Lenovo IdeaPad U410 - No turbo states if disable Optimus in BIOS

10 posts in this topic

As the title said, there will be no turbo states (other p states works normally) if I disable Optimus Nvidia 610m in BIOS.

This problem usually happens only after sleep, meaning the CPU works fine at startup, but goes wrong after wake up. In addition, CPU power jumps from 5W to 17W+, higher than the maximum power specified by Intel. I check the power via Intel Power Gadget and HWmonitor, same result.

I tried to disable Optimus by editing DSDT. But I cannot find any _off or similar method in my SSDTs and DSDT. Maybe Lenovo is too last to put these off methods?

Any suggestion? Thx in advance.

Attachments include DSDT and six SSDTs: Archive.zip

SSDTs are extracted via DSDTSE in Mac.

As the title said, there will be no turbo states (other p states works normally) if I disable Optimus Nvidia 610m in BIOS.

This problem usually happens only after sleep, meaning the CPU works fine at startup, but goes wrong after wake up. In addition, CPU power jumps from 5W to 17W+, higher than the maximum power specified by Intel. I check the power via Intel Power Gadget and HWmonitor, same result.

I tried to disable Optimus by editing DSDT. But I cannot find any _off or similar method in my SSDTs and DSDT. Maybe Lenovo is too last to put these off methods?

Any suggestion? Thx in advance.

Look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290635-disabling-optimus-leads-to-no-turbo-p-states-on-ivy-bridge-processor/?p=1971744

Have fun.

Have you installed your system with Chameleon and afterwards switched to Clover?

Generated your dsdt and ssdt in which gfx-status in bios, internal or switchable?

There is no visible attachment in your post.

Have fun.

Have you installed your system with Chameleon and afterwards switched to Clover?

In which gfx-status in bios, internal or switchable, have you generated your DSDT/SSDT files?

Have fun.

Generated your dsdt and ssdt in which gfx-status in bios, internal or switchable?

Have fun.

In which gfx-status in bios, internal or switchable, have you generated your DSDT/SSDT files?

Have fun.

No, I installed directly from Clover.

It was HD4000 only when I extract the dsdt/ssdt. Does it matter? I will extract again with Optimus turned on.

Visible attachment? U mean screenshot?

No dsdt and ssdt seems to be fine for use with bios set to internal gfx.

Which smbios are you using?

Which ssdt tables have you in your ACPI patched folder?

Did you generate a ssdt.aml for your cpu with any kind of script?

I can tell you out of my experience with lenovo products, that it make no sence to switch optimus of with any kind of method in dsdt. To turn the switchable gfx off in bios is the correct method.

I have tried to switch Optimus off at an E330 with dsdt.aml. With this method only boot time got longer. Try to extract a dsdt.dsl with DSDT Editor and look, if there is any kind of peg device. If you have no such device in your dsdt.aml and no peg device is added during boot by bios, then your method to switch in bios to internal gfx is correct.

I have read in some posts, that clover has or had problems with wake, sleep restart. Perhaps clover infects your pstates in turbo region after sleep.

You have told in your post #3, that you have attached ACPI tables. But they are not there.

Have fun.

I can tell you out of my experience with lenovo products, that it make no sence to switch optimus of with any kind of method in dsdt. To turn the switchable gfx off in bios is the correct method.

I have tried to switch Optimus off at an E330 with dsdt.aml. With this method only boot time got longer. Try to extract a dsdt.dsl with DSDT Editor and look, if there is any kind of peg device. If you have no such device in your dsdt.aml and no peg device is added during boot by bios, then your method to switch in bios to internal gfx is correct.

I have read in some posts, that clover has or had problems with wake, sleep restart. Perhaps clover infects your pstates in turbo region after sleep.

You have told in your post #3, that you have attached ACPI tables. But they are not there.

Have fun.

Thx. It is really helpful.

I tried to turn on Optimus and let dropssdt = false. And the _off method appears in my ssdt!! But like what u said, adding off method into my dsdt does do the job, but make booting time and wake time much longer (at least 1 min). Maybe I will try to do some optimization later on but not sure if that will work. But at least this method solved the turbo states problem for now. Have no idea why GPU can affect CPU speedstep, is it because the Optimus technology?

Another interesting point is that after using off method, the CPU power drops again from 5w to as low as 2W. However, the battery life decreases from 4hrs to 3hrs compared disable optimus directly in BIOS. So confused.

Have fun.

This is my _OFF method:

Method (_OFF, 0, Serialized)
                {
                    Store (VGAR, VGAB)
                    Store (One, LNKD)
                    While (LNotEqual (LNKS, Zero))
                    {
                        Sleep (One)
                    }

Store (Zero, GO50)
                    Store (Zero, GO54)
                    Store (Zero, ^^^LPCB.EC0.NVPR)
                    Return (Zero)
                }

I found that boot/wake delay is actually caused by  the While loop. But if I delete the loop, my computer won't wake from sleep (black display) although boot time is normal.

OK, problem solved!

As I mentioned in the previous post, the while loop will cause dramatic delay to booting and waking the computer, when Optimus enabled. So I simply disable Optimus in BIOS and also delete while loop. And guess what, problem solved!! CPU power and turbo back to normal. Battery life is fine, too!  :thumbsup_anim: