listed in post #84

7) Press the arrow keys right after the initial DELL logo. Start several times with -f -v 

8) Done  :D

It is going to be a long trip if you try to do it, but...  it is nice! In the end the system works pretty well, so it is worth it. 

Thanks again,  Xangel  :)

However, the new DSDT is not working, I got the HPET error. Don't bother, I appreciate your effort but I think that my system is working pretty well now. I got back to my DSDT and it still loads. Sometimes I get the weird error while loading, but most of the times it is ok, and in the worst case I just have to reboot.

About the random CPU speeds, now is not happening, I don't know why, I didn't do anything else. But I found out that now, when I boot plugged to the electric network it starts at 1.99 GHz and when running unplugged at 1.2 GHz, I am OK with that, probably to save some battery life. Previously it was happening randomly, even while plugged, that was weird to me, and most of the times it was starting at 1.2 GHz.

So... thanks again for your big help, and thanks to fusion too. It is nice to have people like you around willing to help others. At some time I though that I was not going to be able to install it but in the end I was  :thumbsup_anim:

Hello,

Did anybody try to migrate/upgrade to Yosemite ?

I would like to install Mac Os X but either I use this excellent guide with Mavericks and after a successful installation I migrate/upgrade to Yosemite, either I try to install directly Yosemite...

In your opinion ?

Thank You in advance ;)

(and thank you Google for the translation :rolleyes: )

I got Yosemite installed and updated to 10.10.2 on my laptop, but I had to do it a little differently than what I did for Mavericks.  I always do a clean install, never upgrade from one release to the next.  Everything seems to be working except Facetime and iMessage and maybe iCloud, I can't log in, though it seems to be that my user ID is blocked, not the device itself.  I'm still working on it.

Thank you for answering, xangel :thumbsup_anim:

but I had to do it a little differently than what I did for Mavericks

Could you explain, please ? :blush:

Before starting the installation, I would choose the right version of MAC OS :rolleyes: . I also try to patch my own DSDT...
And I wondered if I should use a SMBIOS
MacBookPro3,1 like this one http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html that seems very close to my laptop ?

I'll do a write up this weekend for Yosemite.  You shouldn't have to do your own DSDT, there is one for the T7500 in one of the posts on this topic, page 2, post 24 called DSDTdruvixedit.  I've tried SMBios 3.1 and I couldn't get the system to work properly, 5.1 seems to work the best.

• 2 months later...

@ Offshore - There is a DSDT on Page 2 Post #24 for a T7500.  MIrko888 gave a link for a FakeSMC on Page 5 Post #93 that should work perfectly for you.

@ mirko - You're welcome.  I have a second hard drive set up to test updates before I use them on my main OS X install.  So any time an update comes out, I will be installing them and posting if it works or has issues.

I cant download them, it says "Oops! Something went wrong!". What should i do? Thanks...

Does anyone have the original files that go to the guide?

I've been following this post for awhile now and have been semi successful in getting the Mavericks installer to boot up. However, I am having issues with the installation. My touch pad is unresponsive during the install (luckily my usb mouse seems to be recognized ok) and the installer seems to hang within the first few minutes or so. Would newer versions of FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller cause issues like this? The reason I ask is because the links no longer work in the original post so I was forced the download the kext files elsewhere. I am having trouble finding the low version files (FakeSMC 3.3.1 & VoodooPS2Controller 1.1.0) that are used in the guide. Any help is greatly appreciated. And thanks to xangel for this great guide!   :thumbsup_anim:

@njg9837 - You don't have to apologize, I appreciate you posting the specs.  If you haven't already, you can use the DSDT i recently uploaded for a T7500.  Attached is the files I list in my first post.  If you have any issues, please let me know.  A little hint, follow my instructions EXACTLY.  Any modifications will cause issues.  Keep in mind, your wifi will never work unless you change out the intel wireless card.

Inspiron1720Mavericks.zip

SUCCESS!!! Thank you for your help xangel! I was able to use your DSDT to get my laptop loaded with Mavericks. Everything seems to be working just fine with the exception of the app store reporting that my device could not be verified when trying to login. I know a lot of users have had this issue and I'm sure theres a workaround to get it working just haven't sat down and tried to fix it yet. I may just make a backup of this and try moving right on to Yosemite.

I didn't know anyone was having issues with the app store.  Keep in mind that installing Yosemite has a different process.  I have a write-up for it on another thread.  Keep the files I uploaded because most of them are used for the install.

• 1 year later...

Hey Randy, I'm sorry I didn't catch your message earlier as I don't log in to the website that much.  If I'm reading you correctly, you already have a patched DSDT, if not, browse all the pages of the installer guide and you could possibly find one for your processor that's already patched.  Please try to follow my install guide but some of the programs/files I used might not be available and you may need to improvise.

To Everyone - My Vostro 1700 no longer has OS X installed on it, I managed to format both my main hard drive and my backup hard drive and I just decided that I didn't need OS X on it any more.  The files I had should mostly be available in either of my installer guides, if not, I do not have them any more.  I can try to help you with your installs, but it has been a while since I've done any work on my old laptop.