How likely is a retail OS X installation to work out of the box ?

kollapse

4 posts in this topic

Hi.

I was wondering... I'm about to purchase a laptop with very similar specs as the current generation of Macbooks. How likely is a retail/fully standard OS X, say, 10.8 installation to work right out of the box, in this case ?

I'm aware that I likely have to find workarounds to use WiFi, audio and other peripherals in order to make it fully functional. However, the basic stuff... how likely is it really ? I'm not quite into the whole OSX86 project anymore so this is probably a noobish question.

I apologise if this has been questioned before.

Thank you beforehand.

My first OS X install (10.8.2 ML) was one week ago on my laptop (HP dv6830).

To be honest, I'm still shocked about how well it worked out of the box. Sure I had no audio, no wifi, it didn't shutdown/sleep/restart, keyboard and touchpad only worked thanks to embedded kexts, but dammit, it worked pretty well! In a 5 year old laptop. One week later, I'm on Mavericks with a 90% functional undervolted laptop and only have a couple issues that I don't think I'll be able to fix.

So, I'm probably not the best person to answer, but I guess it's a bit relative. Luck may play a role and the person's technical ability will also contribute to the "easiness/hardness".

My first OS X install (10.8.2 ML) was one week ago on my laptop (HP dv6830).

To be honest, I'm still shocked about how well it worked out of the box. Sure I had no audio, no wifi, it didn't shutdown/sleep/restart, keyboard and touchpad only worked thanks to embedded kexts, but dammit, it worked pretty well! In a 5 year old laptop. One week later, I'm on Mavericks with a 90% functional undervolted laptop and only have a couple issues that I don't think I'll be able to fix.

So, I'm probably not the best person to answer, but I guess it's a bit relative. Luck may play a role and the person's technical ability will also contribute to the "easiness/hardness".

Your answer is a most pleasent one ! Thanks. It got my hopes up a bit.

@ kollapse

If you have time you can read this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/ and use this tool: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/11-pandoraapp/

Use the platform search to find a guide for a device with similar hardware.

Please put your hardware in your signature, like many others have done it, to get easier proper support.

Have fun.