Strange problem with inserting media in slot loading drive

frankiee

7 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have a very strange problem with my slot loading blu-ray burner.

Bought as a Panasonic (but displayed as "mat{censored}a") UJ265, and it should be compatible with OS X (quite some mac users had success using it as an external drive at least). However, the drive seems to be regognized, but is kinda "grayed out" in Disk Utility. If I try to insert a disc, the loading machanism simply does not pull in the media no matter how far I push it into the drive. In windows, the drive works OK, so it seems not to be the hardware.

Now, it gets even more strange if I put some media into the drive while being booted in windows, and then boot into OS X (with the media still in the drive).  Then, the disc is being ejected when coming to the login screen. Afterwards, the drive just starts loading my media like in windows! Also eject works, like reinserting does. So, it seems that it is just the first time a disc is being inserted when these problems occur.

Any ideas how to solve this?

OK, at least I have found a better workaround, one that does not need to be booted in windows:

I can get the drive to load a disc if I open System Profiler beforehand, and select the "disk burning" tab. It takes a sec to recognize the burner, but after that it works like expected, and also seems to be able to burn sth (within the finder at least).

Think I can live with that, but still a strange behavior. Seems like there is something missing that "triggers" the drive corrctly in the first place. So if anybody has an idea what is causing this. I'd be still happy to hear!

Same (or at least similar) behaviour is observed with some Apple computers (both MacBooks Pro and iMacs). That is, the optical drive doesn't accept disks no matter what. Sometimes a reboot helps, sometimes accessing the drive via Burn application or Disk Utility (eject). Sometimes nothing helps (I remember dealing with an iMac with completely stuck ODD). Looks like OS X specific bug.

Unfortunately can't tell how to fix it.

• 9 months later...

I just wanted to thank you for your work-around. I had the same problem on the same Panasonic optical drive.  I found that, in addition to the System Profiler, you can also issue a "drutil list" from the command line (Terminal) to "wake up" the drive.  

I'm trying to decide if it's worth making a launchd plist that'll issue the command (and send the output to /dev/null) every few minutes.

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank you for your work-around. I had the same problem on the same Panasonic optical drive.  I found that, in addition to the System Profiler, you can also issue a "drutil list" from the command line (Terminal) to "wake up" the drive.  

I'm trying to decide if it's worth making a launchd plist that'll issue the command (and send the output to /dev/null) every few minutes.

Yes, that also seems to work. So why don't you just go ahead and try if you can get it to work "automatically" , at least you would have one additional user for your script ;)

• 1 year later...

Update: more or less by accident, I have found another way:

Define the Drive as "hot swappable" in BIOS. Then it always accepts new media without needing to use the tricks described above.

However, the Eject key does not work then, and after ejecting, there is an "Untitled" Disk Image Icon appearing in DU instead of the CD Icon that was there before.

Well, seems you cannot have everything ,)

Just FYI.