Asus P5Q-Pro - "kernel-_SYMTAB" not a kext

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Pike R. Alpha

Pike R. Alpha

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 280 posts

Thank you Pike R. I will tackle your suggestion forthwith.

Further to my last post I found that when I booted standalone I got the message "kernel patcher reentering" with a "hit any key to continue" message. Hitting a key the kexts continued to load and at about twenty three pages of kexts loading the screen halted on the voodooTSCsync.kext. System did not crash but it was frozen. I found that if I removed the kernel patcher module and deleted the voodooTSCsync.kext the system would boot and load without any need to hit any key but it crashed... Thus your suggestion has given new hope.

Instead of VoodooTSCsync.kext you can use 'TSC_sync_timer=0' (case sensitive/without the quotes) in com.apple.Boot.plist

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,284 posts

tscsync kext is actually patching tsc where tscsync_timer=0 is just ignoring it.. it would only work for him because he doesn't need tscsync to begin with.

Pike R. Alpha

Pike R. Alpha

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 280 posts

tscsync kext is actually patching tsc where tscsync_timer=0 is just ignoring it.. it would only work for him because he doesn't need tscsync to begin with.

Actually. The kext doesn't patch anything related to the TSC sync error. What it does is that it syncs cores within the Apple specified value of 0xfff (4096). Also. Other people in this forum, who needed the kext, already confirmed that the boot argument worked for them. Not to mention that the OP used the kext.

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,284 posts

Did you read that he removed the kext?

That command is intended for debug purposes and NO one should be using it for regular use. This command is simply telling the kernel to ignore any differences found in the tsc margin check on boot, basically an unknown cpu. It's still not using a value known to the kernel like the patched value set by Voodoo patches; kernel or kext. So if these other people here in the forum had a true tsc sync error which causes system instabilities, data corruption and eventual system panic they would have no choice but to use a voodoo type solution or cpus=1 command.

Pike R. Alpha

Pike R. Alpha

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 280 posts

Yes. He removed the kext – hence my use of the word "used". And this boot argument has absolutely nothing to do with being a debug argument and the error is in no way caused by your so called "unknown CPU". That is just not true. Not for someone who knows stuff.

p.s. Guys. The other people I referred to can be found in this forum, and they indeed had to use the kext, but no longer need it ;)

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Instead of VoodooTSCsync.kext you can use 'TSC_sync_timer=0' (case sensitive/without the quotes) in com.apple.Boot.plist

I edited the com.apple.Boot.plist as follows but not sure if I have placed your parameter in the right place. I found that when I deleted the tscsync kext and used this plist I was still unable to boot standalone.

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string>
TSC_sync_timer=0
</dict>
</plist>

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,284 posts

wasureppoi, i would suggest you ignore Pike R. Alphas posts and start by telling us what cpu you have and what exactly is happening with boot now.

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo Quad 6600 2.4 but I had this same problem with an earlier Core2 Duo. I have used CPU=1 too to no avail.

Presently I am still at square one. I have 2 differently installed  Mavericks dedicated drives but both will only run and load normally if selected from the menu of another drive that will boot in its own right... I will call this piggeybacking. If I try to run either drive as the default boot drive in bios then they invariably crash. This I call standalone. If I try to boot them without -f or -v then they will crash immediately. Flushiing cache or running verbose or in safe mode they will load pages and pages of kexts and amongst the numerous messages I note there is a failure to load "org.voodoo.driver.ps2contoller" but I cannot find this to delete it... Trying to use Console to inspect the various logs but whilst it is transparent in Lion seems more elusive in Mavericks. ..

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,284 posts

ok, at least now we can rule out any tsc problems because your cpu should not be a problem.

first thing you need to understand is that your "standalone" issues are related to your boot manager and not the os. if this install boots and runs fine with just needing to be booted from another drive or chameleon install that should be enough to tell you where the problem comes from. I have very similar hardware and have had none of the problems you mention. the main difference in our setups is i use clover, although i have booted with chameleon a few times for some tests and did see the same message about SYMTAB but it passed and booted normal each time. this was explained by meklort and shouldn't be a problem that stops boot. 

it sounds to me like you just have some cache problems and some unknown kexts. if you used MyHack at all you can check myhack kext plugins folder and there you might have some unneeded kexts. how did you install mavericks? you can try clover on a small usb and experiment with how that will boot for you. clover does involve some setup and learning about its functions.

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Thanks for bringing the boot manager into focus. On my  installations which I did through a usb stick I created I found at the outset that the installation would not boot at all ie black screen.. At least running chameleon I was able to activate the partition on the Mavericks drives so that they actually came up with a menu. I guess having achieved that I then mistakenly thought my problem lay with the (to me NEW) OS. I have not used Clover or MyHack but will let you know how I go.

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
..............clover does involve some setup and learning about its functions.

As you indicated a bit of a learning curve with Clover. Installed it on a Mavericks drive and rebooted as "standalone" but all that I got on the screen was as follows:

"boot1: /boot
  6"   That message then disappeared leaving a completely black screen. I am wondering if I need to create a drive with a special fat32 partition on it to house an ESP partition.

I will do as  you suggested and actually create another bootable USB and use Clover with that. Mmmm.... Just installing Clover on the pertinent drives not the shortcut to take. 

Nevertheless my beasts are still piggeybacking. Will persevere with the boot manager though.

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I accidentally discovered that my Clover boot manager attempt did actually work. Having already created a USB using Clover I was initially disappointed to encounter that same message. In my grief and thinking what else could I do after a rather long pregnant pause the Clover menu came up. Neat.

Something amiss though in the USB for although it boots up with a screen of options and running disk utility to select the target disk it procedes and takes 10 mins to complete the target disk has virtually nothing on it. The reason for this is simple as the boot USB has b....r all on it and when I try to copy essentials onto it I get the message that I cannot replace whatever ... because it is invisible. That learning curve you mentioned!

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I have tried both chameleon and clover boot managers but mavericks drive will not boot if it is selected as boot drive in bios. At least if I select my mavericks drive as the boot drive default in org.chameleon.boot.plist on Lion or Mountain Line drives in same PC  it will boot every time. Guess this is where I give up.

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

So many errors and references to "org.voodoo.driver.ps2controller ..etc" but the kext is not in extensions or to be found anywhere. Is the kext in the kernel? Is it possible to remove it? Anybody know?

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars

So many errors and references to "org.voodoo.driver.ps2controller ..etc" but the kext is not in extensions or to be found anywhere. Is the kext in the kernel? Is it possible to remove it? Anybody know?

It is not in the kernel. It is also not part of OS X. It is something you added.

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I know  there were days with Snow Leopard, Line and Mountain Line when the only way I seemed to be able to get use of my keyboard and mouse was selecting voodoo in the setup. Neither of the 2 USB Maverick installations I created however are CUSTOMISABLE - there is no way to select or deselect anything. How could I have added it? More importantly where is it hiding out?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts

If you haven't installed it yourself, then it was installed by a 3rd party post installation helper tool that you used.

Check for Myhack.kext or the like

wasureppoi

wasureppoi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Actually that thought had occurred to me after I posted. Experimenting with boot loaders may have been my undoing although my "standalone" problem was active from the outset. I will start looking for myhack.kext or the like..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy