Dell Inspiron 1520- Installing Mavericks on ?

Turaiel

45 posts in this topic

Are you using the org.chameleon.boot.plist that was provided in the Essential package? It specifies some options like GraphicsEnabler=Yes that you might need initially. Also, you can use the terminal on the install USB to copy any kexts you might need, though now that I think about it, I didn't add any additional kexts until I had a working install. My suggestion right now is to use the DSDT and Chameleon settings provided.

I'm not sure Turaiel - just finally booted into graphics successfully after 20x tries :) I've copied over FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext (which are the only ones on my USB at the moment). I'll try rebooting now and see if I can actually get into OS X :)

Edit 1: Success! Wi-Fi works out of the box, which is nice, and the graphics look fine. CPU is only being read as being 1.1 GHz but I assume that isn't an issue? Haven't used any XPS kexts as of yet - any suggestions?

IMG_20131128_222607.jpg

Edit 2: OK, installed kexts for audio (VoodooHDA) and battery (VoodooBattery); all else seems to be working fine out of the box. Rad.

Edit 1: Success! Wi-Fi works out of the box, which is nice, and the graphics look fine. CPU is only being read as being 1.1 GHz but I assume that isn't an issue? Haven't used any XPS kexts as of yet - any suggestions?

Edit 2: OK, installed kexts for audio (VoodooHDA) and battery (VoodooBattery); all else seems to be working fine out of the box. Rad.

Good job :) .

There is a bug in the latest chameleon (invalid multipliers used) that causes the incorrect CPU frequency reading.  Bungo on the chameleon main thread has fixed it in this post.

After replacing the hidden chameleon boot file in the root folder with the one provided by Bungo, the "about this mac" screen now reports my CPU correctly @2.49GHz instead of 4.3GHz.

FYI my post install setup for the XPSm1530 uses ACPIBatteryManager.kext, replacing AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.

For ethernet you will need AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext from here and add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>max_valid_dma_addr=1024</string>

to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist (eg using a text editor).

PS I'm pretty sure that your black screen issues were related to not having an org.chameleon.Boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (if you used the DSDT without nVidia injection).  You've somehow managed to toggle it back on during your rebooting attempts but safer to have it permanently for each boot :).

Ideally, the DSDT should be patched from its native state as per immo's DSDT thread using DSDT Editor.

Thanks Fusion and Turaiel! :) 

Good job :) .

There is a bug in the latest chameleon (invalid multipliers used) that causes the incorrect CPU frequency reading.  Bungo on the chameleon main thread has fixed it in this post.

After replacing the hidden chameleon boot file in the root folder with the one provided by Bungo, the "about this mac" screen now reports my CPU correctly @2.49GHz instead of 4.3GHz.

FYI my post install setup for the XPSm1530 uses ACPIBatteryManager.kext, replacing AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.

For ethernet you will need AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext from here and add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Ideally, the DSDT should be patched from its native state as per immo's DSDT thread using DSDT Editor.  It looks like Turaiel's CPU is slightly different to yours (2.0GHz vs 2.2GHz)- may or may not cause problems in your machine.

I've replaced the boot file. On subsequent boots it reported 2 GHz anyway, but I'm sure this won't hurt. I don't currently have an org.chameleon.Boot.plist and I don't ever use Ethernet, so I'm tempted to leave it for now.

The DSDT editing looks incredibly complex compared to what I've done so far - is that indeed the case? If I keep my system as it is, should I have any issues?

Thanks Fusion and Turaiel! :)

I've replaced the boot file. On subsequent boots it reported 2 GHz anyway, but I'm sure this won't hurt. I don't currently have an org.chameleon.Boot.plist and I don't ever use Ethernet, so I'm tempted to leave it for now.

The DSDT editing looks incredibly complex compared to what I've done so far - is that indeed the case? If I keep my system as it is, should I have any issues?

The org.chameleon.Boot.plist can be a very simple one & you can use chameleon wizard to edit it:  I use GUI, Instant Menu, Ethernet Built In, Generate P & C States and Graphics Enabler ticked.  The Restart Fix is ticked by default.  Use Kernel Cache can speed up the boot process but I recommend only ticking once you have the system stable & all kexts working.  In the modules section, install FileNVRAM.dylib module to enable iMessage.

Chameleon Wizard can also be used to generate a unique "Macbook Pro 5.1" SMBIOS.plist with serial number.  This helps speed step to work properly and enables Appstore etc.

Re DSDT- You can try applying the recommended/compulsory patches from immo's DSDT thread to your own native DSDT (DSDT editor can be used in Windows or Linux to extract the native DSDT: File-->Extract DSDT):

• HPET
  • DTGP Method
  • IRQs to fix USB Devices Randomly Not Working
  • USB patch to fix sleep
  • PCI Patch
  • RTC Patch
  • SMBUS patch

I don't profess to be a DSDT expert but it is actually not that hard to apply the DSDT edits through simple cut and pasting in DSDT Editor.  Simply search for a particular string eg "USB1" to find where to paste eg the USB patch to fix sleep.

DSDT Editor can also apply patches automatically.  It has an included patches folder for Core2 ICH8 Notebooks (applicable to inspiron 1520) with some common edits.  Open each patch, preview/apply to your native DSDT, compile & fix errors, save as aml. 

The real geniuses are the ones that come up with the patches and understand what they mean :) .

If it is currently working well, make sure to clone the install and/or run a Time Machine backup to an external USB hard drive.  That way, you can make changes safely to the "experimental" partition....

Thanks a ton for that ethernet kext; works like a charm. I'm making those changes to my org.chameleon.boot.plist as well.

Also, I don't recommend using GraphicsEnabler=No, since it results in a black screen at startup for me.

Lastly, I'm using MacBookPro6,1 for my SMBios. I also have to regenerate my serial so that I can use the app store.

Edit: turned out that I had to delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Boot times are already ~10 seconds so I think I'll leave it for now ;) Also, the app store seems to work fine (although I've only downloaded previously purchased apps, haven't tested installing/buying new apps)

As long as you can sign in to the App Store, you're fine. Sometimes signing in results in "An unknown error occurred"

• Like 1

Hey guys, great to see such progress has been made with the Dell Inspiron 1520.

Bellow is lspci -nn ran with Ubuntu, I've come to a stumbling block trying get wifi / ethernet working.
Having two PCI-E cards, the one showing below Atheros 5001 / Atheros5007eg and also a Dell 1525 WiFi Card BCM94312MCG BRCM1028.

Does anyone have any ideas which one will perform best, or know how to get either of them working?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Tried following this rebranding guide but failed http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/121293-rebranding-broadcom-based-80211bgn-cards/?p=863983&do=findComment&comment=863983
EDIT 2: Tried the following Kext from this guide for the broadcom mini pci-e card. - No avail, showed ethernet as connected without an ip whether it was connected or not.
EDIT 3: Thought i really had something http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/60380-bcm94312-dell-dw-1397-wireless-card-kext-needed.html but turns my wifi on but doesn't allow me to get passed security.
Hope it helps someone.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a00] (rev 0c)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port [8086:2a01] (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2834] (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2835] (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:283a] (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:283f] (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:2841] (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 [8086:2845] (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2830] (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2831] (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2832] (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:2836] (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller [8086:2815] (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller [8086:2850] (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller [8086:2828] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:283e] (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT] [10de:0407] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller [1180:0832] (rev 05)
03:01.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter [1180:0822] (rev 22)
03:01.2 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter [1180:0592] (rev 12)
03:01.3 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller [1180:0852] (rev 12)
0c:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)

Hey guys, great to see such progress has been made with the Dell Inspiron 1520.

Bellow is lspci -nn ran with Ubuntu, I've come to a stumbling block trying get wifi / ethernet working.

Having two PCI-E cards, the one showing below Atheros 5001 / Atheros5007eg and also a Dell 1525 WiFi Card BCM94312MCG BRCM1028.

Does anyone have any ideas which one will perform best, or know how to get either of them working?

Unfortunately both the AR5001 and BCM4312 seem to be having issues in Mavericks.  The only workaround reported is by turning off encryption on your router or this convoluted procedure by alexanderq.

I've read from user reports that AR5B91, BCM4321 and BCM4328 work well in Mavericks.

Re ethernet: you will need AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext from here and add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

• Like 1

Unfortunately both the AR5001 and BCM94312 seem to be having issues in Mavericks.  The only workaround reported is by turning off encryption on your router or this convoluted procedure by alexanderq.

I've read from user reports that AR5B91, BCM94321 and BCM4328 work well in Mavericks.

For clarity

0d:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Okay yeah you meant this one. :/

Well thanks for the info! I have a non broadcasted Wifi BSSID, I should be able to connect to this right?

Anyway of getting Ethernet working?

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT!-  I managed to do it! Like you said the one with wpa doesn't connect etc.. but my NON BROADCASTED unsecure network *guest worked a treat!!!

All I had to do was click 'Join Other Network...' and BLAM! Typed the name of my hidden guest wifi broadcast and away I went!  This is with great pleasure!

• 1 month later...

Hi could you make a zip of the kexts you used and worked so it'l be easy for some of us less experienced people to move ahead? Or link them directly?

I have a vostro 1400 with almost the same config.  I have Lion running on it wiht external wifi card you can get for less than 10$ (Ralink RT5370 with antenna)

Would appreciate your help. Thanks.

I don't have access to the laptop at the moment (I leave it at work in another city), but I've only used kexts linked in this thread. I believe, from re-reading my earlier posts, that I merely used VoodooHDA and VoodooBattery from the XPS zip, plus  FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext from the initial install instructions.

From #2: Mavericks GM Essential (used kernel, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, and Chameleon)

From #4: XPS M1530 kexts (I think I installed all of them except the ones I got from the Essential package)

See post #15 for DSDT (probably won't work on other models than Inspiron 1520)

See post #29 for ethernet.
Wifi is still non-functional for any WPA2 Enterprise networks (maybe PSK as well?)

I unfortunately lost my Chameleon configuration and SMBIOS somehow, but you can find which options I used by reading through the thread.

Thank you for the information contained here instructions and explanations. Put on your laptop Maverick, almost all the working device, sleep, speedstep. However, there are a number of questions: closed card reader, a problem with the LPC driver what is not activated C State (maybe because of the Bluetooth). May high processor temperature is about 45-55 Celsius. What better use DSDT, can anyone share and put it here. Installed on the SSD boot time is about 20 sec. Wakes up instantly. Sorry for my English, I am Russian.

• 2 months later...

How did you get your sound to work? I have everything working but the sound and I have no idea how to fix it.

EDIT: I figured it out 2 minutes after posting this here. Just copied the xps m1530 AppleHDADisabler and the Voodoo2HDA into S/L/E. Works perfectly. Thanks for making this thread so useful!

• 1 month later...

If somebody do that pls let me know.

I'm using dell inspiron 1520 to

T9300

8600GT

sigma 9205 for audio

Dell 1395 Wlan mini

965PM chipset

I used iAtkos 10.5.6 like 2 years but after that I have to back windows again.

Last weekend I try nerish 10.9.0 but I couldn't reach install screen.