Realtek 8168/8111 solution

DaemonES

872 posts in this topic

Guys, is there any (small) progress on this project? Is it paused/frozen?

Dear Bit Shoveler are you hoping to release perhaps any new version?

I have just bought the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 board and really needed this kext. My device is (lspci -nn):

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168]

Despite the device 0x816810ec being referenced in the vanilla AppleRTL8169.kext (Info.plist) it doesn't work out of the box. Not even in 32-bit mode!

Many thanks...

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

what you need is in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

what you need is in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Thanks, spalek83, I think that the same 64-bit driver by Bit Shoveler (as found here) is enclosed in that package. Was just curious as to whether we could expect an improved/updated driver soon. Thanks...

Thanks, spalek83, I think that the same 64-bit driver by Bit Shoveler (as found here) is enclosed in that package. Was just curious as to whether we could expect an improved/updated driver soon. Thanks...

the official 32 bit only driver is there as well, which was what I was trying to point out. I had to turn to it after having massive problems with the release from Bit Shoveler

From a quick look at the source posted by bit shoveler and the linux source released by realtek, there is a fair bit more involved. The MCFG_8168* constants are based on the CFG_METHOD_* constants in the linux source, and the linux source has whole new sections for CFG_METHOD_14/15 (which are the constants referring to the 8111E).

I have no experience with driver programming of any sort, so I've no idea how much effort it would be to update bit shoveler's code to match the latest linux drivers, but I assume a lot :) .

Just got the Gigabyte H55N-USB3 mini-ITX board, and it's got the dreaded 8111E. :(

Works just fine with the official drivers, but 32bit only.

Did a fair bit of poking around with sources for RealtekR1000SL and managed to get 8111E inserted, loaded, and recognized in 64bit. Although I ran into a roadblock with Ethernet address not picking up DHCP- it remains Self-Assigned IP, connected, but no internet. Seems like it's possible that we should be able to insert the Linux code into RealtekR1000SL.

If one of the original devs has a few minutes, I could probably help out. Let me know :)

Hey tonymacx86 welcome to the club! At least you got the vanilla driver to work with the new mobo... I have the P55M-UD4 and it's not even recognized at all. It was supposed to be a good vanilla board but I am facing problems. The driver posted here is working 64bit but it is slow, was copying a big file last night and saw it doesn't match my other mobo's AppleYukon, in speed. Wish I knew how to code to help. Let's hope someone is not on summer holidays and could help!

Hey tonymacx86 welcome to the club! At least you got the vanilla driver to work with the new mobo... I have the P55M-UD4 and it's not even recognized at all. It was supposed to be a good vanilla board but I am facing problems. The driver posted here is working 64bit but it is slow, was copying a big file last night and saw it doesn't match my other mobo's AppleYukon, in speed. Wish I knew how to code to help. Let's hope someone is not on summer holidays and could help!

Ya- for the P55M-UD4, you can use RealtekR1000SL for 64bit, but the official drivers from Realtek's site are better, although only 32bit. Try those out to test for speed differences. Also, if you're not setting Gigabit ethernet manually in Network preferences you won't get Gigabit speeds. ;)

Ya- for the P55M-UD4, you can use RealtekR1000SL for 64bit, but the official drivers from Realtek's site are better, although only 32bit. Try those out to test for speed differences. Also, if you're not setting Gigabit ethernet manually in Network preferences you won't get Gigabit speeds. :unsure:

Thanks for the manual speed tip! I had forgotten about it... I did change it manually now.

Do you think we can perhaps move this project to another thread, even forum perhaps, in order to continue the driver development and include Linux improvements?

• 2 weeks later...

Help the realtekr1000.kext was not installed properly :(

I used the link on the front page of the driver It says the system extension cannot be used, BTW I'm running a 10.6.0 system on a AT3N7A-I the ethernet card is a 10ec variety.

if anyone knows what to do please let me know

help

terramir

Help the realtekr1000.kext was not installed properly

I used the link on the front page of the driver It says the system extension cannot be used, BTW I'm running a 10.6.0 system on a AT3N7A-I the ethernet card is a 10ec variety.

if anyone knows what to do please let me know

help

terramir

use Kext Helper (google search)

Just got the Gigabyte H55N-USB3 mini-ITX board, and it's got the dreaded 8111E. :D

Works just fine with the official drivers, but 32bit only.

Did a fair bit of poking around with sources for RealtekR1000SL and managed to get 8111E inserted, loaded, and recognized in 64bit. Although I ran into a roadblock with Ethernet address not picking up DHCP- it remains Self-Assigned IP, connected, but no internet. Seems like it's possible that we should be able to insert the Linux code into RealtekR1000SL.

If one of the original devs has a few minutes, I could probably help out. Let me know :blink:

Would you mind posting the modified source for your Realtek1000 kext?

EDIT: Nevermind picked it up off your forums.

OK By no means am I a developer. So with that in mind someone with a 8111E chip try this out and tell me if it works in 64-bit mode. I don't have a 8111E to try it out but I'm considering buying one and I'd like to have working network ports. If I can get this to work then I'll buy one.
Hey kdawg good to see you here. Your attached kext does not work on my 64-bit 10.6.4 vanilla Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 that has the Realtek RTL8111D Ethernet Controller. Just reporting, I know you asked for the 8111E. The error I get is:

Aug 21 20:59:14 kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Unknown hardware version ID (28000000)
Aug 21 20:59:14 kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: probeHardware() failed

Perhaps it's not your driver causing this error, but the vanilla kext--hard to know.

If you can re-compile your kext with the descriptor/IDs of my card, I'd be glad to re-test this kext:

Realtek RTL8111D Ethernet Controller:
 Vendor ID:	0x10ec
 Device ID:	0x8168
 Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x1458
 Subsystem ID:	0xe000
 Revision ID:	 0x0003

That is, if the two devices 8111D and 8111E are compatible... Cheers.

Aug 21 20:59:14 kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Unknown hardware version ID (28000000)
Aug 21 20:59:14 kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: probeHardware() failed

Perhaps it's not your driver causing this error, but the vanilla kext--hard to know.

i got this error when i removed my realtek1000 kext for my 8111D, i was trying to get it to work without a extra kext, i thought the error might be casued by the version id not matching up with the apple version of the 8111(X)

i got this error when i removed my realtek1000 kext for my 8111D, i was trying to get it to work without a extra kext, i thought the error might be casued by the version id not matching up with the apple version of the 8111(X)

That's why I mentioned earlier that someone experienced enough can perhaps patch the current vanilla binary and make it compatible with our card, just as they do with e.g. ALC888 and the same family of sound drivers. The binary is vanilla and just patched for the IDs...

Can anyone experienced enough help us out with the 10.6.4 vanilla driver (which should work 64-bit mode) for the 8111D and 8111E, for example? I have personally no experience with hex editors or disassemblers, etc. unfortunately.

im also having problems with 8111e, during startup the spinning thing below the apple logo stops. Then i always have to press the startup button before im able to get in. When i disabled the lan port at the bios i dont encounter any problem.
Mate, try to boot in verbose mode (-v) to see at which point the boot process stalls.

Hey kdawg are you here or on holidays? :angel: Let us know your feedback, or have us test a new release please! I had a look into the binary of the actual driver from you, and I saw some text that refers to RTL8111D controller; is your driver supposed to support this card?

Hi Guys,

Due to the shortcomings of the current Realtek 81xx Hackintosh drivers (such as lack of or limited support of 8111E, 32/64-bit, sleep issues), I endeavored to port the Linux RTL81xx driver to OSX.

With help of MacMan and tonymacx86 just finalized alpha testing my driver on P55/H55/X58 with RTL8111D and 8111E...

I'm about to release a Beta... More details here: http://bit.ly/ccRQlP

Cheers,

Lnx2Mac

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, please don't hate me, but how would I go about seeing if this chipset is on my board? My network's been screwy for a a while, and, though it hasn't been an issue, I recently upgraded my printer to a wireless model... Yada, yada, yada... Thanks in advanced!

Hi Guys,

Due to the shortcomings of the current Realtek 81xx Hackintosh drivers (such as lack of or limited support of 8111E, 32/64-bit, sleep issues), I endeavored to port the Linux RTL81xx driver to OSX.

With help of MacMan and tonymacx86 just finalized alpha testing my driver on P55/H55/X58 with RTL8111D and 8111E...

I'm about to release a Beta... More details here: http://bit.ly/ccRQlP

Cheers,

Lnx2Mac

THE WAIT IS OVER !!!

Come get the Public Beta with Realtek 8111E/8168E support from http://bit.ly/RTL81xx

Happy Hacking,

Lnx2Mac