• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Ricky Romero

Ricky Romero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I want to futureproof my system to support a 4K display, while reaping the benefits of a faster card today.  I wondered if anyone here already has a 4K setup — hey, it's worth a shot! — and if so, what their setup is.

I was considering getting the MSI GTX 760 4 GB — a card that's supported on the 10.9 HCL — until I saw that they have a max resolution of 2560x1440 on it.  But it supports DisplayPort 1.2, which does 4K, and NVIDIA's own specs say that the card should support 4K.  So I'm wondering whether MSI's max resolution is actually limited in their implementation, or if it's a misprint. (Good luck contacting support and finding out either way...)

Trouble is, I don't have a 4K display to verify this with today.  Maybe I should just wait it out.

Edited by Ricky Romero, 01 December 2013 - 11:33 PM.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,980 posts

Display port only. And you need a lot off GPU power to do a lot with it. 

Ricky Romero

Ricky Romero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Well yeah, it's 8 million pixels :-)  I might wait, but I'm still curious to hear if anyone here is running a 4K setup yet.

P.S.: Thank you for your Asus DSDTs and kexts and so on!  I'm running a P9X79 WS which works great thanks to you.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,980 posts

Um... yes people have been running 4K setups for many years now. There are display output cards that have supported 4K for some time. 

And thanks. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4K, UltraHD, Retina

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy