Intel HD4000 only works after sleep

Bo21

6 posts in this topic

I have stumbled upon a strange behavior that I haven't seen explained anywhere, but hopefully someone can help explain or even help me solve the problem :-)

I use an Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard with an Intel i3770K processor and use the internal HD4000 graphics processor.  The display is using the Display Port.

I have had lots of trouble getting the system to boot, but after using Chameleon 2.2 svn r2266 it kinda works. The thing is that when I boot, the screen goes to black and the hard drive continues to work for some time and eventually stops. I discovered that the machine will eventually go to sleep, and when I wake it up, the desktop appears on the screen in high resolution, and everything seems to be working. 

My solution so far is to set the computer and display to sleep after 1 minute.

I have tried several things to make it work without having the machine go to sleep, including setting IntelCapriFB to all values between 0 and 11, but either the values make the machine non bootable, or they provide the same behavior as explained. I have never seen a scrambled display using either of these values as others have reported.

Does anyone have a good explanation why the display only works after sleep, and can someone help me get this fixed?

WOW! I have the same graphics card and exactly the same issue :)

I'm trying to get OSX running on a Lenovo IdeaPad S400 Laptop.

I reach the setup wizard but I can only see it using an external HDMI screen. The image is all distorted.

So here's what I did. I cloned my MacBook's HDD into an external HDD, its a bootable clone.

I booted the clone using Chimera and this flags: -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes EHCIacquire=Yes

Incredibly OS X boots perfectly and I see my desktop (distorted). So I go on and put it to sleep, then wake it up and get a perfect image.

The only ploblem is that after waking it up the USB controller seems to halt and the computer freezes, I can still move the mouse and stuff but I get an eternal spinning cursor.

So, two weird behaviors here... 1. the sleep/wake up thing to make the image look ok, and 2. a vanilla instalation booting just like that?

FYI, it's Mavericks.

WOW! I have the same graphics card and exactly the same issue :)

I'm trying to get OSX running on a Lenovo IdeaPad S400 Laptop.

I reach the setup wizard but I can only see it using an external HDMI screen. The image is all distorted.

So here's what I did. I cloned my MacBook's HDD into an external HDD, its a bootable clone.

I booted the clone using Chimera and this flags: -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes EHCIacquire=Yes

Incredibly OS X boots perfectly and I see my desktop (distorted). So I go on and put it to sleep, then wake it up and get a perfect image.

The only ploblem is that after waking it up the USB controller seems to halt and the computer freezes, I can still move the mouse and stuff but I get an eternal spinning cursor.

So, two weird behaviors here... 1. the sleep/wake up thing to make the image look ok, and 2. a vanilla instalation booting just like that?

FYI, it's Mavericks.

Chimera is not supported here. If you have problems with it, please ask on it´s developer platform or the developers themthelves.

Please read this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/ and this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/275941-very-important-please-read-about-tonymacx86/

You can get here in Downloads Chameleon or Enoch bootloader. I suggest to use them, to get rid of your problems. You have to try the IG´s for Capri. Try all, preffered IG 3 or 4 should do the trick.

Have fun, no harm meant.

Chimera is not supported here. If you have problems with it, please ask on it´s developer platform or the developers themthelves.

Please read this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/ and this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/275941-very-important-please-read-about-tonymacx86/

You can get here in Downloads Chameleon or Enoch bootloader. I suggest to use them, to get rid of your problems. You have to try the IG´s for Capri. Try all, preffered IG 3 or 4 should do the trick.

Have fun, no harm meant.

Hi styrian,

I know your answer was for santibur06, as you can read from my post I do in fact use Chameleon. However it seems that santibur06s problem is the same as mine.

Btw. santibur06, great to know I'm not the only one, that makes it even more possible that we will find a solution to this. I haven't seen your second problem on my machine and I think they are not related.

Now I have tried setting IntelCapriFB to all values ranging from 0 to 11, with no success. I find it really strange that the display works perfectly when the machine has been awaken from sleep. I run with a resolution of 2560x1440 and I guess I have full acceleration, because youtube runs smoothly, even in full screen and there are no artifacts. 

If only it would work from boot :-)

Amazing carbo178!

Setting 'Graphics Mode' in org.chameleon.boot.plist to 2560x1440x32 (my native screen resolution) was all that was needed to fix the problem!

I actually haven't paid much attention to 'Graphics Mode', as I falsely assumed that it was only used during boot to display graphics. I have tried different values (1920x1080 for instance), but I guess it was crucial that the native screen resolution was used. 

I didn't even have to set a specific value for the IntelCapriFB parameter, just kept the GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Thank you thank you thank you!