From Humble Beginnings -- Custom build PC with Hackintosh

Weltkanzler

12 posts in this topic

Okay, so I bought a custom PC and put Windows on it ages back, but I want to dualboot with OS X for the heck of it (and to get back some applications that are Mac-exclusive that I miss a ton).

So I'm curious if my PC has support for Mavericks at the moment, and what methods I should follow. I haven't really been part of the Hackintosh scene since I was playing with it back in the earlier days (OS X Tiger, anyone? :3)

I'll post my system specs momentarily.

Motherboard is an ASUS,
BIOS is American Megatrends 1502, 2012-11-09

SMBIOS version is 2.7

BIOS Mode is Legacy
Processor is Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

16GB of RAM (really high quality stuff)
GeForce GTX650Ti 1GB, running at 1920x1080

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

Disk I'm planning on putting OS X is SATA 3.0Gb/s.

Specs are fine. Powerppc programs are not running anymore. Rosetta has been cancled with 10.7. You can follow this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/ For making an usb installer you can try this tool: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/11-pandoraapp/ The link to the guide, how to use this tool, is on the linked downloadpage.

Welcome and have fun.

Thank you for your guidelines, I've followed them with a degree of success up to the booting of the installer.

l_g6t_jpg.jpg

When trying to bootup the installer (on a 20GB partition on an external hard disk), it throws this panic at me when I boot. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext is the issue, but I don't know how to fix it... exactly.

Asus P8Z77 motherboard?

Patch your BIOS with PMPatch for compatibility with native CPU power management:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-pmpatch-uefi-patching-utility/

There's also a way to patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext if you don't want to (or can't) patch your BIOS.

Or, the not recommended method, you can use nullcpupm.kext to block CPU power management from working at all.

I've made so much progress, but I'm hitting a small snag after installation. When I boot it up for the first time (after fixing some KP problems with missing kexts), the screen is black. It goes through verbose boot, then cuts to black, and my monitor kicks into standby, meaning there's no video signal being sent.

I'm not sure what the problem is here, or how to fix it.

Try booting with the flags: GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1

Oh my god, you're the best, man! I've got Desktop and it works great!

However, my ethernet card does not. I haven't had the chance to google some info on it yet. I did set "Built-in Ethernet" in Chameleon Wizard, but uh -- No such luck.

That, and Chameleon won't let me boot to Windows. When I boot from Chameleon, it tells me that BOOTMGR is missing, but when I tell my BIOS to directly boot from SSD, it immediately boots to Windows.

You should make as fare as possible make your system fully smooth running.Then you could give Clover a try to get able to dualboot in UEFI mode.

For your ethernet try the attached kext.

Copy over IONetworking.kext from S/L/E to your desktop and copy the AppleRTL....kext in it´s plugin folder. Reinstall the kext by making a backup of original one to S/L/E by using your preffered kext utility. Repair permissons and reboot with flags -f v. I think, that this should do the trick.

Have fun.

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.zip

and Chameleon won't let me boot to Windows. When I boot from Chameleon, it tells me that BOOTMGR is missing, but when I tell my BIOS to directly boot from SSD, it immediately boots to Windows.

Windows often installs its boot files on a partition called System Reserved.  Look in Chameleon for System Reserved and if found, boot it in order to boot Windows.

HDMI Audio:  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292999-mavericks-applehda-hdmi-audio/

I just went through the fix for the bootmgr missing error when boot into windows this weekend. You have the option of removing the system reserved partition all together like I did. That requires booting up with the windows install cd, pressing shift F10 and using diskpart to set the windows partition as active, then running the repair feature of the install cd, and choosing startup repair, windows install cd recognizes the issue and writes a new boot loader onto the partition. You can think of it like a fresh OSX install that hasn't had the chameleon boot loader written yet.

I just went through the fix for the bootmgr missing error when boot into windows this weekend. You have the option of removing the system reserved partition all together like I did. That requires booting up with the windows install cd, pressing shift F10 and using diskpart to set the windows partition as active, then running the repair feature of the install cd, and choosing startup repair, windows install cd recognizes the issue and writes a new boot loader onto the partition. You can think of it like a fresh OSX install that hasn't had the chameleon boot loader written yet.

But Windows 8.1 doesn't have an install CD. It's deployed via MS Store.