[GUIDE] Install Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with NVidia graphics

xangel9626

225 posts in this topic

First and foremost, I want to thank fusion71au for his assistance with getting my system up and running with Mavericks.

My system

Vostro 1700 – Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 – 4GB DDR2 667 RAM – Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT – HP rebranded to Apple Airport BCM94322MC – IOGear Bluetooth 2.1 USB – Sigmatel Stac9205 Audio – 17 inch 1440x900 Glossy Screen

Of course, make adjustments for your system as necessary.

I have no instructions for the DSDT patching because fusion71au did the patching for me.  Also, if you need to do the rebranding of your wireless card, there are plenty of resources on the net that can help you out.  For the Post Installation, I did all the work from within my Mountain Lion installation on a separate hard drive, you might be able to boot from the installer drive to do the work, but I didn’t bother trying as I had issues in the past and it was just easier to do it from a running system.

Instead of making a kext package, I’m providing links to give proper credit for others finding or modifying kexts to work with specific devices.  Only use the Kexts that I list in the guide, there are others in the packages that are not needed.

SYSTEM STATUS

Working:

·       Trackpad with 2 finger scrolling and Tapping

·       USB Bluetooth

·       Graphics with QE/CI

·       Ethernet

·       Wi-Fi

·       Audio

·       Battery Icon

·       iCloud/iMessage

·       AirDrop

·       Reboot

·       Auto and Lid Sleep

·       CPU Speed Stepping

Issues:

·       Waking from Sleep causes USB Bluetooth to mess up, removing/replacing the USB dongle fixes it.

·       Shutdown does not kill power

·       About This Mac shows 15 Inch Macbook Pro, but who cares

THINGS YOU WILL NEED

1.     Mavericks installer downloaded from Apple Store

2.     DSDT for your system patched with the following:

·       DTGP Method

·       HPET

·       IRQs to fix USB Devices Randomly Not Working

·       USB patch to fix sleep

·       PCI Patch

·       RTC Patch

·       SMBUS patch

·       IDE fix (optional but added)

·       Clamshell fix (optional but added)

·       Shutdown fix for XPSm1530 (optional but added)*

·       USB Drive Sleep Fix for XPSm1530 (optional but added)*

·       Removed AZAL/HDEF section

3.     SMBios 5.1 created with Chameleon Wizard (Found in DarwinX’s package.  Make/modify one with the wizard, don’t use someone else’s)

4.     org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the following setup

·       GenerateCStates=Yes

·       GeneratePStates=Yes

·       GraphicsEnaber=Yes

·       GraphicsMode=1440x900x32

·       UseKernelCache=Yes

·       Max_valid_dma_addr=1024

·       Darkwake=0

5.     Mach_Kernel (either find one online for Mavericks or extracted from Mavericks installer)

6.     FakeSMC, AppleRTC, VoodooHDA, and ACPIBatteryManager from DarwinX

7.     AppleAPCIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller from IndianDragon

8.     AppleBCM440Xethernet

9.     AppleACPIPlatform

10.   VoodooPS2Controller from Darwinx (Only for USB installer)

11.   Chameleon 2.2 r2269

CREATE THE INSTALLER

1.     Right click Mavericks installer and select show contents

2.     Mount InstallESD.dmg

3.     Use Show All Files app to show hidden files

4.     Mount BaseSystem.dmg

5.     Format 8+GB USB drive to single partition Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) with GUID

6.     Restore BaseSystem.dmg to 8+GB USB drive

7.     Rename 8+GB USB drive to something (I use Mav_USB in this instruciton)

8.     Eject Mounted Basesystem.dmg

9.     Open Mav_USB and delete the packages shortcut in /System/Installation

10.   Open OS X Install ESD and copy the Packages folder to Mav_USB /System/Installation

11.   Copy Mach_Kernel to root of Mav_USB

12.   Add FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller Kexts to /S/L/E

13.   Drag Extensions folder to Kext Utility to make Extensions.mkext

14.   Copy Extensions.mkext to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

15.   Install Chameleon r2269 with FileNVRAM module selected onto Mav_USB

16.   Copy your DSDT, org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and smbios.plist to the Extra folder in Mav_USB root

17.   Reboot computer, boot into Mav_USB and you should get to the language select screen

18.   Select your language

19.   Select Utilities at the top and choose Disk Utility

20.   Format your hard drive with 1 partition, Mac OS X Journaled with GUID partition scheme

21.   Close disk utility and continue with the installation of OS X

POST INSTALLATION

***USE NEW POST INSTALLATION STEPS WITH INCLUDED FILES IN POST #84 ON PAGE 5***

1.     Copy /Extra folder from Mav_USB to root of Mavericks hard drive

2.     Open /S/L/E; delete AppleRTC, AppleHDA, and AppleSmartBatteryManager; then add previously mentioned Kexts to it, overwrite current kexts if necessary

3.     Drag /S/L/E folder to Kext Utility to make Extensions.mkext

4.     Copy Extensions.mkext to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

5.     Install Chameleon r2269 with FileNVRAM module selected

6.     Reboot system and use –v –f in Chameleon, if everything went right you should get the OS X setup screen

7.     Set up your system

8.     Open terminal and do the following

·       sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0   (this is used to fix sleep issues)

·       sudo nvram -d boot-args   (stops Chameleon from remembering boot flags)

9.     Delete nvram.plist in from your /Extra folder

10.   Reboot computer, boot into BIOS (F2) and turn off Intel Dynamic Acceleration to allow processor to run at full speed in OS X

11.   Boot into OS X and enjoy.

UPDATE #1

Installed the 10.9.1 update from the App Store and install went smooth.  Had to remove AppleHDA.kext after the computer restarted to get sound working because of the conflict between VoodooHDA and AppleHDA.

UPDATE #2

Installed the 10.9.2 update from the App Store.  Removed AppleHDA.kext to fix audio.  Everything still works.

UPDATE #3

Installed the 10.9.3 update from the App Store.  Removed AppleHDA.kext to fix audio.  Everything is still working as it should.

UPDATE #4

Installed the 10.9.4 update from the App Store.  Removed AppleHDA.kext to fix audio.  Everything is still working as it should.

UPDATE #5

Installed the 10.9.5 update from the App Store.  Removed AppleHDA.kext to fix audio.  Everything is still working as it should.

• Like 6

Hey xangel9626!

Congratulations on your Mavericks Install and well done with your guide  :thumbsup_anim:  

For those wanting to know the details of the DSDT edits, I would refer them to immo's DSDT thread

The edits I marked with * work for XPSm1530 but may or may not work on other machines.

Also for clarification of post install step 2, I recommend deleting AppleRTC.kext, AppleHDA.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext from /S/L/E first before replacing them with DarwinX's AppleRTC, VoodooHDA, and ACPIBatteryManager to avoid potential conflicts.

Again well done & hope your guide helps others get onto Mavericks :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never made a dsdt file before or done the editing I have tried to make the one for this install and have fallen flat on my face. so 2,3 and 4 from things you will need I dont have and I no longer have an apple to create these things I did  try but I guess I just didn't make them correctly since my usb won't boot still. If you have those still and can upload them for me to somewhere that I can use them that would be great.

Can you give me your complete system specs?

How are you making the installer if you don't have OS X installed on your system?

I have attached my SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist.  Your screen resolution might need adjusted in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist for your system.

DSDTs are specific to the main hardware that you have in your system.  You might be able to use mine if you have a Core 2 Duo T7250 and NVidia 8600M GT graphics, if not you will have to extract your DSDT and have it modified.

smbios-org.chameleon..zip

I'll see if I can get fusion71au to help out.  I tried editing your DSDT my self, but it compiled with too many errors and I have no idea how to fix any of it.  I have attached mine if you want to see if you have any luck with using it, but I doubt it will work.  If I get word back from fusion71au I will let you know.

xangel_Inspiron1720DSDT_patched3.zip

@Phibermatrix, @xangel9626,

I usually don't respond to PMs for help since I think the goal should be to help as many people as possible by posting in the general forums. Also I think that the person asking for help should first make a genuine effort to solve the problem(s) themselves, reading the various guides & resources available in the forums and on the internet (half the fun is learning to solve problems yourself, otherwise you may as well buy an Apple product that "just works" and doesn't need periodic fixing with OSX updates).

That being said, I have applied the edits to the DSDT that Phibermatrix sent in the PM (attached).

Good Luck :)

PS Phibermatrix: Pls put details of your hardware/software in your signature like xangel does - it makes it easier for others to help you.

PhibermatrixDSDTedited.zip

• Like 1

Thank you for doing that DSDT edit fusion.  Question, could you tell me what I am doing wrong with the DSDTEditor?  I added the patches to the DSDT as outlined in immo's thread and when I compiled, I kept getting a couple errors.  How do you get past them or do you just ignore them?  I attached a picture of what I'm talking about.

post-463186-0-70191300-1388462381_thumb.jpg

@xangel9626

The warnings and the remark can be ignored but the error needs fixing.  I found that you can just delete the asterisk and change the lower case letters over to uppercase:

ie *pnp0c14----> PNP0C14

To fix the cosmetic warnings, apply this fix from Immo's first post in the dsdt thread:

You will get a number of warnings that look like this:

DSDT.dsl 5016: And (Local0, 0x0F)
Warning 1105 - ^ Result is not used, operator has no effect

Replace all of these with:

And (Local0, 0x0F, Local0)

Ok that's easy enough. I figured that the warnings were something that needed to be fixed, now that I know they aren't, I should be able to mod some DSDTs.

@ fusion, will do. It seems like DSDT editing is easier than I thought initially. Thank you for your insight.

Without a running OSX system, this makes life more difficult to prepare an install USB (but still doable if you can follow instructions carefully).

In order of increasing technical difficulty

1) Borrow a friend's mac (or a friend who has a hackintosh) to create an install USB following Xangel's guide/the All in one Vanilla Install Guide.

2) Install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 in a virtual machine in Windows eg install and run SL in VirtualBox and create your Mavericks USB installer in the Snow Leopard VM.

3) Use TransMac and Clover bootloader (instead of Chameleon) following kyndder's instructions here to create an install USB.

4) Use Linux to create the Mavericks USB installer - link.

Edit: Links to forum threads on creating a premade/"distro" install USB in Windows here and also here.  Replace with appstore Mavericks once you are up and running.

• Like 1

You can also try installing a distro temporarily so you can follow my guide.

Download iAtkos S3 v2 and burn it to DVD. 

http://iatkos.me/iarkos-releases/

When you get to the hard drive selection screen, hit Customize and select the following options

Chameleon v2RC5

32 Bit boot

Graphics Enabler

-pci1

uncheck RTC patch (Leave everything else checked)

Sound - Voodoo HDA only

PS/2 - Apple

AHCI SATA

Laptop Hardware - Battery and Card Reader

Network - Broadcom 440x

Finish the install process which will take a little while.  When you are done, you should be able to boot the Snow Leopard drive.  If not, then just boot the DVD again and at the OS Select screen, choose your newly installed Snow Leopard drive -v -f -x boot flags and USB keyboard/mouse might be needed.  It should function enough to get you through the Mavericks guide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,   I have a Dell inspiron 1720, 3GB Ram, Core 2 Duo T7500, Nvidia 8600m gt, 500GB HDD which I'm trying to install Mavericks,  Sorry to ask but I've been following your guide But I'm getting stuck,   I've tried to use your DSDT but its freezing on the boot screen.    Could this be related to using the Wrong DSDT?    or would I at least get too the install screen?   

post-1290648-0-45098900-1390425646_thumb.jpg

@druvix

Best to extract the native DSDT from your own BIOS eg using rweverything in windows or a linux live USB, then apply the patches using DSDT editor as I outlined in xangel's thread.  If you have no luck after attempting this yourself, upload your untouched DSDT and I will have a look at it for you.

The error in the screenshot suggests an incorrectly configured DSDT that needs HPET patching (did you put xangel's patched DSDT in the /extra folder of your install USB?).

You might be able to complete the install without a DSDT file if NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (& FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller) is added to the System/Library/Extensions folder of the install USB as per the all in one Vanilla Install Guide for OSX.

Yes I tried using the 3 different DSDT's available on this thread.   I will put my windows Drive back in tonight and try to patch the DSDT myself, If not that I would be very grateful if you had a little look for me.   I was just hoping that the ones on here would work (lazy I suppose)    

using another guide I found somewhere on Google I managed to get the laptop to Disk Utility Before It would freeze up after a random time. 

I will let you know How I get on

Thanks for your time  :)

DSDT.AML.zip

For everyone, using the wrong DSDT will not allow the USB installer to boot.  You must use one for your CPU.  If you have a T7250, my DSDT should work for you, if it doesn't or you have a different CPU, you need to make one of your own.