Dell Inspiron 1520- Installing Mavericks on ?

Turaiel

45 posts in this topic

I've got an Inspiron 1520 that I'd like to install Mavericks on. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue as to how to go about that.

I currently have Lion installed on it, but I followed a tutorial that provided a collection of modified Lion kexts, and scripts to inject them into the installer image. Since this isn't Lion, and the Mavericks ESD is rearranged from how the Lion guide described it, that guide is not useful now. All I have to work with is the App Store installer and a DSDT for the machine, which is here (thanks to LatinMcG).

Here are my specs:

Processor: 2.01 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB

Ethernet: 14e4:1028

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (256 MB) 10de:0407

Can anyone help me out on getting started with this? Any help is appreciated.

Solution: See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294153-dell-inspiron-1520-installing-mavericks-on/?p=1992382 for a summary of the solution, though I recommend you read the whole thread.

I have an XPSm1530 and made a short post on how I installed Mavericks on my machine here based on the all in one Vanilla OSX Guide .  Since the hardware specs are similar, the install procedure and kexts should be basically the same but use your own dsdt (the ones that worked in ML10.8.5 certainly worked in Mavericks http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-70?do=findComment&comment=1950374 ).

In the same thread, Indiandragon reports a successful install of Mavericks on his Inspiron 1520. He uses AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext & patched AppleHDA instead of VoodooPS2Controller.kext & VoodooHDA.kextThe Inspiron 1520 did not require a rollback of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in Mavericks. 

• Like 2

I tried to follow the guide and booted with -v -f, but it kept displaying messages about a transaction taking longer than 5000 milliseconds, and eventually showed "disk1s2: media not present" repeatedly until I powered it down.

I didn't get those kexts you used added, because I didn't know where to get them or how to patch them. Do you mind helping me out?

EDIT: Going to try to use my old /Extras from Lion

Am I right in assuming your BIOS is A09 which is considered the latest version?

Yep.

I tried to follow the guide and booted with -v -f, but it kept displaying messages about a transaction taking longer than 5000 milliseconds, and eventually showed "disk1s2: media not present" repeatedly until I powered it down.

I didn't get those kexts you used added, because I didn't know where to get them or how to patch them. Do you mind helping me out?

EDIT: Going to try to use my old /Extras from Lion

Yep.

Firstly, I would recommend a clone or time machine backup of your Lion install onto another external USB hard drive in case anything goes wrong.  Is your USB installer booting to the graphical installer stage?   Did you create just a single partition on the install USB formatted mbr?  The error means it can't find the second partition on a disk (can you post screenshot of the error?).  There is no need to patch any kexts at this stage.

The kexts are in DarwinX's post #1388 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=129344 .  For the installer, you only need to add FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext to System/Library/Extensions folder of the install USB.  Install Chameleon 2.2 r2266 into the USB and make sure that the mach kernel is on the root as per the all in one guide.

Use your old /Extra folder from Lion (including smbios & org.chameleon.boot.plist & DSDT) and copy onto the install USB.

• Like 1

Firstly, I would recommend a clone or time machine backup of your Lion install onto another external USB hard drive in case anything goes wrong.  Is your USB installer booting to the graphical installer stage?   Did you create just a single partition on the install USB formatted mbr?  The error means it can't find the second partition on a disk (can you post screenshot of the error?).  There is no need to patch any kexts at this stage.

The kexts are in DarwinX's post #1388 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=129344 .  For the installer, you only need to add FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext to System/Library/Extensions folder of the install USB.  Install Chameleon 2.2 r2266 into the USB and make sure that the mach kernel is on the root as per the all in one guide.

Use your old /Extra folder from Lion (including smbios & org.chameleon.boot.plist & DSDT) and copy onto the install USB.

I actually formatted it GUID. I'll try again with MBR, this time only adding the kexts you mentioned and my /Extra folder. Should I keep the /Extra/Extensions? I think I also made the mistake of letting Kext Utility repair permissions on S/L/E, and since I forgot to make the filesystem journaled, I couldn't fix it. Wish me luck!

UPDATE: I got it to boot to the installer! Unfortunately, shortly after it started installing, it froze. Not sure where I should go from here. :/

UPDATE 2: Can't boot after that... more fun with transactions past the completion deadline (image attached)

UPDATE 3: Got it to start the installer again, but it froze at a different point. I'm wondering if this is related to the problem that causes the transaction thing. It does seem to happen at random times.

don't forget ahci in bios if supported

It is, but thanks for mentioning!

post-963367-0-71334400-1385366514_thumb.jpg

I actually formatted it GUID. I'll try again with MBR, this time only adding the kexts you mentioned and my /Extra folder. Should I keep the /Extra/Extensions? I think I also made the mistake of letting Kext Utility repair permissions on S/L/E, and since I forgot to make the filesystem journaled, I couldn't fix it. Wish me luck!

UPDATE: I got it to boot to the installer! Unfortunately, shortly after it started installing, it froze. Not sure where I should go from here. :/

UPDATE 2: Can't boot after that... more fun with transactions past the completion deadline (image attached)

UPDATE 3: Got it to start the installer again, but it froze at a different point. I'm wondering if this is related to the problem that causes the transaction thing. It does seem to happen at random times.

It is, but thanks for mentioning!

You can get rid of the /Extra/Extensions folder.  The /Extra folder should only contain Themes and modules folders, DSDT.aml, smbios.plist & org.chameleon.boot.plist.

Make sure your install USB is directly connected to your laptop's USB port and disconnect any USB hubs.  If still having problems, connect to a different USB port on the computer.

Also remember to boot with -v & -f flags.

There weren't any error messages in the installer. The system just completely locked up. When they happen during the text portion of the boot, I get the error message in my screenshot from my previous post a few times, followed by "media not present" repeatedly.

Update: I tried to install from the hard disk by making the installer partition on it, and using the flash drive's Chameleon to boot. It booted fine from the disk, but the installer froze again. Ideas?

There weren't any error messages in the installer. The system just completely locked up. When they happen during the text portion of the boot, I get the error message in my screenshot from my previous post a few times, followed by "media not present" repeatedly.

Update: I tried to install from the hard disk by making the installer partition on it, and using the flash drive's Chameleon to boot. It booted fine from the disk, but the installer froze again. Ideas?

Just for clarification, do you ever get to the graphical portion of the installer where you choose language, the partition to install to etc?

Did you have any problems in Lion with USB ports or your hard disk?  Can you run disk verification/repair with disk utility on your hard drive & USB?

Check the MD5 and SHA1 on your Appstore installer download to see if it is corrupted http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1658909 .

Edit:  If you have done the above and confirmed the integrity of your download & disks and still have freezing you can try (one by one)

• Replacing your dsdt with the dsdt file attached below.  Your dsdt from the first post lacks an SMBus section so I patched it with a simplified SMBUS patch that hopefully fixes the SMBuspci error.
  • replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext with regressed versions from 10.8.4 kexts.zip from this post by sampledi --->place in /S/L/E folder of the installer using kext wizard (make copies of original first).  Some users have reported "disappearing hard drives" and freezing in Mavericks fixed by rolling back these kexts.

1520FixedSMBUS.zip

Thanks for the feedback.

I am generally getting about three minutes into the installation when the machine hard freezes. It ranges between 23 and 18 minutes remaining when it occurs.

The hard disk and the USB drives are healthy as well. I'll check the integrity of the app I have and report back once that's done.

Update: Hashes matched. I replaced the DSDT on my install flash drive, so we'll see if that helps.

Update 2: It installed successfully! In the end I wound up using FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (both from the vanilla OS X guide), the VoodooPS2Controller.kext that you suggested, and the DSDT that you attached. Now I get to see if I can get the installed copy to work, so back to the guide for me. I'll wait until then to mark this thread solved.

Update 3: Copied the kexts to the new install, and booting to it using the flash drive's Chameleon. Looks like it doesn't want to work now. Screenshot attached.

Update 4: Looks like I accidentally copied the contents of the kexts instead of the container. That sneaky trailing slash on the command got me again. I moved the kexts in there properly from my Lion install and I'm repairing permissions on the disk. That SHOULD fix the issue, but we'll see.

Update 5: I was able to boot properly with -v -f after I fixed the kexts. I also added all the kexts from the XPS, which got some of the non-functional hardware working. I'm working on finding kexts to use for at least ethernet and wifi, and we'll go from there. Also, any idea how to get it to power down when I shut it down?

post-963367-0-09075700-1385448168_thumb.jpg

Good job on getting it working :)

You'll find that the Intel wireless cards won't work with OSX, regardless of any kexts.  The ones supported natively by OSX and recognised as "Airport"  tend to be Broadcom (if you're lucky, you may have a Dell TrueMobile 1505) or Atheros chipset based cards (see DarwinX's post).

Personally I have an asus N10 wireless USB that works well in Mavericks but this needs to be activated with its own wireless utility app.

I have a compatible wireless card. It's a BCM4312. It works perfectly in Lion, but it won't authenticate with the network on Mavericks. Maybe I should copy the kexts over. Also, trying to use the System Info app to check compatibility isn't working at all.

Any ideas on the shutdown issues though?

The first thing to ensure native power management and shutdown is to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /S/L/E.

For shutdown on the XPSm1530, the dsdt has to be patched with the SHUTDOWN FIX as described here It may or may not work on the Inspiron 1520 and I don't know all the modifications made by LatinMcG to your original native dsdt (best to ask him or Indiandragon in the XPSm1530 DSDT thread).

Try and do it yourself first with DSDT editor and patcher on the 1520FixedSMBUS.aml I provided above (its a learning excerise :) )

Hint: Have a look at Indian Dragon's DSDT from this post and LatinMcG's here. Look below if you want to cheat :ninja:

PS
SystemInfo app being from an "unknown developer" needs to be authorised by changing the Security & Privacy Settings in System Preferences to "Anywhere". It also needs an internet connection to work (since it retrieves info from a central database).

Have a look at this guide for rebranding broadcom cards as Airport Extreme. This way, you won't have to rely on patched IO80211Family kexts (these have to be continually updated with OSX updates eg the one here is reported working in ML but not with encryption in Mavericks).

1520FixedSMBUS_Shutdown.zip

Hey guys! I'm just about to embark on installing Mac OS X on my Inspiron 1520, so I'm heartened to see reports of success with Mavericks. Do I need to install an earlier version of OS X first, or can I install Mavericks directly? Furthermore, which files (out of the ones posted) should I be using? :)

Hey guys! I'm just about to embark on installing Mac OS X on my Inspiron 1520, so I'm heartened to see reports of success with Mavericks. Do I need to install an earlier version of OS X first, or can I install Mavericks directly? Furthermore, which files (out of the ones posted) should I be using? :)

You should be able to install Mavericks directly if you have another machine running OS X to modify the installer and such. This post lists all of the files I've used so far (though I removed NullCPUPowerManagement).

Hint: Have a look at Indian Dragon's DSDT from this post and LatinMcG's here. Look below if you want to cheat :ninja:

Have a look at this guide for rebranding broadcom cards as Airport Extreme. This way, you won't have to rely on patched IO80211Family kexts (these have to be continually updated with OSX updates eg the one here is reported working in ML but not with encryption in Mavericks).

Well, I tried it myself and it complained that PMRS and SLPE were already defined (and the error wasn't on a line that I edited), so I just used the one you provided. Unfortunately, it didn't help. The machine still stays powered on when I shut it down.

I'll work on rebranding the card next.

Update: Looks like rebranding isn't happening. I tried to run "ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy -P," but I got "Illegal value for sprom_rev"

Well, I tried it myself and it complained that PMRS and SLPE were already defined (and the error wasn't on a line that I edited), so I just used the one you provided. Unfortunately, it didn't help. The machine still stays powered on when I shut it down.

I'll work on rebranding the card next.

Update: Looks like rebranding isn't happening. I tried to run "ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy -P," but I got "Illegal value for sprom_rev"

Try GraphicsEnabler=No in org.chameleon.boot.plist and add nVidia injection into the DSDT (attached).  The original DSDT provided to you by LatinMcG (which I have added the SMBus patch and Shutdown fix in post#15) does not have nVidia Graphics injection, hence only works with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Apparently shutdown problems in the Inspiron 1520 are related to the nVidia injection using GraphicsEnabler=Yes.  LatinMcG suggested applying the nVidia injection in his DSDT in this post and setting GE=No.

1520Fixed_SMBUS_Shutdown_NVidia.zip

Unless you manage a miracle fix like some people find, you have to power the computer off with the power button.  I've been doing that with my Vostro 1700 with 8600M GT since Leopard, I haven't found any way to fix it with all my reading.

Unless you manage a miracle fix like some people find, you have to power the computer off with the power button.  I've been doing that with my Vostro 1700 with 8600M GT since Leopard, I haven't found any way to fix it with all my reading.

+1

Shutdown can be a very tricky business and it is the luck of the draw most of the time.  The XPSm1530 works but apparently it does "NOT work for some models with NVIDIA Video like M1330 and Vostro 1500 and inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 and a few others" -LatinMcG.

Besides trying each of the DSDT fixes in the DSDT thread I linked, and minimizing the use of kexts to what you absolutely need ie no sleep enabler, restart enabler no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, I really don't have any further suggestions :(

I recommend asking LatinMcG (reports not working for him either here) or IndianDragon in the above thread as they have the same machine as you.  Ask if shutdown worked for them and how they did it.

So I followed the vanilla directions to install OS X, and now I'm at the stage where I need to copy the kexts by booting into the installation USB once again (step 3.1 on the vanilla guide).. but now, for some reason, after the initial flurry of text, I just get a black screen that lasts for at least half an hour (as long as I've cared to wait thus far). Any ideas on how I can get past this?

I'm really confused as to why booting from the USB would work fine to install, but then not work the next time I came to boot from it...

Edit: I've tried with -v -f half a dozen times and -v only once, and nothing seems to work... Get no particularly alarming messages during boot, then just black screen + fans on forever. The only thing that's changed (I think) is that the harddrive being mounted is now Mac formatted instead of the Windows malarky that was on there before... and surely that shouldn't be an issue? :)

So I followed the vanilla directions to install OS X, and now I'm at the stage where I need to copy the kexts by booting into the installation USB once again (step 3.1 on the vanilla guide).. but now, for some reason, after the initial flurry of text, I just get a black screen that lasts for at least half an hour (as long as I've cared to wait thus far). Any ideas on how I can get past this?

I'm really confused as to why booting from the USB would work fine to install, but then not work the next time I came to boot from it...

Edit: I've tried with -v -f half a dozen times and -v only once, and nothing seems to work... Get no particularly alarming messages during boot, then just black screen + fans on forever. The only thing that's changed (I think) is that the harddrive being mounted is now Mac formatted instead of the Windows malarky that was on there before... and surely that shouldn't be an issue? :)

Which of the kexts did you copy onto the installation? You'll probably need some of the XPS kexts in order to get a lot of the devices working properly.

Which of the kexts did you copy onto the installation? You'll probably need some of the XPS kexts in order to get a lot of the devices working properly.

cannot copy any kexts onto the installation, as I get a black screen upon booting the USB (which worked fine to install, but now appears to not work somehow). Currently, I have only SMBios.plist and DSDT.aml in Extra/ and FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext in System / Library / Extensions /

Edit: Any recommendations for anything else that should be on that USB? And/or which kexts to use from the XPS .zip? :D

Edit 2: I've got 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 2.5 GB RAM, Nvidia 8600M GT and a Crucial M4 SSD, if that matters :)